Celtic Cougars?

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was just reading the Wikipedia citation for Celts( found on the Kilt Thread) ... I found this very interesting item....Little is known of family structure, but Athenaeus in his Deipnosophists, 13.603, claims that "the Celts, in spite of the fact that their women are very beautiful, prefer boys as sexual partners. There are some of them who will regularly go to bed – on those animal skins of theirs – with a pair of lovers", implying a woman and a boy.

What do you think?

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Interesting Roman disinformation still being diseminated. Although Greek by birth Athenaeus was a Roman apologist and propagandist. The Celts were s serious political amd military threat to the world power of the time. Rome was misogenous and homophobic. Celtic women were of high social status within their society and had legal rights equal to men, Roman women were subjugated and mere chattels legally. Celts had an open but ethical view of sexuality. Marriages were social arrangements. Unfaithfulness with the opposite or same sex was grounds for divorce so the legal evidence is that Celtic men and women enjoyed both heterosexual and homsexual relationships. The early (Celtic) Christians accommodated this, however when the the official Latin Roman church imposed itself upon the Celts its priests and functionaries were forever listening at bedroom doors and fleecing all levels of Celtic society. This perhaps is an explanation for the sexual duplicity of Irish human relations.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
Interesting Roman disinformation still being diseminated. Although Greek by birth Athenaeus was a Roman apologist and propagandist. The Celts were s serious political amd military threat to the world power of the time. Rome was misogenous and homophobic. Celtic women were of high social status within their society and had legal rights equal to men, Roman women were subjugated and mere chattels legally. Celts had an open but ethical view of sexuality. Marriages were social arrangements. Unfaithfulness with the opposite or same sex was grounds for divorce so the legal evidence is that Celtic men and women enjoyed both heterosexual and homsexual relationships. The early (Celtic) Christians accommodated this, however when the the official Latin Roman church imposed itself upon the Celts its priests and functionaries were forever listening at bedroom doors and fleecing all levels of Celtic society. This perhaps is an explanation for the sexual duplicity of Irish human relations.

Sarg, I have NO idea what you just said.:tongue:

D

deleted26151

Me neither but I like it!!

PS Most irish people are not genetically celtic so no skin of my nose where they put their willies...;)

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I follow your line of thought, Sergeant_T, perhaps, as I have read much on the Celts... Partly to find evidence to whether same-sex relationships were approved of and possibly honored like marriages, as with hundreds of North American tribes, until European expansionism and the Missionaries ruined their cultures.

The only unclear part of your post then, for me, is this:

"Marriages were social arrangements. Unfaithfulness with the opposite or same sex was grounds for divorce so the legal evidence is that Celtic men and women enjoyed both heterosexual and homosexual relationships."

Would a partner in a same-sex couple have grounds for "divorce" if one of the partners was dallying with another person of either sex? Do you know of any sources on that subject?

I am not interested in the subject to find historical ammo for the cause of modern day legalized same-sex marriages. I couldn't care less and think that Government has no place what so ever in individuals' chioces of sexual partners and committments (or lack there of). I find pre-Judeo-Christian societies to be facinating in their relational diversity. Especially, evidence of ethical, bisexual polyamory and institutional group sexual rites.

(By the way, you are missed in the chat room... PM me, maybe I can help you get back in there!)

Thanks for bringing this up, naughty, but, I am curious why you titled the thread Celtic Cougars?

:wink: _Onan