cartoon bulge

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Oh, and on the Futurama episode where they're being invaded by Space Invaders, reversed wav and mp3 files reveal that Q*Bert is saying "Where can a guy get some pants around here?

prepstudinsc: [quote author=jonb link=board=meetgreet;num=1066010366;start=0#19 date=10/14/03 at 21:50:34]
How do people find these things out? Still remembers the "backward messages" on Judas Priest albums - an idea they stole from the Beatles. Of course, you can't play a record backward because the arm will always go inward.[/quote]

Because of the "hidden messages," I wasn't allowed to listen to a lot of rock/pop music growing up. My mother thought it was "Satanic." lol Compared to what is out there now, what I was listening to back in the early 80's was pretty tame.

7x6andchg: Actually, jonb, if you're manually turning the record counterclockwise, won't the arm follow the natural progression and play it in reverse....I'm one of the few (it seems) people my age or younger that remember record players...and being the sick child that I was I seem to remember listening to quite a few records that way just for S&G's...

7x6&C

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
When I was a kid my mom bought an old hand-cranked record player at a junk shop. I found that when you played Stone Cold Dead In the Market backwards it sounded like it said "Jesse James laid an ostrich egg."

Pecker

(I've taken up smoking. My doctor says I'm not getting enough tar in my diet.)

longtimelurker: [quote author=7x6+C link=board=meetgreet;num=1066010366;start=20#22 date=10/15/03 at 17:39:40]Actually, jonb, if you're manually turning the record counterclockwise, won't the arm follow the natural progression and play it in reverse....I'm one of the few (it seems) people my age or younger that remember record players...and being the sick child that I was I seem to remember listening to quite a few records that way just for S&G's...

7x6&C[/quote]

You're not the only one that thinks that (and at a mere 23, I remember record players - the first music that I bought was on vinyl!). Otherwise, what's the point in having a groove? It's not a very fast movement, so the lateral forces wont be that great, so it shouldn't need a motor (and you can manually push the arm back and forth with the turntable spinning, anyway - suggesting that it isn't mechanised)

gigantikok: [quote author=7x6+C link=board=meetgreet;num=1066010366;start=20#22 date=10/15/03 at 17:39:40]Actually I'm one of the few (it seems) people my age or younger that remember record players...[/quote]
Come now, record players aren't THAT old. And even 100 years from now, I'm sure people will still remember what record players were!

7x6andchg: Well we got rid of ours for a tape player when I was 10...so I presume, since we tended to pick up on technology slowly in my family, that anyone around 20-23 might have not ever seen one or used one.

Gigz - I presume vinyl will still be around, but...as a bit of an anachronism... sad...there is a character to records that other media can't touch.

Anyway - now back to the regularly scheduled topic.... ;D

7x6&C

Tender: well im 26.
and i remember record players very well. ::)

used to play some something about a magic dragon and something bout some little black hhhhm
sheesh, cant remember!
oh yes. little black sambo?
something about pancakes and going around a tree being chased by lions?
and of course dont forget Kenny Rogers, gambling with Ruby...

ok ok ok
i AM going to bed NOW lol

:D
Tender

Phallostrates: [quote author=Tender link=board=meetgreet;num=1066010366;start=20#28 date=10/20/03 at 20:40:28]little black sambo?
something about pancakes and going around a tree being chased by lions?
[/quote]

Tigers, not lions. "Little Black Sambo" was set in India. Thus my theory: the real reason that tigers are nearing extinction is that there are evil little Dravidian boys like Sambo are tricking the tigers into turning themselves to butter.

longtimelurker: [quote author=7x6+C link=board=meetgreet;num=1066010366;start=20#27 date=10/20/03 at 20:24:29]
Gigz - I presume vinyl will still be around, but...as a bit of an anachronism...  sad...there is a character to records that other media can't touch.
[/quote]

Well vinyl is still used preferentially for some music genres - most notably clubbing-type music. I presume because it's easier to mix on. Some 'white label' tracks are even released on vinyl only. Music stores here (at least the larger ones) tend to have at least a small vinyl section.

da_blissmachine: [quote author=Phallostrates link=board=meetgreet;num=1066010366;start=20#29 date=10/20/03 at 23:06:54]

. Tigers, not Lions"Little Black Sambo" was set in India. Thus my theory: the real reason that tigers are nearing extinction is that there are evil little Dravidian boys like Sambo are tricking the tigers into turning themselves to butter.
[/quote]

Yes, "Little Black Sambo" does involve tigers but there are lions in India too! The story also takes place in Bengal, so Sambo is not Dravidian, and the tigers were not changed to butter, but ghee, which is somewhat like butter but not the same.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
There used to be a chain of pancake restaurants here called "Little Black Sambo's". On the walls were murals depicting the story of the little boy, his mamma, the tigers and the pancakes. The place was always packed with families and young people.

Then suddenly, sometime in the 1970's, the name of the place was changed to "Sambo's". The murals disappeared. The ambience was gone. So were the customers.

Ghee whiz.

Pecker

(Some days it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps.)

meathose10: As a kid , when I grew up I wanted to be Lil Abner. He had so much muscle and cock he was about to bust loose from those torn shorts he was always wearing....

gigantikok: Gaston in Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" had a pretty big bulge too. I guess parents and people with sticks up their asses just decided to ignore it.

prepstudinsc: [quote author=Pecker link=board=meetgreet;num=1066010366;start=20#33 date=10/23/03 at 05:56:22]There used to be a chain of pancake restaurants here called "Little Black Sambo's".  On the walls were murals depicting the story of the little boy, his mamma, the tigers and the pancakes.  The place was always packed with families and young people.

Then suddenly, sometime in the 1970's,  the name of the place was changed to "Sambo's".  The murals disappeared.  The ambience was gone.  So were the customers.

Ghee whiz.

Pecker

(Some days it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps.)[/quote]

I remember when I was growing up in the 70's in California, going to eat at Sambo's. When I went off to college in Santa Barbara, in 1988, there was still a Sambo's there. It had closed its doors by 1989 or 1990, though. It must have been one of the last ones, if not the last one.

Regarding ghee, it's a butter derivative, I think, sort of like clarified butter. It's liquid and it's sort of a golden color. I have had to direct a couple of Hindu funerals, and in the ceremony, ghee is poured over the body right before it is cremated. At that point, it's not really polite to start asking questions about the ghee.

da_blissmachine: Ghee is sort of a butter product, often derived from water buffalo or ox milk instead of cow. it's very very sweet.... too much for my taste... I can barely choke it down in religious ceremonies.

gigantikok: Jesus, this has got to be the most "Out There" topic ever. Are you people aware of what topics have been covered during the course of this topic's short life?

Little Mermaid cover art to Disney sex jokes to Wally Wood to subliminal rock messages to hand cranked record players to "Black Sambo's" to ghee. Wow.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled topic (whatever the hell that may be).