Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm dumbfounded by what is an ample amount of carats for an engagement ring without it looking gaudy. Any advice? And how the hell do I get her ring size without her knowing???

Ed69

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Diamonds are as common as gravel,I use them for sharpening my knives.Buy a ruby,emeraled,saphire or an opal.Plantinum,gold and silver make good settings for these stones.
As for how to get her size,just make a good guess.Then the ring can be resized to fit her

The sum spent is traditionally 3 months of your earnings. You can either go with a large stone of lesser quality or a smaller stone of higher quality. You may choose to get a diamond or another type of stone. Setting is important too. Like shoes, women notice these things where men usually don't.

All in all, I say propose first and then go engagement ring shopping. That way you can find out what stones she likes, what styles, and what metal to pair the stone with. It also means that if she declines your proposal you're not stuck with an expensive memento of a failed relationship. The idea of presenting her with a ring is romantic but impractical for most people. By letting her in on the process she'll get a ring she likes and it shows respectful consideration for her taste.

Good luck!

D_Doewell Dadong

Experimental Member
Media
A single one crt stone would be more than enough. Just make sure its of a good grade. As for the size pinch one of her rings and take it to the jewellers they will size it then slip the ring back somewhere she will find it.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm dumbfounded by what is an ample amount of carats for an engagement ring without it looking gaudy. Any advice? And how the hell do I get her ring size without her knowing???[/QUOTE] It really depends on your budget; but IMHO the center stone should be at least one carat and of the best quality you can afford. Better a smaller diamond of excellent clarity than a larger one with visible flaws. :cool:

The best way that I know of to get the
correct finger size for that Engagement Ring is to ask her Best Friend and if that doesn't work, ask her Mother!

BUT, you've got to get them to swear to total confidentiality! Once they know it's an Engagement Ring and a proposal is coming, they'll zip their lips quicker than you can say "Zip it!"

How to Buy an Engagement Diamond in 12 Simple Sentences

http://www.ehow.com/how_5012398_buy-engagement-diamond-simple-sentences.html

For engagement rings, stones other than diamonds are common in Europe (remember Princess Diana's lovely sapphire ring?) as are using birthstones. There are many stunning colored stones outside of diamonds and cost less as their monopolies aren't as powerful as DeBeers is. Some tourmaline cost far more per carat than diamonds. Opals, as Ed69 suggested, are spectacular though they're quite delicate and require special care.

Diamonds, in general, are a rip-off. Over 60 million gem-quality carats are produced a year. That's about 12 metric tons. Fancy colored diamonds, particularly blue, green, canary yellow, and (especially) red, are extremely rare but also extremely expensive. Brown or champagne colored diamonds cost less but the closer it is to canary yellow, the more expensive it will be.

Just to give you an idea of the sheer range of gemstones out there, take a look at this page. I'm not affiliated with it in any way. It's just a good site to explore rare but beautiful gem stones which might give your intended a ring that will cause jaws to drop, envy to follow, and they're not diamonds.

If you do have your heart set on a diamond though, look for estate jewelry. Setting a ring is actually relatively cheap. A diamond solitaire pendant or brooch, styles popular back when, can be purchased at a fair price and then reset as a ring.

Honey123

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't listen to ED69. Go to your library and check out a book on purchasing a diamond - or buy a book at a bookstore. There are many to choose from. Reading a book first can save you $$$ thousands of dollars because you will have an understanding of the basics and be more business minded and less love influenced. Do not think of it as an investment because a $10k diamond ring is worth 1/4 of that if you wish to re-sale it later. Be shrewed about it, and do not be afraid to look at pawn shops but be sure to get an unbiased appraisal if you go with a pawn shop though. If they won't let you take the ring to be appraised then move onto the next store.

Stay away from the mall stores. Seriously. They will try to sale you a ring that costs about 2-3 months salary, some will say she's worth 6 months salary. They all want you to finance the ring so they can get high interest rates from you too. It is better to live poor for a few months and save up some money to buy a ring than go in debt for it. Trust me, the wedding will be more than you can afford without the bill for the ring too.

www.shaneco.com gives you the chance to see what some options are and how much you can expect to spend for a specific size diamond etc. They also have decent prices (wish we'd gotten my ring there is all I'm saying). There are also other options available. Shop it smart, don't fall in love with it and buy it because it's "the one".

Less than 1% of diamonds are over 1 carat in size, so getting a diamond around 1 carat of E color (A, B, and C are almost non-existent anymore) with a clarity of say VS1 or VVS2 will run you around $10K.

