Celebrity deaths

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Picking up this thread because it's an interesting topic but I've no idea why OP restricted it to ask a woman: https://www.lpsg.com/threads/celebrity-death-by-suicide-how-does-it-affect-you.477743/#post-6604298'

Anyways, I don't know that deaths by suicide affect me more than others, but I do miss some celebrities who've passed away. Stranger Things Season 2 has a new trailer out (which is awesome, btw), but it's set to the music of "Thriller" which I haven't heard in ages. That left me with some wistful pangs over both Michael Jackson & Vincent Price. They were both such talented artists. Music comes and goes, so at least with MJ's passing there's other musicians who rise to the occasion, but man... Vincent Price? There's still a hole there with no one to fill it.

As suicides go, I'll sometimes wish I had an opportunity to tell some of them how much I appreciated their work. John Candy didn't commit suicide, but I recall this piece from Ebert's review of Plane's trains & automobiles: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-planes-trains-and-automobiles-1987

"One night a few years after "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" was released, I came upon John Candy (1950-1994) sitting all by himself in a hotel bar in New York, smoking and drinking, and we talked for a while. We were going to be on the same TV show the next day. He was depressed. People loved him, but he didn't seem to know that, or it wasn't enough. He was a sweet guy and nobody had a word to say against him, but he was down on himself. All he wanted to do was make people laugh, but sometimes he tried too hard, and he hated himself for doing that in some of his movies. I thought of Del. There is so much truth in the role that it transforms the whole movie. Hughes knew it, and captured it again in "Only the Lonely" (1991). And Steve Martin knew it, and played straight to it."

And it strikes me as sad that someone who, as a profession, really brought a lot of joy to so many people was himself sad and depressed. Wish I could've given him a hug :(

Reactions: hunghorse30

I wished I could have given Robin Williams a hug. He brought so much laughter to so many people's lives. His death, suicide even, is the one that pulled the most response from me. Still distant and overall not much impact on me/my life, but it did sadden me.

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I have nothing but empathy for the suicidal and those who succeed at it.

I can't imagine what hell they are in and how long they've been in it to push them to the brink.

Given the effectiveness of therapy and antidepressants when properly dosed and administered we aught to be able to help many more people than we do. The lack of a national health is a major contributor to un- and under-treated mental illness because it's one the last reasons people will pay to go see a physician as is the stigma of the label.

I was affected by David Bowie's death because his music means a lot to me

palakaorion

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've been low. Really low, like "Whale Shit At The Bottom Of The Ocean" low. I know how that feels, and can understand and empathize with those who feel the only way out of that place is the Final Exit.

When I learn that someone has walked through that door on their own volition, I'm sad that they felt so awful, especially entertainers whose performances brought joy and meaning to others but could find none for themselves.

When a person reaches a mature age where they have life experience, or health issues which would give cause to take their own life is open for debate.

Where a young person, a teenager, who find themselves in a place where they feel they have no future to look forward to for whatever reason as a cause for them to take their own life is a tragedy.

I think there are many contributing reasons for why....

Last edited by a moderator:

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I confess than when I heard of Robin William's death by hanging my first thought was autoerotic asphyxiation. I knew he had struggled with substance abuse but I had no idea he was so unhappy.