Cars For Clunkers - Legal Spyware

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I know this is Fox News.... but there's many other websites that are chiming in as well.

Breitbart.tv ‘Cash for Clunkers’ Rebate Program Allows Government to Take Control of Your Computer

Now....I have a feeling that the clause the U.S. Government originally intended was only for basic legal matters saying "If your on our system, your not going to submit anything bad (Viruses) or do any corrupt behavior"
But it seems that it is reversed.

I hate the Cars for Clunkers program.

It is the WORST idea I have ever heard, and for good reasons:
1. It's destroying many good used parts.
2. It's going to do major damage to salvage yards since the cars are only good for scrap metal.
3. Your eliminating a huge chunk of cars from the used car market.
4. Your chopping out a huge chunk of the middle class who need a cheap vehicle, because they cant afford new.
5. Your artificially jacking up the prices of the used car part market (simple supply and demand)
6. This program is placing cars into peoples hands that will possibly default on the loans, thus returning more of these new POS cars to the market.
7. Has anyone actually got the Reebate yet? Last I heard, people were still waiting. Worse, some dealers will have to call customers back for the additional reebate money they weren't re-imbursed for.

Many of these cars just need a tuneup. If I can knock down 18mpg with a 355CID Chevy with a Holley 750 double pumper up top and 31" tires...there's no reason why these newer cars can't be repaired.

This is proof that the American Society is truly disposable.

I watched our local dealership destroy a truck in the dealer lot.
They drained the oil and antifreeze, and then ran the motor up until it blew. Bastards. It was a Clean truck, and I didn't see anything wrong with it.

You want better Gas Mileage?
1. Unload shit you don't need to carry with you.
2. Check the air in your tires
3. Maintain your air filter, PCV valve, and Fuel Filter
4. Switch to Electric Cooling Fans
5. Every few months, run Sea-Foam through your gas.
6. Every 70,000 miles - CHANGE YOUR SPARK PLUGS (fuck that 100K - its not true)
7. Back Power Wash your radiator to clean out dust/dirt/bugs from the radiator and condensor. Not only will your engine run cooler and more efficient, but your AC will work better too.
8. Maintain your alignment.
9. High Mileage vehicles - Run Sea-Foam through the intake and flush out all the carbon on the top half of the engine (See the can instructions or online video)
10. I strongly recommend Full Synthetic Oil - if your car supports it - after 10,000 miles, and especially for high mileage vehicles (150K up). The results are staggaring on how much more efficient the engine runs, just by ear, and better when driven.

Don't support this program. It's only going to lead to more debt, more destroyed cars, and more revenue for the rich.

Last edited:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Thanks for the info Rikter. I have a question.

Did you mean it's ok to switch to synthetic oil after using normal oil. I seem to remember that it was not; but that was a few years ago. I have 2002 Focus that runs great, but lately I've noticed a bit of valve noise. Will synthetic help with that?

Germany has a similar cash for clunkers program. I almost cried when I saw a 1990 300E cabriolet being crushed.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It should quiet the lifters down a bit. Obviously if there's wear, the clearances are opened up and will chatter. All of my vehicles ran a bit quieter than before switching to Mobil 1.
Providing your user manual and you check your engines oil requirements, it should be fine to switch to synthetic.

BUT... You don't want to switch back or switch only when you have the extra money for it. I buy mine at the local auto parts store, and do it myself. Much cheaper.

The minimum requirement is around 8-10K miles, just to make sure your engine has had an opportunity to get worn in properly, and the rings to seat.
Otherwise, You'll have glazed cylinder walls and then a Smoker for the rest of it's life.

Thank you for reminding me of the Focus.

Timing Belts - replace them every 80-100K miles. Earlier if they are under severe usage.
Timing belts stretch, causing the timing to be slightly retarted or advanced. This can cause valve train instability, noise, and possible engine damage if a valve hits a piston. It also can reduce fuel economy since if timing is retarded, the computer may try to overcompensate with fuel, thus reducing mileage.

One other thing I forgot this morning:

Oxygen Sensors - Replace every 70-100K miles with OEM parts.
This is one thing you don't want to skimp on.
Many aftermarket sensors such as Bosch at Autozone only last 30K-60K miles.
Spend the money so your fuel sniffer can regulate fuel properly.

Last edited:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mods, feel free to delete this thread.

no need to delete the thread, you gave some very insightful and useful commentary by someone obviously very familiar with the auto industry...

i would suggest you reprint your OP in the thread i mentioned! It could use some more rational folks in it and your original post was very informative :smile:

kudos