car accident -- I'm OK, & the other driver is, but my car isn't

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Why, oh WHY, do teenagers have to pull out in front of you without looking when you're going 45 mph?

I had the choice of ramming her car in her driver's door (and quite possibly hurting her badly or killing her) or aiming for her front bumper. I had only about a second to turn the wheel while seeing her face less than a car length in front of my car. I'm replaying the whole thing in my head every few minutes, now--still aghast at how close I was to randomly snuffing out another person's life.

She called me up last night after the wreck to apologize. I was gentle--I didn't shout "What the HELL were you THINKING??!!"--and I explained to her, rather mildly, that I am still shocked by how close she came to death. I think she got it.

Maybe she'll look both ways on a busy street before pulling out into traffic, next time.

NCbear (who's wondering why the USA doesn't have a more stringent test for earning the driver's license, like Europe does)

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
well, i'm glad you weren't too hard on her. it was an accident in all senses of the world. i know when i first started driving at 19, (January made a year) i was terrified and would do stupid things like she did. i got into about two minor accidents, and basically destroyed the bumper on one of the cars i was driving. it's great that nothing serious happened, but i;m sorry about your car...

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Thank y' kindly, SpeedoMike. And prince will. And Mademoiselle Thinking Kinkily. :)

NCbear (who started this thread to express his deep and profound shock at how easy it is for someone to die, in a moment, due to some completely unexpected event)

Mr._dB

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
At least you saw her face. When I have these kinds of incidents (all close calls so far...), it's usually the back of her head that I see.

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
NCbear (who's wondering why the USA doesn't have a more stringent test for earning the driver's license, like Europe does)

Glad to hear you are ok and that she wasn't hurt. Could have been a lot worse if you had of t-boned her

Also i always thought America had quite a good record of teaching learner driver with schools doing driver Ed courses.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Also i always thought America had quite a good record of teaching learner driver with schools doing driver Ed courses.

Most states don't even require a road test anymore. Any sixteen year-old with a birth certificate and proof of insurance can take a written exam, pay some money and get a license.

NCB, glad everyone was OK. I decided long ago to base my situational awareness on the presumption that everyone on the road around me is a complete fucktard. I find it gives me great success in predicting their actions and adjusting as necessary to keep myself out of harm's way.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Most states don't even require a road test anymore. Any sixteen year-old with a birth certificate and proof of insurance can take a written exam, pay some money and get a license.

NCB, glad everyone was OK. I decided long ago to base my situational awareness on the presumption that everyone on the road around me is a complete fucktard. I find it gives me great success in predicting their actions and adjusting as necessary to keep myself out of harm's way.
That's how it is in Ontario. Write a written test and then you can drive.

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media

Sounds similar to here

Computer test - L's
Driving test
- Red P's
Driving test - Green P's
Driving test - Full license

So to get your initial license there is no driving test but by the time you reach your full license there is 3 road test

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
NC--I am glad to hear that both you and she are okay. Moments like this cause us to reflect on a lot of things. I am hoping she comes away from this experience as a safer driver. And yes, we do give out driving privileges much too loosely.

WessexEN

Experimental Member
Media
If you look out of the window of a passing train,
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Love my car, but that's not the important thing.

It just shocks me how close I was to hurting her badly or even killing her.

NCbear (who was young once, too, and did stupid things then, too :rolleyes::tongue:)

Cars are nothing!

In November 07, some guy went under a train at Alresford while drunk, which is on the line I worked (If I was on the diesel loco 2 weeks later, I would of witnessed that!), hearning that is bad enough, except a week later, I was comming back from Ropley, got the train from Fratton to Fishbourne and when I got off, I saw another one approach in the distance (in the opposite direction).

The layout at Fishbourne is 2 platforms with a level crossing between the 2. Anyway, the signal was cleared for the train, so I knew it wasn't stopping, so the "stopper" service leaves and the 2 girls, divided by the 2 lines were too busy talking to each other when one decided to start moving, so I yelled to her "GET BACK", which she response instantly to.

The fact is, she was WAY too close to begin with and if she inched any further, that would be the end of her.

The problem? Less than 10 seconds later, the train passes at 75mph without blasting its horn and I recieve a load of abuse. The girl I estimate was only 16.

Now, I have been trained to cross lines, I have been trained how to walk within the railway boundury and I can safely say, it is the most hazardous thing you can do (even at a piddly slow 25mph). When I was at Alton, I specificly asked the signaller to ask the drivers to give us plenty of warning before approaching the group I was in location, one did happily, the other left it to the last bloody minute and I was like "oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, get out the way!". By that time, he was 100yards away!

Now, someone close to that, certaintly doesn't want to see a "one under" and imagine waht the driver would be like. Even if it has been done (When a train derailed, it stopped quicker), you still cannot stop a train within the distance the driver had.

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I'm glad you're ok NC Bear. I'm sorry it happened to you.
As Lex said, "we do give out driving priveleges much to loosely".
Almost every time Iv'e been hit, it was from a young person,the last time totalled my mothers car.I'm still paying for that one pain wise.
I do hope yoou aren't in too much pain,my dear,and that you have adequate pain relief.
gentle hugs{in case of pain!}
cigarbabe:saevil:

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
That's how it is in Ontario. Write a written test and then you can drive.

With someone else who has completed their test and 2 road tests for FOUR years.

It's not a bad system. Kids start at 16 and then get about 8-12 months to practice driving with parents/older siblings/driving instructors. That's not so bad.

Of course, NCbear, you have my thoughts and best wishes. Glad you are ok. I almost lost my mother in an accident a few weeks ago, thanks to one of those 'teens' you spoke of.

Jeff Black (who is ending his post this way to show respect for NCbear)