Caution: Gay Movies Lead to Sadness!

pinkpineapples

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Here it is after 2:00 in the morning and I was suppose to goto bed an hour ago lol. Just finished watching "Make The Yuletide Gay". Adorable movie, funny, cute, cute boy, the usual I suppose. Just seems every time I watch one of these movies it gets me SO down. I want what they have more than I can express. I hate that these movies make it seem so easy to meet and fall in love with someone, or maybe it is and I'm just too blah to realize it lol. *shrug*

Then again, it seems incredibly difficult to actually locate someone looking for "love". Hell, the craigslist ads for Romance are .0000001% the size of the anonymous hookup list. (No, I don't expect to find it there, but I peek from time to time!) Honestly I'm not really proactive about it, I guess.

I feel weird about posting my whole life online, via dating sites or facebook. I put a few things on here, but nothing that would interest a person in a relationship...I don't know, but I'm not gonna be bar bum either. Really just a place to have sex or find someone for it. Craigslist in Person lol. I'll open a bar and call it that. Would just be nice to find someone who wants to care and be cared about. Not who can "lick your sweaty balls! make me swallow your load and be your bitch"; taken directly from a post on CL...

Eh, anyway...I'm just ranting. If I try to goto sleep without getting it off my mind, it will eat me away. Maybe I care too much about it? Isn't it a basic human need though? To Be Loved? Or is it just some stupid underlying mechanic to progress the human race (not that I'm in the biz of procreating lol) Meh.

Honestly, I would much rather talk to a therapist about my many issues, as I'm sure my lack of proactiveness is more about rejection and putting myself out there than just dating websites and facebook, the fact I've never said the words "I'm Gay" to anyone. People know, but I've never actually said it. (i fear my might cry, idk why lol) Haven't told my parents, even though I know they know. And my list goes on, but...therapy is $ and you can choose to read or not. After all, you aren't getting paid for it ;)

Well, for those that have a drink (wish I did), here's to wishing life were like a gay themed movie [for we, apparently, few who wish for it]

End Rant. Good Night.
Or Morning...Whichever

Thanks for letting me vent (if you made it to this point lol)

buddy629

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I also feel that gay movies are unrealistic. However, who's fault is that? We all know movies are unrealistic. Hollywood is the dream maker. They provide us with an ideal, to entertain us, make us feel something, and enjoy the experience of the film. They do not provide us with examples of how to live our lives, or how our lives should be. Sure, it would be nice to live as one of our favorite gay films. But that's just not how it is. And may never be.
Sounds like you need to get out in the world. Join a gay club. Like a book club, or chorus, or basketball league, or whatever your interests are. In most major cities, there are gay organizations. A means to socialize with other gay guys, with similar interests and goals, to make friends, get yourself out there. When that happens, you may find someone interesting enough to date, kiss :) Maybe have a romance.
Forget gay bars and craigslist. They are misery, unless you are looking to fuck. Then, you're in the right place. Another idea, if you want to date, take some pics of yourself, nice ones, have a friend do it. Sign up for an online site, okcupid, match.com, whatever.
Put yourself out there. There is a life out there waiting for you. But it won't come to you. You have to go out and make it happen for yourself.
As humans, unconsciously we strive to live by example. Straight people are surrounded by a variety of examples of how to live their lives. We are gay people in a straight world. We have few examples. What examples we do have are stereotypes, and are a very narrow example of the rich, beautiful, fashionable, and witty gay male. Not all of us fit into those shapes. We are all unique and special in our own regard. It's important to remember that. Release yourself from the obligation to live as a stereotype. Live as yourself. Be the best version of YOU that you can be. You will then feel liberated from the obligation to be something you aren't. You will then be able to find the life that is waiting for you out there. There is romance and love in the gay world. You just have to look for it. Put yourself out there and look for it :)

I know I rambled. But, I only wanted to reach out and give you some insight into how I see it :)

Last edited:

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
I have seen many movies with gay subject matter that I felt to be decent films. At the same time I have seen some that were absolute garbage.

Under Comedy:
The Ritz which came from a successful stage play is a riot.

Under Drama:
It's My Party did portray a time in the evolution of the gay community and the HIV epidemic that was pretty hard to take.

Under Learning:
The Celluloid Closet is an excellent film and from it you will learn a great deal about how you have been taught to think by heterosexual people about yourself.

Total Fluff and Crap:
Jeffrey, Cruising, Brokeback Mountain, etc.

