Cat dilemma

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by avalonlovelove, Aug 18, 2007.

1. avalonlovelove

avalonlovelove New Member

I am so sad my cat is having to be put in an animal shelter next week and it breaks my heart.He has always been such a sweet cat just a little too rambunctious and mischievious at times.But he recently started swatting at my father's leg and biting him.He wasn't playing around either.My dad is diabetic and he could lose his legs very easily as is with the disease.But with my cat's ginzu knive claws it makes it even more possible.He is pretty old and we can't give him away because of how old he is and how violent he has become.I love him to death but sadly I know what to expect next week.If we take him to the shelter rest assured they will put him to sleep.We have already had to put one dog to sleep back in 2005 and that was painful enough.Plus I befriended everyone of my neighbors dogs who all wound up getting killed by cars or the worst of all poisoned.I know many people say they will never get another pet again after something like this happens.I definitely never want another animal.I am always playing with my cat and I seem to be the only one that really loves him or pays attention to him.Sure he has stunk up the house and gotten into things.But isn't that a cat's nature.I just know that next week is gonna be like deja vu all over again.I just wanted to ask people should i go to the shelter with him when he goes?I just don't know if I can do this again I really don't.I am tearing up as I write this it is just so hard.Never again never.I definitely won't buy or look at another animal.It will just be too painful.It's sad that when I found out the decision about the cat I thought well here we go again.I just hope everyone holds their companion close to them.Animals are such dear creatures.Thank you for listening everyone.My heart is breaking but I guess that's life.As cruel as life is sometimes.:frown1:

2. ActionBuddy

Gold Member

Albums:
    You don't tell us where you live, but, most major cities and many rural areas here in the USA have many choices for "No Kill" animal shelters. Google for info on this and you will likely find an alternative place to bring your beloved cat, no matter how old. Try PAWS - Progressive Animal Welfare Society and ask them for links in your neck of the woods.

Onan

3. SensualGoth

SensualGoth New Member

Albums:
    My ex had a cat like that .. She was evil. Sometimes they only like 1 person and that's it. Some cats are mental like that.

I know people are going to growl at me but sometimes declawing a cat helps, at least with the claw issue. Maybe find someone that can get along with your cat and see if they can take care of the cat?

4. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Cats don't normally "become" anything without cause. It's often their way of signalling something's amiss. Has kitty seen a vet recently?

5. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

No matter how old a cat is you can retrain him, a good way is to get one of those cooling aerosol sprays from the chemist and every time he goes near your father spray him with it, cats are intelligent it'll soon learn your dad is a no no, it's worth a try.

6. D_Tintagel_Demondong

Male cats can start acting crazy for all sorts of reasons. Maybe a Tom is spraying nearby. Maybe there's been a change to the household. Maybe your cat is in pain. Maybe your cat just hates your dad.

7. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Do a google search for cat rescue organizations in your area. There are people willing to be foster parents to difficult pets.

8. ManiacalMadMan

Gold Member

which is why you are putting him in the shelter
    A polite term for killing him off.
    Did you befriend them before or after they were killed by cars or poisoned? If it was before you may want to ask why they ran in front of vehicles or dran Draino after being with you If you got freindly with them after then you have some other serious psychiatric issues.
    Who are you Yogi Berra?
    Just pack his belongings in a nice designer bag open the door an point him towars the shelter telling him that it wiill be okay and that he will get lots of rest.
    Life goes on

9. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    ManiacalMadMan -- LOL -- bugger off, dude: you're too macho to be responding to this thread! :biggrin1: (This thread, obviously, is for people who understand "pet dependence"!):wink:

AvalonLoveLove this is absolutely the pits. If you can't find a no-kill shelter (as suggested by an earlier poster), then by all means BE THERE to say goodbye. I had to put down a dog a few years ago, and I always regretted not being there to say goodbye. On the other hand, I was there to say goodbye to a cat many years ago. The cat experience was harder, but easier on my conscience in the long run. But warning: It will be ROUGH!

And you should replace the pet as soon as decently possible. Out of respect to your father, may I suggest a pet that is caged? Pet rats can be very affectionate. Sometimes bunny rabbits too. Pet snakes can be interesting, and talking birds are GREAT if you can afford one or find someone willing to give you one. (Not fish or turtles: you're imagining things if you think they care about anything except the food you drop in the top.)

Spend some time in a pet store and check out your options.

The ultimate solution will be getting a place of your own. I hope you're using this time to further your education so that you can eventually get a great career and afford your own "castle."

Good luck. :wink:

10. MidwestGal

MidwestGal Member

Albums:
    I would take the cat to a vet if you have the resources. Most of the time there is a reason they act out and a lot of times it's medical. Otherwise, do your best to find a no kill shelter.

Earlier this year we had to put one of our cats at a no kill shelter. She had been living with my mom while I took care of my grandma. But mom broke her leg and couldn't keep up with three cats (this one was a year old). But she was adopted in three weeks, she was a very social and loveable cat though.

Good luck!

11. B_Just Joe

B_Just Joe New Member

also remember cats are very much like people as far as personality goes. sometimes they just dont like someone or have a bad day. bt i would agree with taking kitty to the vet. and if nothing is wrong it could be something you dad is eating or wearing that gives off a scent kitty doesnt like. think about that.

and there are lots of no kill shelters. remember some people like older cats cause they are already broken in and not all crazy like kittens are.

12. ActionBuddy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Make the calls, Avalon, before it's too late. You'll live with the regret if you don't do it. Someone will want to care for your cat.

Onan

13. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Be a dear and fuck off, would you?

Avalon, you've been given some good advice about no kill shelters. It really does sound like the best option.

14. B_Just Joe

B_Just Joe New Member

Seriously ManiacalMadMan. Why dont you do us all a favor and go and play in traffic.

15. ManiacalMadMan

Gold Member

Read the majority of his self pity posts including how no body likes him

Getting a cat is a comittment and clearly AvalonLoveLove does not have what it takes. He'd rather grab the fast easy solution of putting the cat in a shelter and not even look around and ask to see if any body would take the cat in. Don't like it? Too fucking bad bitch.
    Again Razor, take a look at what he wrote He says he takes in his friends animals but they all die of vehicular slaughter or poisoning Some thing about that seems not only wrong but frightening.

I would but I am not a friend of AvalonLove Nice to see you waited until after Gillette made her post to become rude and abrasive Shows us you are a ball-less twerp who still hides behind mommy's skirts.

16. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I'm sorry to hear that your father could die from a cat bite, but I feel even worse for the cat. Your family brought him in an adopted into your home, and now because he is getting older and becoming a little bit mischievous enough you have to give him away? I think this is the ultimate betrayal because that cat no longer has an option. I hope for his sake that he gets adopted and not euthanized. I'm also sorry that you have to go through the trauma of losing another animal, sometimes parents don't understand the attachments we have to them. It is totally up to you whether or not you want to go to the shelter with him. He will most likely not be put down for a while, I would try to find a no kill shelter. Good luck once again.

Draft saved Draft deleted