Censorship, or sheer stupidity?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My partner pointed this out to me, it was in today's Washington Post. I just simply copied and pasted the column. What the fuck were these so-called school administrators thinking? Keep in mind, this is high school honors students, not middle or elementary school...

NY Students Suspended for Reading "Vagina Monologues"

Censorship, Bureaucracy & American Education

In the latest jaw-dropping educational idiocy, three honors students at a suburban New York City high school have been suspended for saying "vagina" during an in-school performance of "The Vagina Monologues." The trio of 11th-grade girls from John Jay High were warned prior to the "open mic session" that it would be "inappropriate" to utter that word while performing Eve Ensler's "feminist play." But, rather than infringe upon Ensler's creative work, they decided as a team to disobey, reciting the "naughty" three syllables of anatomy in unison.

As a result, Megan Reback, Elan Stahl and Hannah Levinson each received "separate, one-day, in-school suspensions," starting today. Despite their punishment, the girls appear steadfast in their recalcitrance, stating they were "proud to say it," and others, including their parents, agree. Supporters have circulated e-mails and started a protest group on Facebook, while parents have written letters to the school board claiming the punishment amounts to censorship. Word has even gotten back to the author herself, who praised the girls and characterized the school's position as "absurd, a throwback to the Dark Ages."

Thus far, Principal Richard Leprine has denied any censorship, instead claiming that "the girls were punished not because of what they said but because they disobeyed orders not to say it." School Board President Peter Breslin abetted, stating that the decision to suspend "was not about censorship but rather about insubordination."

Fine, I'm willing to except [sic] that cop-out on face value, but if saying "vagina" wasn't a problem, then why issue an order forbidding it in the first place? Was the school's objective to teach them that no matter how repressively backwards a rule is, it must be followed blindly? Or maybe its goal was to demonstrate how irony (and/or totalitarianism) works by calling the event an "open mic" and then punishing those with the gall to speak into the said mic openly?

Either way, it seems the only thing the school achieved through this fiasco (other than giving the trio a kick-ass topic for their college essays), was to educate students and remind parents that bureaucracies care more about protecting their authority than accommodating the public they were designed to serve.

By Emil Steiner

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thus far, Principal Richard Leprine has denied any censorship, instead claiming that "the girls were punished not because of what they said but because they disobeyed orders not to say it." School Board President Peter Breslin abetted, stating that the decision to suspend "was not about censorship but rather about insubordination."

Bollocks (not yours). Dishonest bollocks in fact, the worst kind.

Fine, I'm willing to except [sic] that cop-out on face value, but if saying "vagina" wasn't a problem, then why issue an order forbidding it in the first place? Was the school's objective to teach them that no matter how repressively backwards a rule is, it must be followed blindly? Or maybe its goal was to demonstrate how irony (and/or totalitarianism) works by calling the event an "open mic" and then punishing those with the gall to speak into the said mic openly?

Both alternatives in the thread title clearly apply here, the former hiding, cravenly behind the latter. If there's any repressiveness involved it's not the rule to which it relates. The girls should be as proud as the Principal ought to be ashamed and embarrassed.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I completely agree with the school. Even though times are changing, the massive amount of off-color words, even words such as "vagina" that are being used in public and on TV, send the wrong signal to young people. Dennis

What signal would that be then, bearing in mind these are High school students? At what age would you advocate informing females of the correct names for their body parts.....20...30?

Yummy

1st Like
Media
http://209.161.33.50/dictionary/off-color
I completely agree with the school. Even though times are changing, the massive amount of off-color words, even words such as "vagina" that are being used in public and on TV, send the wrong signal to young people. Dennis

What word would you have had them use then? It's not like they said "pussy", after all. It's a technical term which has most likely also been used in their educations AT SCHOOL already (and if it hasn't been, it should have - how else would you discuss the female reproductive system). The word is not "off-color" - it is neither dubious or verging on the indecent. You would be sending the signal that NO word is appropriate for discussing certain things, when in fact they're the words young people should be selecting if their conversations are designed to be inoffensive and yet specific.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What word would you have had them use then? It's not like they said "pussy", after all. It's a technical term which has most likely also been used in their educations AT SCHOOL already (and if it hasn't been, it should have - how else would you discuss the female reproductive system). The word is not "off-color" - it is neither dubious or verging on the indecent. You would be sending the signal that NO word is appropriate for discussing certain things, when in fact they're the words young people should be selecting if their conversations are designed to be inoffensive and yet specific.

Don't you know we're supposed to use words like "wee-wee" to describe our private parts? Doesn't sound nearly as indecent as "vagina". What a dirty word.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Those dirty bitches should know better than to say "vagina", everyone knows it's "hoo-hoo".:rolleyes:

Dennis was apparently on the school board.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The censorship was in this case was sheer stupidity! I saw this on the news last night. Since I work in education, I was only mildly surprised by the stupidity of the administrators in question.

njqt466

My partner pointed this out to me, it was in today's Washington Post. I just simply copied and pasted the column. What the fuck were these so-called school administrators thinking? Keep in mind, this is high school honors students, not middle or elementary school...

NY Students Suspended for Reading "Vagina Monologues"

Censorship, Bureaucracy & American Education

In the latest jaw-dropping educational idiocy, three honors students at a suburban New York City high school have been suspended for saying "vagina" during an in-school performance of "The Vagina Monologues." The trio of 11th-grade girls from John Jay High were warned prior to the "open mic session" that it would be "inappropriate" to utter that word while performing Eve Ensler's "feminist play." But, rather than infringe upon Ensler's creative work, they decided as a team to disobey, reciting the "naughty" three syllables of anatomy in unison.

As a result, Megan Reback, Elan Stahl and Hannah Levinson each received "separate, one-day, in-school suspensions," starting today. Despite their punishment, the girls appear steadfast in their recalcitrance, stating they were "proud to say it," and others, including their parents, agree. Supporters have circulated e-mails and started a protest group on Facebook, while parents have written letters to the school board claiming the punishment amounts to censorship. Word has even gotten back to the author herself, who praised the girls and characterized the school's position as "absurd, a throwback to the Dark Ages."

Either way, it seems the only thing the school achieved through this fiasco (other than giving the trio a kick-ass topic for their college essays), was to educate students and remind parents that bureaucracies care more about protecting their authority than accommodating the public they were designed to serve.

By Emil Steiner

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This is so stupid. What is so different from saying 'arm' or 'leg' vs. 'vagina'? The U.S. is so friggin hung up on sex.

BTW, some teens recently changed a movie marquee around here for a Barney movie. They re-arranged the sign to say 'Barney has a Penis'. Some little girl saw it and said 'Look Dad, Barney has a Penis'. She had no idea what she was saying, but her dad was mortified. He wrote to our local paper saying his daughter had been scarred for life. The kid had no idea what a penis was, but her dad thought it had messed her up badly.

Fortunately, everyone who sent their opinions in, thought that while the prank was bad, it was the father who is nuts, not the pranksters or the child.

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Those dirty bitches should know better than to say "vagina", everyone knows it's "hoo-hoo".:rolleyes: Quote]

It's not a hoo-hoo, it's a hoo-HAA.

Did I blink and miss the memo that said the Puritans are back?? Since when is using proper names suddenly taboo?

The school said not to use the word but they did allow the play to be advertised. So how did they advertise it?

Presenting: "The Censorship Monologues!"

Another fine example of P/C at work.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Some vaginas may be an off color, but "vagina" is not an off-color word. Why in the world would you think that high school students should not know correct terminology for their own body parts? And if you read the entire column (which I put here in its entirety) you would have seen that the principal forbade them using that word, then claimed it was not censorship. Why would he, just for the fun of it, tell them that one particular word was forbidden? He suspended them not because they "said a bad word," but because they used a random word he told them not to say. That's just nuts.
This is so stupid. What is so different from saying 'arm' or 'leg' vs. 'vagina'? The U.S. is so friggin hung up on sex.

BTW, some teens recently changed a movie marquee around here for a Barney movie. They re-arranged the sign to say 'Barney has a Penis'. Some little girl saw it and said 'Look Dad, Barney has a Penis'. She had no idea what she was saying, but her dad was mortified. He wrote to our local paper saying his daughter had been scarred for life. The kid had no idea what a penis was, but her dad thought it had messed her up badly.

Fortunately, everyone who sent their opinions in, thought that while the prank was bad, it was the father who is nuts, not the pranksters or the child.
I have no doubts at all whatsoever that the poor little girl is scarred for life, but it has nothing to do with the word "penis" and everything to do with her warped and repressed father.
Did I blink and miss the memo that said the Puritans are back?? Since when is using proper names suddenly taboo?

The school said not to use the word but they did allow the play to be advertised. So how did they advertise it?

Presenting: "The Censorship Monologues!"

Another fine example of P/C at work.
Perhaps he would have been happier had they changed it to "The Flower of Womanhood Monologues." So-called politically correct has nothing to do with it, a grown man's insecurities has everything to do with it.