Capitalism is the engine driving man's betterment

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I was just giving my natural knee jerk reaction to something I read; you were making sweeping judgements about many countries healthcare systems. I dont believe you have sufficient knowledge of them. Im sure u are a nice guy but when u write posts like that u are gonna get shit back.
I didnt attack u as a character, just your opinions. I said u "sound like" a ranting... I hope Im wrong, truly I do.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Why does Scandinavia have such high suicide rates if people there are all so happy?

The ones left are happy, the miserable ones top themselves :smile:

Actually, there is a condition called SAD, I think it has something to do with lack of exposure to decent daylight.

The UK comes below the US in all those lifstyle poles. I wouldn't argue with that in the most general terms. The UK underperforms as well given its economic strength. I am just quite attached to the bit I live in.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
A heatwave is a natural disaster. Yeah a lot of people died because France, as you pointed out, hates air conditioning. In fairness though, France had never had such horrible heat before. By the time it arrived, there wasn't enough time to plan. We, however, knew hurricanes are a threat and have for centuries. We knew what would happen when one struck New Orleans and we failed to plan.

France has responded to the heatwave by creating a fund to allow seniors to buy subsidized air conditioners so that they can cool at least one room in their homes. The fact was most people were on vacation and health services were left with skeleton crews. Because of the lack of action the French Minister of Health was fired and the plan above was enacted.

I'd also like to say flat out bigbull29 is actually a pretty cool guy. He's intelligent, thoughtful, and genuinely nice. If you think he's an asshole then you've seriously misjudged the tenor of his argument.

Thanks for defending me, Jason. I also think you are a cool person.

I'm just been completely misunderstood in this thread. I was trying to look at things from an American perspective (not really my own). Culture, lifestyle norms and personal likes and dislikes will often take precedence over reason when comparing economic systems among different countries.

For example, in America, size matters. We don't like little things in general (I, personally, do like some little things). So when Americans are overseas, they often complain about everything being inconveniently small. This one factor could make them not feel "comfortable", leaving them permenantly annoyed with "all-is-small countries." Yes, that seems very silly, but people in the US are hellbent on being comfortable. Consquently, it's hard to get Americans to see other economic systems for what they truly are, better or worse.

I think it was the personal items you cited that made it appear as though you weren't playing devil's advocate. I know you're not a Philistine.

You're welcome and no thanks necessary.

wellhunginnyc

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OP is correct in his basic points. I encourage him not to back down just because some people think capitalism is evil since they aren't millionaires and have to actually, like, you know pay for things.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
OP is correct in his basic points. I encourage him not to back down just because some people think capitalism is evil since they aren't millionaires and have to actually, like, you know pay for things.

Interesting selection for your inaugural post here at LPSG....welcome.