Car insurance

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Doewell Dadong, Aug 12, 2009.

1. D_Doewell Dadong

D_Doewell Dadong New Member

My insurance is due at the end of the month and i'm go the process of getting quotes. My renewal quote from my current insurer is £90 more than last year this is derive me having full no claims bonus, no points on my licence, no claims against my insurance, and i'm married. H've been on all the price comparison websites and the cheapest is over £500. So i phoned some local brokers, and two of them wouldn't quote me because of my post (zip) code.

Very very frustrated. (The car is only group 4 too)

End of rant

2. warren84

warren84 Member

Albums:
    Running a car in the UK is just ridiculously expensive now. I think I'm going to give up and buy a scooter to get around on!

3. liberia

liberia New Member

Albums:
    This year I insured my car through the Post Office( they are just agents for N.Union). I have a big 3 litre Volvo and the premium was about £270 for fully comp.

4. D_Doewell Dadong

If i didn't have kids to ferry about i'd get a scooter myself. Even considering a very limited mileage policy and getting a Scooter to commute.
    I like volvos, i take it that you have a 940 then. (Post office wanted over 700 quid for me)

5. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    Have you tried Churchills?, i managed to get 200 quid saving from previous company, however it does piss me off that i have to pay 40 quid to protect my no claims bonus, big F...ing rip off for sure.

6. JF

JF
    Gold Member

I always use the comparison sites to shop around - even trying a couple of sites can give different results with the same insurer. Obviously, protecting NCB is a good thing as dropping back down after a claim will cost more in the long run. It also seems that some sites / insurers have promotions at different times of the year - if you're consistently seeing a high price at renewal time maybe take out a decent policy now, test the waters in a few months time to see if any better deals are around, then cancel your new policy part way through - obviously ensure that any cancellation costs aren't too extreme.

I know that some companies also do a 10 month deal - the intention of which is to allow you to get a year's NCB after 10 months to build it up more quickly - so long as you don't have any claims in the 10 months they give you a whole year's worth of NCB at your renewal time. This could also help you move the renewal date around a little.

This year's renewal for my car came in more than previous year's, so with shopping around I was able to get a better policy with lower voluntary excesses, as well as breakdown & legal cover for less than my original renewal quote. The days of customer loyalty seem to be long gone.

7. D_Doewell Dadong

Tried churchill and swift cover both so uncompetive that it was like usain bolt running against dom deluise. Tried all the price comparison sites and basicaly they are all shit
    A few companies just wouldn't quote when i mentioned my post code.

Lost my rag with one insurance company yesterday.

8. Viking_UK

Gold Member

Have you tried Direct Line? I've been with them for years now and their quotes have been pretty consistent and very competitive.

9. D_Doewell Dadong

They were very expensive.

10. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    Hey O/T, just to say, last night my neighbours knocked my door to tell me that my parked car had been smashed along with 3 other cars as the thieves were trying to steal a van.My car is smashed at the back and the side, my insurance company say its classed as my fault as it was a Hit & Run, i am fucking furious.

11. Principessa

Gold Member

12. D_Relentless Original

Albums:

13. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

14. Principessa

Gold Member

15. D_Doewell Dadong

Insurance companies will find any excuse to get out of paying out. I'm sure there is a central pot for people who are affected by uninsured drivers. So a hit and run should be no different.

Lost my rag = got jolly well annoyed.

Draft saved Draft deleted