Censorship in Public Schools

Discussion in 'Politics' started by midlifebear, Jan 29, 2010.

1. midlifebear

Gold Member

In the "I hate to say I said so" department, it appears that good old 'Mericuhn christians are pushing the envelope of good taste once again. First Pat says Haiti is in cahoots with his golf partner, Satan, and now copies of The Diary of Anne Frank are banned from the shelves (and book bags) of Culpeper County, Virginia public schools. Check out the Washington Post exclusive: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...01/28/AR2010012804001.html?hpid=sec-education

Maybe they did this to celebrate the recent death of Pierre Salinger?

Soon, the Holocaust and Nazis will no longer exist in 'Mericuhn hysteria books just so good christian children will be able to sleep better at night.

As for the rest of us non christians, well, isn't it obvious? We're all going to Hell.

Remember to drive safe. God's speed is 35 miles per hour. :smile::smile::smile:

2. Flashy

Gold Member

well, let's not get hysterical just yet MLB...

they are still going to teach the original version (which is what even good little jews like me read when we were young)

frankly, having never read the added pieces which detailed her burgeoning sexuality, i am not all that bothered by the decision to revert back to the previous copies...i think there are bigger battles to fight with the book-nurning crowd than this one...if we are not fighting against the ignorance of some knucklehead who wanted it banned on sexual grounds, there is always the complaint registered by the person in Alabama in 1983 who said the book should be banned because "It was a real downer"...obviously, he was expecting a terror filled tale about hiding from stormtroopers hell bent on incinerating a poor girl and her family to have a bit more of a positive, Curious George type of humor and optimism to it.

just saying...you have to choose your battles wisely. :smile:

3. midlifebear

Gold Member

Flashy, forgive my need to be hysterical. It felt so good. However, you'll note that only one, count it, one "family" complained to the school district which then decided to pull it from the curriculum without even following its own proper channels for investigating loose canon charges.

As I wrote to another, wiser, LPSG-er, I found this particular ban ironic and too close to the recent death of Pierre Salinger. I really didn't care for Catcher in the Rye when it was assigned reading in my little mormon 9th grade English class. But as of January, 2010, it has been and remains banned from my old high school (and school district) since 1975. They've even removed it (Catcher in the Rye) from the local city libraries.

As for the "vanilla" version of Anne Frank, I vividly remember my mormon junior high school English teacher telling the class that she had her doubts if the book was real. She didn't believe an adolescent girl could write such a compelling diary. But then again, that teacher was the victim of the Ewetaw (and BYU) education system.

As always, the cost of freedom is constant vigilance. That's why god invented the TV remote control. :smile:

4. midlifebear

Gold Member

Hmmm . . . it's been half a day and no one has caught on that I wrote "Pierre" Salinger instead of J.D. Salinger.

I thought so. :smile:

5. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    I saw it but didn't comment. I thought it was an nickname for him for those 'in the know' and didn't want to be caught out.:redface:

6. BF2K

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    what about refusing to have courses about the US constitution?

7. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    And where exactly in the USA is that happening????

8. Onslow

Gold Member

I hadn't bothered looking at this thread since the title was somewhat on the useless side. I saw the Salinger error and would have mentioned it had not you already dragged the thread back up to note the readership failure. From past experience on this site, I've found pointing out these errors, unless one is on the select and elite list, garners responses of 'troll' 'stupid jerk' 'lush' 'moron' 'idiot' 'failed to see his great humor' etc. etc. In other words, why bother? It just isn't worth it.

Regarding the thread title, it didn't grab my interests since there's been censorship of reading materials in the public schools for decades. This is just another book added to an ever growing list {and has probably been on many lists already}.

Books banned at various times include {and comments on a few}:::

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
    Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden
    As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner~~all Faulkner is clearly racist according to some.
    Blubber by Judy Blume
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley~~ too many drugs.
    Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
    Canterbury Tales by Chaucer
    Carrie by Stephen King~~ might offer children bad ideas about attending the prom.
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
    Christine by Stephen King~~ a possessed car? Mustn't let that out.
    Curses, Hexes, and Spells by Daniel Cohen
    Daddy's Roommate by Michael Willhoite
    Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Peck
    Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller~~the suicide by car at the end must be a no-no.
    Decameron by Boccaccio
    East of Eden by John Steinbeck
    Fallen Angels by Walter Myers
    Fanny Hill (Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure) by John Cleland ~~the title speaks for itself.
    Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes
    Forever by Judy Blume
    Grendel by John Champlin Gardner
    Halloween ABC by Eve Merriam
    Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling
    Heather Has Two Mommies by Leslea Newman ~~lesbianism must be viewed as a myth therefore no books about it.
    How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell
    Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
    I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
    Impressions edited by Jack Booth
    In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak
    It's Okay if You Don't Love Me by Norma Klein
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
    Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence
    Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
    Little Red Riding Hood by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding
    Love is One of the Choices by Norma Klein
    Lysistrata by Aristophanes
    More Scary Stories in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
    My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier
    My House by Nikki Giovanni
    My Friend Flicka by Mary O'Hara
    Night Chills by Dean Koontz
    Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
    On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer
    One Day in The Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn
    One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    Ordinary People by Judith Guest
    Our Bodies, Ourselves by Boston Women's Health Collective
    Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy
    Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl
    Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones by Alvin Schwartz
    Scary Stories in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
    Separate Peace by John Knowles
    Silas Marner by George Eliot
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
    Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
    The Bastard by John Jakes
    The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
    The Color Purple by Alice Walker
    The Devil's Alternative by Frederick Forsyth
    The Figure in the Shadows by John Bellairs
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
    The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
    The Headless Cupid by Zilpha Snyder
    The Learning Tree by Gordon Parks
    The Living Bible by William C. Bower
    The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare
    The New Teenage Body Book by Kathy McCoy and Charles Wibbelsman
    The Pigman by Paul Zindel
    The Seduction of Peter S. by Lawrence Sanders
    The Shining by Stephen King
    The Witches by Roald Dahl
    The Witches of Worm by Zilpha Snyder
    Then Again, Maybe I Won't by Judy Blume
    To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
    Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare
    Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary by the Merriam-Webster Editorial Staff~~Lord knows what filthy words are in that book.
    Witches, Pumpkins, and Grinning Ghosts: The Story of the Halloween Symbols by Edna Barth ~~
    mustn't have possible Paganism in ouur schools.

9. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^ A list like that should be attributed. What is the source?

10. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Isn't that covered in most History courses anyhow? I know the public schools I attended in Massachusetts made frequent mention and reference to it when necessary. Or are you wondering why public schools currently don't dissect it word per word and interpret it as if it was holy doctrine?

11. fastaztic10

fastaztic10 Member

Albums:
    I just read in the news that certain schools are banning the dictionary in 4th and 5th grades because it contains the definition of oral sex. I guess if the students are trying to find the definition of one of the other, I don't know.. 80,000+ words, they're shit out of luck. I think maybe someone is a bit uptight.

Dictionary sex too graphic for Californian schools

12. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Wow... the next generation of kids are going to be dumb as rocks at this point!!

13. Onslow

Gold Member

Do a google search of banned books united states public schools. One of the early entries is this one {from which the list was pilfered}:: Banned Books

14. midlifebear

Gold Member

Of course, Onslow is quite correct. However, I hadn't meant to play troll when I started the Banned Anne Frank thread. I'm probably just a bit too sensitive to book banning, believing that bad books censor themselves by losing their reading pubic (the faux, semi-ghost written autobiography of Sara Palin for example).

One of my first business ventures that didn't involve real estate was my favorite toy: a book store. And yes, we had an official book store cat, even though I'm deadly allergic to cats. However, the cat and I had brokered a deal He had his rooms in the book store and I had mine.

Every year my staff would gleefully arrange the window display for Banned Book Week and take special pride whipping up an amazingly informative as well as deliriously funny newsletter. Remember newsletters? And also every year we would attract the ire of "christian" parents offended at our celebration of how stupid we felt censorship is. And how did we know they were "christian", because they wrote, came in and complained, wrote to the local papers and identified themselves as purveyors of good "christian" values. Rocks would be thrown. Windows would be broken. And this was in San Francisco! A very knowing employee suggested that maybe if we removed the various versions of the Holy Bible, Koran, Book of Mormon -- all banned books at one time or another -- from our joyous display we might not have to replace so much glass. She was partially correct. But we never censored our censored books from our "censored" display.

By the time the Judy Blume books had become fodder for the National Parents Teachers Association was about the time I completely lost it. So, I sold the store to the staff (they got a real good deal) and hung around for about a year to make sure they were successful. And they were until . . . . well, the sudden rise of the big chain book stores were too much competition. Yet another form of censorship? Fortunately there isn't a Barnes and Noble, Borders, or other giant chain in Barcelona or Buenos Aires. Besides, those chains carry very few novels, poetry, natural science, business, and history books in foreign languages.

Sure, I'll admit to being an asshole. But at least I'm an asshole with a purpose. :smile:

15. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Have you been on Myspace or Facebook lately? Ever been on Twitter at all? Hell, have you seen some of the crap posted right here by the barely-legal set?

16. houtx48

Gold Member

Sure, I'll admit to being an asshole. But at least I'm an asshole with a purpose......................bless you my child.

17. midlifebear

Gold Member

HazelGod: Point of fact, I'm too frightened to take a look. Seriously.

Please excuse me while I get back to memorizing Fahrenheit 451.

18. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

And unfortunately, it's largely the liberal community that seems to be slipping in the education dept. Young liberals have been trained to expect handouts and benefit from public funding, and for the most part, any ambition or goal-seeking has been stripped from them at an early age.

Moreover, the liberal teaching community instills the values of 'entitlements' and 'you deserve this' which is robbing this country of kids that can achieve and make a difference.

It is truly a shame, and it is getting worse by the day.

19. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    What colour of Kool-Aid have you been drinking today Star?

The young people attending post secondary schools that I know, the two dozen or so that I can count as family members or close friends, have not had any big handouts. They go to school either by working and getting help from their parents, or taking out loans to pay for it. Or a combination of the above. My own kid is the only one I know that didn't need to work, although she did. We started a education trust for her when she was 4 months old, and that pretty much paid for everything 17 years later.

I'd like to see you back up what you said above-
    with some facts. Or at least some first person anecdotes. Because from where I stand it's just boilerplate.

When I sit and talk with my young relatives or their friends, I am bloody amazed at how well informed they are. They also work their butts off. One of my nephews just got his doctorate in veterinary medicine. Believe me, no one gets handed that on a silver platter. He worked his ass off and has 200 grand in debts.

20. hud01

Gold Member

Two words, ignorant asshole. It is the "liberal elite" that pushes the books and the knowledge that is missing from the curriculum. The conservative element wants to limit what children can see and read.

Young liberal have been trained to expect handouts. Damn, you have got to get out of your cave more often. They are taught to help others and that knowledge is not something to be scared of.

Draft saved Draft deleted