Careers

Student21

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
(I tried to do a search for this but it said Premium Members only.) I was wondering what everyone's careers were? I am in college right now and can't figure out what I want to do when I grow up lol. Right now I'm a Computer Science major and I don't know if its the path I want to take or not. If you could just please post your careers and some perks to your workplace and quality of life, stuff like that.

Landshark77

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Student21@May 15 2005, 03:55 PM
(I tried to do a search for this but it said Premium Members only.) I was wondering what everyone's careers were? I am in college right now and can't figure out what I want to do when I grow up lol. Right now I'm a Computer Science major and I don't know if its the path I want to take or not. If you could just please post your careers and some perks to your workplace and quality of life, stuff like that.
[post=311377]Quoted post[/post]​

Student21,

Send me an email if you want to stay in the Computer Science field. I work for CSC a computer science firm, I might be able to help you find a job.

D

Landshark77

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Career - Sr. Lead Techcian on a goverenment contract that makes missles for homeland security. (No. This is no lie).

Workplace Perks - Pay.... thats about it. Oh... and there are a lot of restrooms around to retire to go rub one out.

Quality Of Life - Well... it was a little wild until October. Sometimes making too much money and having too much fun can land you in jail. Literally. :eek:

ravenously: Career, whats that? I used to be a Physics Major, but I dropped out and now I pour concrete. I plan to go back to school for programming, and I have an intrest in A.I. But, at least concrete keeps me buff. Oh, and I also perform as a fire dancer( I. E. staff spinning, poi, swords, breathing, devil sticks, ect.).

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Grad student in physics - Think poor but happy.

I work part-time as an engineer.

How do you spell intellectually boring?

Pay is decent.

Work environment: Not bad if you like being around people who have read 4 books in their life.

Camraderie and socialability: Excellent [They select people who can go live together on a project in the boonies for 6 months and not kill each other.]

jay

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I'm getting my Master's in family therapy though, as of late, I've been trying to decide in which direction I want to take my life. While becoming Dr. Dee doesn't sound like such a bad idea, I'm willing to put -- and my discipline, even -- on hold if I find a suitable full time job that maintains my creativity, gives me sufficient health benefits, and doesn't rot/wear out my brain too badly.

Upon reflection, I realized that one of the big reasons why I continued my education was that the job market didn't have much in the way of the philosophy major -- totally bucking an expectation of being "hot shit" once I got out of college. Sure, counseling and therapy are more "in-demand," but again, it's more important to me that I get a sufficient full-time job, even if it's not in my exact field of choice.

That said, take what you want to take, learn what you wish, enjoy those years, but be flexible and eager enough to work as best as you can in the job market.

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by DeeBlackthorne@May 15 2005, 06:56 PM
That said, take what you want to take, learn what you wish, enjoy those years, but be flexible and eager enough to work as best as you can in the job market.
[post=311422]Quoted post[/post]​
Great advice there. A lot of careers are lurking out there that we never think that anyone is actually doing, and you just can't predict what career may surface for you in the future.

I knew I wanted to teach, assuming I'd end up at the university, but I've ended up doing so at a community college and have found that this type of student is a good fit for my skills and interests. It's actually made me more relaxed and a better person.

It's one of those jobs you don't specifically set out to do but that kind of ends up just happening out of nowhere. (Of course, if you decide upon teaching, you should resign yourself to a life of poverty too.)

dufus

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I teach electrical engineering and I don't think I could have chosen a better career path. As far as being a student is concerned: I have been there. I have done that.

Student21

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Thanks for all the great replies. It's given me something to think about before school starts back up in August. I started looking through several different school guides to see course offerings and am thinking of leaning toward Architecture or Psychiatry. At least I have a few months to think it over lol.

Dr. Bubbles

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am an educational administrator (Assistant Vice Provost) and serve as faculty in the College of Education.

My ultimate goal -- so many... to become a President/Chancellor of an institution of higher learning and eventually to become politically involved within the federal system.

Pappy

Media
If you stay with Computer Sciences, make sure you get your CISCO Certification, it'll raise your start salary by about $50,000 per year. It's not the easiest thing to get but it is worth the effort.

Latinoboy9

Loved Member
Media
Second year student at UCONN for Chemical Technology! I am going to be a Chemical Tech., working part time now in chemical field when I am not swimming or lifting! Jose'Latinoboy9

db03

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I study Business and Spanish.

Currently on a work placement in a bank, and planning on finishing Uni in Madrid in the next 18 months.

After that I want to go into corporate law.

SpiceboyMJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
By day I am an office bitch...oh wait, I mean office manager. I also teach dance and I am a professional choreographer and musical theatre performer as well.