As far as getting her size.... there is no way to do that without asking - or swiping another ring that she wears for the day. If she is thin, go with a 6 - if she is plump, start with a 7. Any jeweler of quality will permit you to start out with a simple band and then resize or upgrade the setting if you choose (some girls prefer the simple band actually).

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!

Last edited:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DO NOT listen to Jason_Els on this particular topic! No woman wants anything on those pages he linked. No offense Jason, but they look like costume crap from grandma's jewelry box. All that says is I'm marrying a man with no money and no clue.:rolleyes:

Honey123 is correct though, stay away from mall stores and chain stores.

Assuming she is an American, and black you better get her a diamond she can see w/o a jewelers loupe. When she tells her friends she is engaged they will demand to see the ring, and they shouldn't have to squint to see it.

The only time it is acceptable to use the birthstone as an engagement ring stone is when you really can't afford a decent diamond. So if she is born in May, a large (2+ carats) emerald surrounded by small diamonds is acceptable.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I agree buy a diamond, unless she has expressed interest in another stone, woman want "the rock" Again three months salary is a general guide. Diamonds come in colors the F-G and even some of the H stones are still very white and clean looking. You then have to deal with clarity of the stone, VVSI 1 means that the stone will be very very slightly included there are still beautiful SI 1 stones which means it's slightly included. You then have to determine the shape, round in the most popular. and at last but not least carat weight. A carat or 1.0 tcw is a beautiful ring. To get her size check out her jewelry box or a ring that would fit her ring finger, then slip it on one of your own fingers and see where it fits and when you go to buy the ring slip it on your finger. You also have to determine if you want the ring in 18K white or yellow gold. What does she wear more of white or yellow gold? My advice with engagement rings is platinum it's sturdy and will endure a lifetime of wear.When you give an engagement ring she will want to wear it and not have to take it off for sizing. BTW Congratulations!
So if you go into a jewelry store that has a bridal section Ask to see what they have in a 1 carat round G-H SI1 category and take it from there.

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm dumbfounded by what is an ample amount of carats for an engagement ring without it looking gaudy. Any advice? And how the hell do I get her ring size without her knowing???
The internet is this amazing place. Do a search on diamonds. The basic four c's

The 4 C's of diamonds -- diamond clarity, diamond colors, diamond cuts, diamond weights -- diamond grades for the diamond buyer

as NJ said set a price range and then get the best quality diamond within that range.

The three months salary is BS that the diamond industry started spouting about 15 years ago, before that it was two months salary.

You have to know your girl. Is she the type who would be hurt if you only spent one month's salary because you are saving for a house, or is she smart enough about things like that.

Sizing is tough, but if she is a heavy sleeper you can wrap a string around her finger to get the basic size and have it resized later. With that always go a little larger.

Also, you could just buy the diamond give her that in a box and tell her that you wanted her to pick out the ring.

You don't say where you are, but if you can get to the diamond district in NY and are a good haggler then you should do it.

I picked out a diamond. I then went to a local jeweler. They wanted almost 2 times what I ended up paying for it in NYC. This guy wasn't one of the store front guys. He had his own litttle office there. I went up, and spent an hour looking at around 20 different ones through a loop.

We then took the one I picked to a lab for certification.

Good luck

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I would think a very high quality diamond in the one carat range would be nice. But I am not a huge fan buying a new diamond.
My first fiancee got a 3 carat diamond and platinum ring that belonged to my great grandmother. That was a surprise for her and she loved it.

The second one knew we were going to get married so i surprised her with a trip to "The Goldsmith" in Chicago so she could try things on and see what she liked. She ended up with a 1930s 4 carat pale blue sapphire surrounded in diamonds set in platinum. There are excellent engagement rings that are older and classic, but it all depends on her style and personality and of course what you can comfortably afford.

Good luck and keep us posted!

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I would think a very high quality diamond in the one carat range would be nice. But I am not a huge fan buying a new diamond.
My first fiancee got a 3 carat diamond and platinum ring that belonged to my great grandmother. That was a surprise for her and she loved it.

The second one knew we were going to get married so i surprised her with a trip to "The Goldsmith" in Chicago so she could try things on and see what she liked. She ended up with a 1930s 4 carat pale blue sapphire surrounded in diamonds set in platinum. There are excellent engagement rings that are older and classic, but it all depends on her style and personality and of course what you can comfortably afford.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Wow a 3 carat diamond that old. Pretty impressive. The thing about the old diamonds is they didn't play with them as much. They were what they were. Not a bad idea, but I can see either way as some people want to be the first owner.

