Captain Beefheart Dies at 69

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Via Gawker:

Iconoclastic rocker Don Van Vliet aka Captain Beefheart died yesterday at 69 of complications stemming from multiple sclerosis.

I came late to the Beefheart party, as I was too young to have heard the earlier stuff that made him a household name (to the extent that he ever was one). I was 20 when I first heard Ashtray Heart on college radio and bought Doc At The Radar Station, which burned a hole right through me.

RIP

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The late John Peel considered him the only true rock 'n' roll genius. His influence can be heard in a diverse list of artists. From The Doors, Tom Waits, Devo, U2, P.J. Harvey. The list is endless. He fathered the punk and new wave movement in music. He had been ill for many years. However he continued to paint. His music was as diverse as his influence on others. Ashtray Heart is a mind blowing masterpiece. So in honor of him i will post some of the many styles of his wonderful music. Music was like paint too Don. A true artist indeed.

YouTube - Captain Beefheart - Ice Cream for Crow (HIgh Resolution)

YouTube - Captain Beefheart & Magic Band - Sure 'nuff 'n Yes I do

YouTube - Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band My Human Gets Me Blues

YouTube - Captain Beefheart Too Much Time & Circumstances
Clear Spot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqYfmfEqi20
Her Eyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fO9bHuRxpU

Last edited:

leapyear

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks Mr. Snakey, great postings that hopefully will not only conjure up some good recollections for some readers but perhaps introduce his true genius to some of the uninitiated eg. younger LPSG viewers.

BTW I still miss John PEEL and keep wondering who, if anyone, will aspire to assume his position. Jarvis COCKER has been extremely good but admits it's a too big a pair of boots to fill. Sigh.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks Mr. Snakey, great postings that hopefully will not only conjure up some good recollections for some readers but perhaps introduce his true genius to some of the uninitiated eg. younger LPSG viewers.

BTW I still miss John PEEL and keep wondering who, if anyone, will aspire to assume his position. Jarvis COCKER has been extremely good but admits it's a too big a pair of boots to fill. Sigh.
A few record companies talked him into going mainstream for two albums. He disowned the albums and told fans to take the albums back and demand a refund. I however liked the two albums as many other fans did. Perhaps this is a better place for a person new to his music to start. Trout Mask Replica may be too much on the average listener as a introduction too his music. What a wonderful voice he had. Here are two beautiful songs from those albums.

YouTube - Captain Beefheart - This Is The Day

YouTube - Captain Beefheart - Bluejeans and Moonbeams