Car Art And Photos!!

BillM

LPSG Legend
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Beverly Hills (California, United States)
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

One Year Only: 1954 Kaiser Darrin Convertible​

1971-Cuda-24x24.jpg
Mike Stephens

The fifties were a fun and innovative time period in the course of automotive history, with one of the many reasons including it being the decade when the fiberglass-bodied car we all know and many of us love was introduced. But a lesser-known U.S. builder also came out with a sports car around the same time that utilized the same body material, although it was a very short-lived endeavor. That car is the Kaiser Darrin, billed as a 1954 model with a total of only 435 production examples manufactured during its brief run, so they’re in short supply and don’t often turn up for sale. If the idea of owning a rare and unusual 50s two-seater that’s bound to turn heads and raise questions everywhere you go turns you on, this 1954 Kaiser Darrin here on Craigslist would probably tick all those boxes and more. It’s in Magnolia, Texas, and you’re going to need nearly a hundred grand stashed away before summoning the seller.

Barn Finds reader T.J. has sent us lots of great tips recently, and we’d like to thank him for this one and all the others! If I had to pick a favorite feature about the body, it would probably be the doors, which instead of opening out slide into the front fenders on a track. I’m surprised this design didn’t catch on, as it appears like an efficient way to both enter and exit a vehicle, and is kind of one of those cases when form and function seem to blend together nicely.

We don’t really get much in the way of the car’s past or how long the seller has owned it, but he does claim the Darrin is in excellent condition with the paint described as the same, although he does add that there are some slight flaws in the finish. This seems like a more than reasonable assessment, as I’m having trouble finding much to fault regarding the body or paint job, plus the top is looking pretty good too. Another cool feature is the convertible being able to be utilized in three positions, including up, down, or in a Targa stance.

I was sort of expecting the hood to be hinged from the front, but that’s not the case, and I was pleased to see how well things present in the engine compartment. Everything appears to be in good order in the bay area, with the seller stating that the motor has good compression and runs well, plus there’s also been some recent maintenance including new spark plugs, wires, points, cap, rotor, and coil. Quite a bit of brake work has also been performed along with a fresh radiator flush, and additionally, both the carburetor and fuel pump have been rebuilt.

Surprisingly, the owner doesn’t specifically mention anything at all about the interior, but everything inside that’s visible either looks like it’s well-preserved or has been redone to a high-quality standard. I’m also liking how the painted areas inside match the exterior color, and overall this seems like a fine example of a Kaiser Darrin. I can envision way worse ways to spend $99,000, which is about the median sale value according to data from Concept Carz. What do you think?

farmhand

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

One Year Only: 1954 Kaiser Darrin Convertible​

1971-Cuda-24x24.jpg
Mike Stephens

The fifties were a fun and innovative time period in the course of automotive history, with one of the many reasons including it being the decade when the fiberglass-bodied car we all know and many of us love was introduced. But a lesser-known U.S. builder also came out with a sports car around the same time that utilized the same body material, although it was a very short-lived endeavor. That car is the Kaiser Darrin, billed as a 1954 model with a total of only 435 production examples manufactured during its brief run, so they’re in short supply and don’t often turn up for sale. If the idea of owning a rare and unusual 50s two-seater that’s bound to turn heads and raise questions everywhere you go turns you on, this 1954 Kaiser Darrin here on Craigslist would probably tick all those boxes and more. It’s in Magnolia, Texas, and you’re going to need nearly a hundred grand stashed away before summoning the seller.

Barn Finds reader T.J. has sent us lots of great tips recently, and we’d like to thank him for this one and all the others! If I had to pick a favorite feature about the body, it would probably be the doors, which instead of opening out slide into the front fenders on a track. I’m surprised this design didn’t catch on, as it appears like an efficient way to both enter and exit a vehicle, and is kind of one of those cases when form and function seem to blend together nicely.

We don’t really get much in the way of the car’s past or how long the seller has owned it, but he does claim the Darrin is in excellent condition with the paint described as the same, although he does add that there are some slight flaws in the finish. This seems like a more than reasonable assessment, as I’m having trouble finding much to fault regarding the body or paint job, plus the top is looking pretty good too. Another cool feature is the convertible being able to be utilized in three positions, including up, down, or in a Targa stance.

I was sort of expecting the hood to be hinged from the front, but that’s not the case, and I was pleased to see how well things present in the engine compartment. Everything appears to be in good order in the bay area, with the seller stating that the motor has good compression and runs well, plus there’s also been some recent maintenance including new spark plugs, wires, points, cap, rotor, and coil. Quite a bit of brake work has also been performed along with a fresh radiator flush, and additionally, both the carburetor and fuel pump have been rebuilt.

Surprisingly, the owner doesn’t specifically mention anything at all about the interior, but everything inside that’s visible either looks like it’s well-preserved or has been redone to a high-quality standard. I’m also liking how the painted areas inside match the exterior color, and overall this seems like a fine example of a Kaiser Darrin. I can envision way worse ways to spend $99,000, which is about the median sale value according to data from Concept Carz. What do you think?

Replying rather than separate own post because same marque
OWN 1951 Henry J (with the super 6-cylinder rather than "standard" 4) when attempted get a "glamour shot" atop a St. Joseph MO bluff May 1972 (penciled on 35mm slide)

And another, cannot recall where [Independence MO?] some KFOC (Kaiser Frazer Owner Club) meet 35mm slide processor marked Sep 1972 -- and apparently MY HJ for some reason rather "distanced" from others (maybe others departed?)

At KFOC meet you'll see a number of the Kaiser Darrins

Attachments

Last edited: