Censorship is here folks - watch your words.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
A kinder, gentler LPSG? Is that what everyone and the Mods and Admins want?

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
This holds true for when you're talking, but whenever you are writing something which is going to be around on the internet forever, you'd better take some time to consider what it is you want to say before you click the submit button.

If you're in a private chat with somebody, and say something in anger, which you later regret, you can apologize to that person, but this doesn't really work on message sites like this.

This is the reason why I'd prefer if we could refrain from posting things which can be interpreted to be disrespectful of others.
You would prefer it, but what are you going to do about it? Are you seriously going to go around editing out disrespectful comments on a big cock site?? What will you're standards be? You're a idiot. You're an fucking idiot. Do both get cut? Or just the 'you're a fucking idiot'?

jumbo747jet

Superior Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I'm sorry, but I fail to understand why a adult site about the penis can't demand that it's members are respectful towards eachother in their posts.

Are you suggesting that if a site has a adult theme, anything goes, regardless ?

I don't understand how it can be so difficult to act respectfully. It makes me wonder how those who find it so difficult manage to hold down a job, unless it's completely cut off from interaction with other people.

Why do so many of you feel the need to call others stuff ? It doesn't seem healthy to me.

Mem is asking if I'm striving for a kinder and gentler LPSG and the question in itself surprises me.
For me it's only natural that a support group is welcoming, supportive, friendly and gentle.
Disagreeing with somebody is fine and natural, but I fail to see how telling somebody he/she is a fucking idiot can be considered supportive.

It doesn't mean we have to love everybody, but we do need to be able to get along.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
ManlyBanisters, you're a silly, vacuous poster - I can't stand your posts, they make me want to gnaw my own eyes out they are so banal and insipid. You whine and pontificate but never say anything - what a watse of Rob_E's server space.
ManlyBanisters, you're a stupid fucking cunt.
Which is more insulting?

Which, looking at j747j's outline in this thread, gets mod edited and which doesn't?

I rest my motherfucking case.

jumbo747jet

Superior Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Quoted by ManlyBanister;

"ManlyBanisters, you're a silly, vacuous poster - I can't stand your posts, they make me want to gnaw my own eyes out they are so banal and insipid. You whine and pontificate but never say anything - what a watse of Rob_E's server space.
Quote:
ManlyBanisters, you're a stupid fucking cunt.
Which is more insulting?

Which, looking at j747j's outline in this thread, gets mod edited and which doesn't?

I rest my motherfucking case."

Seeing as you're asking for my opinion, I will say that example 1 sounds right to me, while example 2 is name calling intended to insult

Last edited:

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This holds true for when you're talking, but whenever you are writing something which is going to be around on the internet forever, you'd better take some time to consider what it is you want to say before you click the submit button.

If you're in a private chat with somebody, and say something in anger, which you later regret, you can apologize to that person, but this doesn't really work on message sites like this.

This is the reason why I'd prefer if we could refrain from posting things which can be interpreted to be disrespectful of others.

Your action was extremely disrespectful. Some of the moderation team have extremely poor judgement as to when or how or whether to intervene.

Whatever a member has had to say cannot have been as offensive as your taking it upon yourself to edit and censor it. You owe an apology.

Your and other offensive and inappropriate moderator actions, such as unjustified bannings, are making it very unlikely that I will make another financial contribution to this site.

jumbo747jet

Superior Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Your action was extremely disrespectful. Some of the moderation team have extremely poor judgement as to when or how or whether to intervene.

Whatever a member has had to say cannot have been as offensive as your taking it upon yourself to edit and censor it. You owe an apology.

Your and other offensive and inappropriate moderator actions, such as unjustified bannings, are making it very unlikely that I will make another financial contribution to this site.

Like I explained in a earlier post, what I edited out was "go fuck yourself". It didn't change the meaning of the post in any way.
I edited out what I considered to be harrassment against another member, which according to LPSG isn't allowed.

I'm surprised you'd rather pay to join a site where people insult eachother instead of support eachother.

D

deleted3782

Hmm, even I think this is making the mods job much harder than it has to be. Proofing every post is going to be a massive job, not to mention interpreting the gray areas. This is not sustainable from a work load vantage nor a policy point of view.

We also can't edit respect into people's messages. I agree with manly above, that sometimes specific and well-articulated insults can hit home harder than generic name calling. I think we should be careful not to encourage pointed and detailed ad hominem attacks.

If a poster is particularly insulting, and if all the terms agreed on include no insulting, then I think its best to punish all those who insult. We are all over 18, we all understand the rules, and if we break the rules, then we deal with the consequences.

I don't think this needs to be the case. Sometimes out-of-line posters can be policed by the membership...and I think thats ok. We all need to have a thicker skin in dealing with each other...and we need not discuss things with kid gloves on. This site has functioned well for the three years that I have been involved? Why the extra babysitting now?

Is this really where we want to go on this site? Seems a well-intentioned, but a slippery :censored: slope.

At least thats my :censored: opinion, :censored:!!!!!! :wink: (emoticon of immunity)

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Seeing as you're asking for my opinion, I will say that example 1 sounds right to me, while example 2 is name calling intended to insult

Example 1 sounds right? You are joking, right... or do you just mean you think I'm a vapid poster? Well I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I would say the first example I gave is more insulting as it makes a point and is a far more intentional insult - the way it is put is intended to hurt the person's feelings. But it seems you are cool with that kind of insult.

The second example is just a couple of swear words - far less personally insulting that the first.

So - it appears I can make up a (potentially untrue) string of insults calculated to personally offend my target, as long as I don't swear. Gotcha - I'll do that in future.

D

deleted3782

The second example is just a couple of swear words - far less personally insulting that the first.

Not to mention, sometimes a twat is just a twat. Ya gotta call them as you see them.

What about the chat room? Will chat comments also be post-edited? Seems like there will be an inconsistency of tolerance of swear words in chat, but not in the forums.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Not to mention, sometimes a twat is just a twat. Ya gotta call them as you see them.

What about the chat room? Will chat comments also be post-edited? Seems like there will be an inconsistency of tolerance of swear words in chat, but not in the forums.

Fuck, yeah - I didn't think of that! Maybe they didn't either!

You shouldn't have told them, you twat! :wink: (emoticon of immunity)

D

deleted3782

Fuck, yeah - I didn't think of that! Maybe they didn't either!

You shouldn't have told them, you twat! :wink: (emoticon of immunity)

No worries, we can ask a mod to edit that revelation out of my post! Perhaps it was offensive to the chatters.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Like I explained in a earlier post, what I edited out was "go fuck yourself". It didn't change the meaning of the post in any way.
I edited out what I considered to be harrassment against another member, which according to LPSG isn't allowed.

I'm surprised you'd rather pay to join a site where people insult eachother instead of support eachother.

You seem to be well intentioned, I think trying to edit this site into a Victorian English class is going to be a frustrating and probably unsuccessful endeavor.

These days in this country those terms, and flipping a person off, are so common, even between friends, that they do not have the level of offensiveness they did to those of us from the fifties. (who were to some degree raised by Edwardian Great aunts)

jumbo747jet

Superior Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Example 1 sounds right? You are joking, right... or do you just mean you think I'm a vapid poster? Well I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I would say the first example I gave is more insulting as it makes a point and is a far more intentional insult - the way it is put is intended to hurt the person's feelings. But it seems you are cool with that kind of insult.

So - it appears I can make up a (potentially untrue) string of insults calculated to personally offend my target, as long as I don't swear. Gotcha - I'll do that in future.

Why do you feel that you have to insult somebody though ?
Can't you just argue your case constructively without any name calling or intentional insults of another person ?

Like I stated earlier, it's not the words in themselves which I object to.
If it's a matter of intentional insults, the wording will not matter. It will still be against our ToS as it falls under harrassment of other members.

Please, try and be supportive instead. After all, we are a support group.

This is my last response in this thread today as I feel I have explained my standpoint and don't think I can clarify more than I already have.

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's not a "new unwritten TOS rule"; it's a direct request from Rob_E that dates back to July 2007.

Mindseye, I have a lot of respect for you but, I have to say, I'm having trouble following your logic here. I clicked on the link above and didn't find anything that, to me, remotely looks like Rob_E stating that he want's peoples posts edited. Let me cut and paste what he posted so that people don't have to switch between screesn to read it:

Lex,

To my knowledge no one altered your signature. However, I will ask that you remove the link to Big D's site. I certainly can't stop him from setting up his own website, in fact I wish him success. However, if the point of his website is to leach members and generally talk about how bad this website is, I really don't think it's fair for me to give him free advertising.

Recent events have taken me out of my coding frenzy and forced me to start thinking about changes for the forum in general. I admit that we have an imperfect system. I think that we can make this place better, and I'm going to work hard to get us moving in the right direction.

My personal problem with Big D was that he seemed to always be negative.

Thanks,

Rob

He did mention that he wanted the link in someone's SIGNATURE edited out because he didn't want to give them free advertising to what was listed there.

That I can understand.

Please clarify how taking out a link to a competing webiste can be translated into censorship of what people post if it has nothing to do with said website.

This new course of action seems likely to speed people over to that site, quite justifiably in my opinion, with bitter feelings towards this site. I'm sure that's not what was intended but I can see it happening.

Thanks for your time,

Sklar

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
jumbojet said:
For me it's about showing respect for other people.

If you disagree with what somebody has posted, say so, and explain why you don't agree with what's been said, but do it without resorting to name calling and personal insults. Your argument isn't made stronger by personal insults and the like, rather the opposite.
But, the problem with this, Jet, is the fact that what you have proposed below is actually not ANY better than the original insult.

For example,
ManlyBanisters, you're a silly, vacuous poster - I can't stand your posts, they make me want to gnaw my own eyes out they are so banal and insipid. You whine and pontificate but never say anything - what a watse of Rob_E's server space.
Can you honestly say that this comment, which CLEARLY is an extreme insult, though said in a "adult fashion" is ANY LESS OFFENSIVE than:

Manly, your a stupid cunt who makes dumb posts. Rob should ban you

I've said the exact same thing, but, I've used the word cunt. It is still an insult, and a person who can't see that should really re-consider reading the paragraph a few more time. It's offensive.

Besides that, this whole, " Let's all get along, hold hands, and love each other " comments are a very lovely pipe dream, but it's not realistic. There are too many people here with WAY too many personalities. To "attempt" to force them to conform to your opinion, and that is what it is... as you have said you are just trying to make the site a better place in your opinion, is unfair, as even though you are a mod, you are just one person, with one set of beliefs and thoughts.

At times when feelings run high it might even be a good idea to refrain from posting a response to what has upset you, and stop and have a good think about how you best can get your own point of view across when you eventually do respond.

I hope this clarifies why I edited those posts and that you can all agree with me that keeping a respectful tone in our posts make LPSG a more welcoming and enjoyable site.
I agree with the idea of taking a step back to minimize confrontation, allowing yourself the chance to breath and calm down. A site doesn't need an excessive amount of hostility. However, you and the entire mod team, can't possibly agree that removing swear words/offensive words , while leaving offensive overall comments is a logical way to do it.

But, are you seriously going to sit there and edit every single offensive post? Methinks the Mod power is going to your head a bit. (btw, this comes off as an insult, but due to the fact that I haven't used any offensive words, I assuming that this will be left as it is) I know this comment is rude, but it's just my opinion and expression of my thoughts, based on your posts.

I'm sorry, but I fail to understand why a adult site about the penis can't demand that it's members are respectful towards eachother in their posts. Are you suggesting that if a site has a adult theme, anything goes, regardless ?
See, Jumbo... this is the problem. You make the comment that you aren't interested in making the site a "sunday school" classroom, but what would you call disallowing members of the site to express themselves in a vulgar manner? You aren't grasping what others are thinking. You've just decided that you dont' want people to use poopoo words, so you are gonna change it.

I don't understand how it can be so difficult to act respectfully. It makes me wonder how those who find it so difficult manage to hold down a job, unless it's completely cut off from interaction with other people.

Why do so many of you feel the need to call others stuff ? It doesn't seem healthy to me.
I can tell you honestly, jet... not everyone has the happy pill, sugar coated, hugs and kisses mentality that you seem to be exhibiting at the moment. I'm fine with the idea of LPSG being a place where people can express themselves freely. If insults run rampid, your job as a moderator is to give those people a warning, or enforce a ban, provided the mod team has come to an agreement that the comment be deemed as HARASSMENT, and something that is disallowed in the TOS.

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT...
People can hold down jobs because the internet allows others to voice their opinion without all this sugar coaded nonsense. In real life, you can say, "you're so silly". On the net, one has the chance to tell that same person that they are "Fucking tool that needs to be shit on." It doesn't mean that it should be ok, but you aren't going to change the inernet or a website this size. It's just what happens.

I understand that your retort to my post is going to be something in regards to me being a jaded member, bitching about how things were in the "old days", but to say that would be untrue. I'm just attempting to express my feelings that your current posts in this thread have been very poorly thought out.

Mem is asking if I'm striving for a kinder and gentler LPSG and the question in itself surprises me.
It shouldn't. That's what you are trying to do. Is it a bad thing? No. Are you doing it properly? Absolutely not. You're jumping in, declairing some sort of rule that doesn't seem well thought out at all.

For me it's only natural that a support group is welcoming, supportive, friendly and gentle. Disagreeing with somebody is fine and natural, but I fail to see how telling somebody he/she is a fucking idiot can be considered supportive.

Again, please read the part above and tell the site exactly how insulting someone using big words is any better than calling them a dumb cunt, or whore. It's still an insult. If you are going to ban cunt etc, please feel free to take out your microscope and disect every single post made by every single person on this site. People can be very good at hiding their insults. If that is what you want to happen, you are going to end up with a much angrier site. Just watch.

It doesn't mean we have to love everybody, but we do need to be able to get along.

And oddly enough, before you became a mod, before anyone became a mod, before you and I became members, before we decided that calling each other names was a naughty thing that should get a motherly slap on the wrist, the site manged to function. Oddly enough, not only did it function, it was actually a place full of intellectual comments and discussions. Apparently there are people out there in the world who don't care about what hamburger joint I like the best. Go figure.

Like I explained in a earlier post, what I edited out was "go fuck yourself". It didn't change the meaning of the post in any way. I edited out what I considered to be harrassment against another member, which according to LPSG isn't allowed.
But, the thing is, you edited it and called it harassment. If that's the case, I may come back onto the site and start reporting EVERY SINGLE POST that is considered an insult or harassment to some sort of person/group of people, only to complain when nothing get's done about it. Think about what you are suggesting.

Are you paying? Didn't think so.**

**Not an insult or harassment, but actually just a factual comment. It still hurts your feelings, doesn't it? Makes you have some sort of frustration towards me as a member. Gives you the desire to retort back. You may be able to control yourself, but others can't. Get over it.

I'm probably just going to get ignored or brushed aside, or potentially even ripped apart because I'm being an "asshole", but I really think this mod team (whom I like as people) needs to discuss as a group, what they feel the want from the site. THEN, they need to ask all 500,000 members what they want from the site.

What shouldn't happen, and yet seems to have happened, is a decision that makes members feel like they are getting a spanking because they made the decision to speak their mind, which I understand, is something that is rather important to most people. Whether they use swear words or 20 paragraphs to get their point across, it shouldn't matter.

If the moderators don't like what's being said, talk to the member, or discuss it as a group and modify the TOS so that members know what they are doing wrong. If members feel that they are being harassed, use the ignore/report post button.

Just as a side note, by repressing people's desire to express themselves as they wish, emotions are going to build up and people are going to become hostle, unable to release their feelings due to fears of getting edited.

Seriously, just reconsider this ridiculous rule and what you have posted in the things I have quoted. People will continue leaving if you and others treat them like students in a classroom. When you eliminate the chance to express, you eliminate part of the reason LPSG was so great.

Last edited:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Why do you feel that you have to insult somebody though ?
Can't you just argue your case constructively without any name calling or intentional insults of another person ?

Like I stated earlier, it's not the words in themselves which I object to.
If it's a matter of intentional insults, the wording will not matter. It will still be against our ToS as it falls under harrassment of other members.

Please, try and be supportive instead. After all, we are a support group.

I don't - generally speaking. Please review my post history (if you have a few weeks ) - they are some insults in there, some cutting remarks I'm sure, but they are not the mainstay of my posting here.

Sometimes, however - people need putting in their boxes - see these examples:
http://www.lpsg.org/81661-your-cock-not-womens-issue.html
http://www.lpsg.org/74251-back-the-fuck-off.html

These were well receive by the majority of the membership who responded and yet they are caustic and insulting, to a degree, in their nature.

This can be true in cases with individual 'targets' too - sometimes a person is behaving badly and a well put 'sitDOWN' from a member or two is far more effective and appropriately timed than reporting and having a mod deal with it later. You see we are not in school here - we do not want to raise our hands to have teacher come deal with it. We WANT to be able to tell each other to STFU. Now - as I posted earlier, Rob_E is completely within his rights to tell us to take it outside - but you all need to be clear with us about that, then we can all make our own decisions about whether this is the kind of site we want to hang out at or not, that being the case.

This is my last response in this thread today as I feel I have explained my standpoint and don't think I can clarify more than I already have.
I'm sorry you feel this thread is you explaining and not a discussion.