Last edited:

BuddyX

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I agree that three carats is way good. But whatever you do, don't go apeshit like one of the Jonas Bros did when he gave his fiance a

(hold on to your fucking hat)

three-carat cushion-cut diamond set in platinum above double shank band with 210 round pave diamonds. :eek:

Exclusive Details: Kevin Jonas’s Engagement Ring for Danielle Deleasa Revealed!

Yes, you read correctly: 210 diamonds. Unless he thinks that the path to Narnia can be found via her vagina, I can't fathom going that far with a symbol of undying love.

Captain Elephant

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OK, here's all I know. When I was dating my now second-wife, I was looking at rings until I was cross-eyed. I wanted it to be something special, so I examined settings and bands and all sorts of stuff.

Out of the blue I get a call from a very close friend and I finally tell her what I'm doing. All she says is "Get a rock." That's it, just get a rock, a solitaire. No fancy bands, no flower petals, no chips or bunches of diamonds. A simple one-carat solitaire of sufficient quality, no less than an I, and you're good to go.

Wifey verifies that this is fact.

lickme69

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The sum spent is traditionally 3 months of your earnings. You can either go with a large stone of lesser quality or a smaller stone of higher quality. You may choose to get a diamond or another type of stone. Setting is important too. Like shoes, women notice these things where men usually don't.

All in all, I say propose first and then go engagement ring shopping. That way you can find out what stones she likes, what styles, and what metal to pair the stone with. It also means that if she declines your proposal you're not stuck with an expensive memento of a failed relationship. The idea of presenting her with a ring is romantic but impractical for most people. By letting her in on the process she'll get a ring she likes and it shows respectful consideration for her taste.

Good luck!
I agree with you on everyhting you have to say except about not buying the ring and presenting it to her when he proposes. Every girl would like to have a ring presented to her when a man proposes. I really do not think he is worried about her saying no. That rarely happens. I amsure he has an idea of her feelings becasue most men wouldn't propose if they thought the answer may be no.
The ring can always be resized afterwards. If he really wants to take the chance on taking one of hers to get the size, I say okay, but be careful.
Good luck! :smile:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So if you go into a jewelry store that has a bridal section Ask to see what they have in a 1 carat round G-H SI1 category and take it from there.
Excellent advice! Although I am partial to the traditional 6-prong Tiffany type setting. IMHO round diamonds often look square in a 4-prong setting. :cool:

I would think a very high quality diamond in the one carat range would be nice.
But I am not a huge fan buying a new diamond.
A family heirloom (of any size) is always a welcome surprise for a bride to be! It helps to calm any qualms that she may have about his family accepting her.:cool: In some familys grandmas ring will not be given without full approval from his side of the family.

The second one knew we were going to get married so i surprised her with a trip to "The Goldsmith" in Chicago so she could try things on and see what she liked. She ended up with a 1930s 4 carat pale blue sapphire surrounded in diamonds set in platinum. There are excellent engagement rings that are older and classic, but it all depends on her style and personality and of course what you can comfortably afford.Good luck and keep us posted!
While I am fond of antique and estate jewelry; I think I'd rather have something simple that won't look out of place worn everyday for the rest of my life.

OK, here's all I know. When I was dating my now second-wife, I was looking at rings until I was cross-eyed. I wanted it to be something special, so I examined settings and bands and all sorts of stuff.
Out of the blue I get a call from a very close friend and I finally tell her what I'm doing. All she says is "Get a rock." That's it, just get a rock, a solitaire. No fancy bands, no flower petals, no chips or bunches of diamonds. A simple one-carat solitaire of sufficient quality, no less than an I, and you're good to go.Wifey verifies that this is fact.
Excellent advice!

darkbond007

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
She wants a diamond ring. She actually showed me what she likes which can be seen in the movie "Two Lovers". It's a simple single diamond solitaire that looks like about half a carat.

I am going with my best friend to pick out the ring in September. I really don't want to spend 10K on the ring even though I can probably afford it. The ring needs to be simple. I do plan to go out and just look at rings but I just wanted to get a consensus of what is too small from people here who may know.

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
She wants a diamond ring. She actually showed me what she likes which can be seen in the movie "Two Lovers". It's a simple single diamond solitaire that looks like about half a carat.

I am going with my best friend to pick out the ring in September. I really don't want to spend 10K on the ring even though I can probably afford it. The ring needs to be simple. I do plan to go out and just look at rings but I just wanted to get a consensus of what is too small from people here who may know.
Ok where do you live?

A simple half carat diamond of good quality should not be more than 5k. You probably want 3/4 to 1 c trust me. half a carat is small