caring for your introvert (atlantic monthly article)....

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thank you so much for this! As a long-time introvert myself, I should print this out and give to my family and friends.

Well, I would do that.....if I wasn't so introverted, LOL.

concupisys

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
totally.... until i read this article, i always viewed being an introvert as a bad thing.... but it's not.... the world just doesn't know how to handle us, and is too busy vying for attention to do anything.... it will definitely help me in my future decision making about work, love, family and friends, and even complete strangers.... i breathed a quiet, unassuming sigh of relief....

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
totally.... until i read this article, i always viewed being an introvert as a bad thing.... but it's not.... the world just doesn't know how to handle us, and is too busy vying for attention to do anything.... it will definitely help me in my future decision making about work, love, family and friends, and even complete strangers.... i breathed a quiet, unassuming sigh of relief....

I've never viewed it as a bad thing, just never understood why some people act like it's a disease.

I do get quite irritated when people ask over and over what's wrong, why aren't you talking, why are you so quiet and so on.

I've never asked an extroverted person if they ever shut up.

D

deleted3782

I'm an INTJ on the Myers Briggs scale (the I is for introversion) so I've long recognized the introvert in me. Its true that people consider me a misanthrope, a loner, aloof, and all the other names they associate with introverts. The only trouble I have with who I am is when I start believing what everyone else says about me. The perspective the article gave about feeling exhausted after a public function is totally true for me. I feel wiped out after a party. At the end of a long day in my extroverted job...all I want to do is sit on the computer and lurk. Not good for meeting people or having a social life...but a price I've got to pay.

Serial Kisser

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm an INTJ on the Myers Briggs scale (the I is for introversion) so I've long recognized the introvert in me. Its true that people consider me a misanthrope, a loner, aloof, and all the other names they associate with introverts. The only trouble I have with who I am is when I start believing what everyone else says about me. The perspective the article gave about feeling exhausted after a public function is totally true for me. I feel wiped out after a party. At the end of a long day in my extroverted job...all I want to do is sit on the computer and lurk. Not good for meeting people or having a social life...but a price I've got to pay.

Twinsies

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That was a wonderful article thank you for posting it. I am not an introvert but sometimes I spend the majority of a day performing the dog and pony show and need quiet time to myself to recharge and regroup. I sometimes feel the same way after certain parties because I know I was invited to keep the conversation flowing in an upbeat yet subtle manner... (Someone needs to do an article on how wearing it can be at times to be an extrovert)

concupisys

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

august86

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Quints then.

Hi, I'm Prince Auggie and I'm an introvert and INTJ. :wink:

Thanks for posting this article. So many things rang true that it's quite scary- especially wrt small talk and being labelled as shy or nervous when you just don't feel the need to fill the silence with talk.

In my defence, I have made strides in accommodating extroverts by perpetuating conversation.

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
LOL! just send them a link to the article on the net.... that would be the introverted thing to do....

My parents are elderly so they can't be bothered with the 'net.....or even computers for that matter.

Maybe I'll just print it out and 'casually' leave it laying on their kitchen table or something - but I think that's more 'passive-aggressive' than 'introvert', lol.

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My partner of 7 years is a classic introvert. Sometimes I feel he thinks I don't understand or appreciate the differences between us, but I do. He also has it in his head that I'm the classic extrovert, which is really not true at all. I'm a "made" extrovert, someone whose career and family pressures more or less demanded that I live my life beyond the comfort zone I would have chosen for myself. I'm not saying I regret it -- I learned social skills I otherwise would totally have forsaken -- but it might not be who I "am". Actually, I'm as uncomfortable with the classic introvert mold as with the classic extrovert mold. Neither fits.

D_Dick_S_Lapp

Account Disabled
Media
My partner of 7 years is a classic introvert. Sometimes I feel he thinks I don't understand or appreciate the differences between us, but I do. He also has it in his head that I'm the classic extrovert, which is really not true at all. I'm a "made" extrovert, someone whose career and family pressures more or less demanded that I live my life beyond the comfort zone I would have chosen for myself. I'm not saying I regret it -- I learned social skills I otherwise would totally have forsaken -- but it might not be who I "am". Actually, I'm as uncomfortable with the classic introvert mold as with the classic extrovert mold. Neither fits.

I feel the same, not exactly one or the other. Though, i do prefer introversion. Much less complicated.