Not all gay films are bad, and not all romance films or heterosexual films dealing with similar subjects are good. I just take it on a one by one basis if I am motivated to see them

pinkpineapples

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I also feel that gay movies are unrealistic. However, who's fault is that? We all know movies are unrealistic. Hollywood is the dream maker. They provide us with an ideal, to entertain us, make us feel something, and enjoy the experience of the film. They do not provide us with examples of how to live our lives, or how our lives should be. Sure, it would be nice to live as one of our favorite gay films. But that's just not how it is. And may never be.
Sounds like you need to get out in the world. Join a gay club. Like a book club, or chorus, or basketball league, or whatever your interests are. In most major cities, there are gay organizations. A means to socialize with other gay guys, with similar interests and goals, to make friends, get yourself out there. When that happens, you may find someone interesting enough to date, kiss :) Maybe have a romance.
Forget gay bars and craigslist. They are misery, unless you are looking to fuck. Then, you're in the right place. Another idea, if you want to date, take some pics of yourself, nice ones, have a friend do it. Sign up for an online site, okcupid, match.com, whatever.
Put yourself out there. There is a life out there waiting for you. But it won't come to you. You have to go out and make it happen for yourself.
As humans, unconsciously we strive to live by example. Straight people are surrounded by a variety of examples of how to live their lives. We are gay people in a straight world. We have few examples. What examples we do have are stereotypes, and are a very narrow example of the rich, beautiful, fashionable, and witty gay male. Not all of us fit into those shapes. We are all unique and special in our own regard. It's important to remember that. Release yourself from the obligation to live as a stereotype. Live as yourself. Be the best version of YOU that you can be. You will then feel liberated from the obligation to be something you aren't. You will then be able to find the life that is waiting for you out there. There is romance and love in the gay world. You just have to look for it. Put yourself out there and look for it :)

I know I rambled. But, I only wanted to reach out and give you some insight into how I see it :)

Yeah, it's good advice and I honestly know it already... just going out and doing it is another thing. I want it, but i'm afraid to go for it? I dunno. I'm a rather screwed up individual. It's honestly quite surprising at this point in my life i'm not hopped up on something. I'll just leave it alone for now. I'm in no position to have a healthy, functional relationship. Hell, I live w/ my grandparents and it would be a cold day in hell before I could ever bring someone to my home so. Why bother anyway.

In a bad mood today, so just ignore me. I'm going to bed and will be done w/ it. Good Night. <3

pinkpineapples

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yeah, a lot of the gay movies are actually really really good. Most of the ones I've seen anyway. They just always make me feel down after watching them. Just envy what they have in the movie, but...its not real, just fantasy and I just need to remember that.

Reactions: tobysmells

chrisj428

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yeah, a lot of the gay movies are actually really really good. Most of the ones I've seen anyway. They just always make me feel down after watching them. Just envy what they have in the movie, but...its not real, just fantasy and I just need to remember that.

I know what you mean. I always seem to finish them feeling somewhat maudlin and an empty sense of longing -- for what, I don't know. But, I feel like I missed an important plot point somewhere in life and am left with no choice but to ride the rest of it out as a spectator.

Reactions: tobysmells

Not seen many, but one I thought was ok was 'Beautiful Thing' about 2 dudes coming out on a tough London council estate.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
'Beautiful Thing' is a very sweet movie. To the OP, depending on where you live there may be low cost gay affirmative counseling services. Even in the rather small city in which i live there is a GLBT community services center that offers support groups free of charge. Having someone in your corner might be really helpful.

pinkpineapples

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I know what you mean. I always seem to finish them feeling somewhat maudlin and an empty sense of longing -- for what, I don't know. But, I feel like I missed an important plot point somewhere in life and am left with no choice but to ride the rest of it out as a spectator.

Perfect description. Exactly how it makes me feel lol. It's quite annoying!! lol

Not seen many, but one I thought was ok was 'Beautiful Thing' about 2 dudes coming out on a tough London council estate.

Don't think I've seen that one.. Might have to check it out. I've def seen my fair share.

'Beautiful Thing' is a very sweet movie. To the OP, depending on where you live there may be low cost gay affirmative counseling services. Even in the rather small city in which i live there is a GLBT community services center that offers support groups free of charge. Having someone in your corner might be really helpful.

Yeah it's possible, there might be something. Getting up the courage to go spill my heart to someone in person could be an issue though lol. The anonymity of the internet is a big help in that aspect lol.

I know how you feel OP, they all make it seem so easy.

Mhmm. Quite misleading. Makes me :(

distance

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Watch "Adam and Steve" (frequently on cable); very funny, a little dopey, GREAT performances from Parker Posey and Chris Kattan, and it gives you hope than even after decades of debauchery, maybe one can find love...

Sharpone

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I refuse to watch gay films that are AIDS themed...enough sadness in life!! I loved Beautiful Thing, Big Eden, Breakfast with Scot, and all over the guy wasn't too bad either. In and Out was pretty good as well.