Celebrities and Politics

Redsquall

Just Browsing
Media
I just finished having an extremely heated conversation with someone on this subject.

Although I LOVE celebrities, when someone gets a lot of camera time to spout their political opinions, it rubs me the wrong.

For example, Matt Damon's comments on Sarah Palin.

I would say this regardless of which candidate they supported. I don't think its appropriate. People say its good for democracy, but when someone like Damon has his own soap box, it's a little upsetting because as an actor, he does have influence over others.

Any thoughts?

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
How is the influence of an actor grabbing a microphone more "upsetting" than the influence of, say, Bob Perry and Boone Pickens ponying up $6.5 million dollars to their 527 to get false political attacks on television?

How is it more "upsetting" than the free coverage Jerome Corsi gets to promote his poorly-fact-checked smear book?

What's upsetting to me is the lack of critical thinking among our electorate -- that too many people blindly accept what they hear on television without investigating it for themselves. If we were a nation of critical thinkers, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Redsquall

Just Browsing
Media
How is the influence of an actor grabbing a microphone more "upsetting" than the influence of, say, Bob Perry and Boone Pickens ponying up $6.5 million dollars to their 527 to get false political attacks on television?

How is it more "upsetting" than the free coverage Jerome Corsi gets to promote his poorly-fact-checked smear book?

What's upsetting to me is the lack of critical thinking among our electorate -- that too many people blindly accept what they hear on television without investigating it for themselves. If we were a nation of critical thinkers, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
You definitely have a point there.

I feel sorry for the average voter. They're bombarded with so much stuff and forced to sort through it.

omy god who cares about politics and celbrities! lol!

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I just finished having an extremely heated conversation with someone on this subject.

Although I LOVE celebrities, when someone gets a lot of camera time to spout their political opinions, it rubs me the wrong.

I would say this regardless of which candidate they supported. I don't think its appropriate. People say its good for democracy, but when someone like Damon has his own soap box, it's a little upsetting because as an actor, he does have influence over others.

Any thoughts?
It doesn't bother me in the least the celebs have as much a right to express their views as anybody else.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
it's a little upsetting because as an actor, he does have influence over others.

You mean how years of portraying the tough, good guy probably influenced Californians to vote for Ahnuld?

You can't whine about celebrities speaking on politics if they're allowed to run for office.

Get a grip.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm with you on that. They do have a right to an opinion, unfortunately only VERY VERY FEW do it with class and dignity. They've usually got a self-righteousness in tow, vs. a respectful attitude to the other side. It's an angry and the platitude..... many are out of touch w/ society to begin with. Those that are in touch, I notice don't say much.

I learned long ago, I like my musicians for their songs not their politics, and although Mike Huckabee can play a monster bass, and Clinton can blow a hootin' sax, I ain't buying any CDs they put out.

Any thoughts?

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Seeing George Clooney on the news a few weeks ago made me laugh. Ego tripping at it's best.
Why is he getting involved in Southern Sudans Independance, really no need for it at all, it's actually a joke him trying to be all self righteous.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This is a ridiculous thread.
Celebrities get a right to vote just like everyone else. They also get a chance to speak their mind just like everyone else as well. The only difference is that they have a bigger stage to say something because millions of people follow them, whereas the rest of us are lucky if one person listens to us. Ultimately, when a celebrity says something you agree with you consider him or her to be an intellectual. But as soon as they say something you don't like, the same people complain about "celebrity" and want them to shut up. Can't have it both ways.

Blame the individual, not the "celebrity", for saying something you don't like. Because bottom line... we'd ALL want to have the power of celebrity one day.

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
bottom line... we'd ALL want to have the power of celebrity one day.

You sir are wrong! no way in hell would I want to have the 'power' or be a 'celebrity' ever. Couldn't think of anything worse tbh.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Seeing George Clooney on the news a few weeks ago made me laugh. Ego tripping at it's best.
Why is he getting involved in Southern Sudans Independance, really no need for it at all, it's actually a joke him trying to be all self righteous.

Yeah, there have been way too many people volunteering their time trying to address the plight of the millions of Africans suffering from poverty, persecution, neglect, starvation, exploitation, et. al. As you say, there's "really no need for it" anymore. Especially from a celebrity, of all people! I'm sure you've done your part in helping these people. And having committed yourself to lending a hand to your brothers and sisters here on planet earth, you've definitely earned the right and honed the ability to determine, based on observing a 30 second sound bite on the news, when a "celebrity" is "fake helping" for his own ego and career boost, and when one is genuinely and selflessly offering their time, energy and resources to make a difference in the world.

Well done.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You sir are wrong! no way in hell would I want to have the 'power' or be a 'celebrity' ever. Couldn't think of anything worse tbh.

Personally, I would love to have the ability to influence people to do something to better oneself, their family & friends or the community they live in. Whether it be one or a million people, that's what I perceive as the "power of celebrity".

However, I'm not remotely prepared or interested to deal with the public scrutiny or responsibility to have such a power on a massive level.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Yeah, there have been way too many people volunteering their time trying to address the plight of the millions of Africans suffering from poverty, persecution, neglect, starvation, exploitation, et. al. As you say, there's "really no need for it" anymore. Especially from a celebrity, of all people! I'm sure you've done your part in helping these people. And having committed yourself to lending a hand to your brothers and sisters here on planet earth, you've definitely earned the right and honed the ability to determine, based on observing a 30 second sound bite on the news, when a "celebrity" is "fake helping" for his own ego and career boost, and when one is genuinely and selflessly offering their time, energy and resources to make a difference in the world.

Well done.
Well done. :grinning-smiley-003

Footnote:
Yeah, there have been way too many people volunteering their time trying to address the plight of the millions of Africans suffering from poverty, persecution, neglect, starvation, exploitation, et. al.
Et al should also include slavery and genocide.

MalakingTiti

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When one becomes a celebrity he doesn't cease to be a living breathing thinking individual. Just like the rest of us and have constitutional right to say whatever they wish. Matt Damon has a right to dislike that moron Sarah Palin if he wants.

I say live and let live. There are plenty of people who disagree with me too, but I don't give to much of a fuck. As I said, this is America. Opinions go with the territory.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

cruztbone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Chuck NOrris is a raving moron who worship mike Huckabee. Both are fake christians with no real sense of who Jesus was. But both have the right to expound on their beliefs. so does Matt damon. the first amendment is alive and well; it does not matter what your profession or station in life is. the first amendment gives us the right to express our political views. and we are a great nation for it. DONT EVER FORGET THAT!!!