Census: Immigrants Stabilize Big City Populations

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
From CNN.com

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Without immigrants pouring into the nation's big metro areas, places such as New York, Los Angeles and Boston would be losing population.

Many smaller areas, including Battle Creek, Michigan, Ames, Iowa, and Corvallis, Oregon, would lose people as well, according to population estimates released Thursday by the Census Bureau.

"Immigrants are filling the void as domestic migrants are seeking opportunities in other places," said Mark Mather, a demographer at the Population Reference Bureau, a private research organization.
The New York metro area, which includes suburbs in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, added 1 million immigrants from 2000 to 2006. Without those immigrants, the region would have lost nearly 600,000 people.

Without immigration, the Los Angeles, California, metro area would have lost more than 200,000, the San Francisco, California, area would have lost 188,000 and the Boston, Massachusetts, area would have lost 101,000.

The Census Bureau estimates annual population totals as of July 1, using local records of births and deaths, Internal Revenue Service records of people moving within the United States and census statistics on immigrants. The estimates released Thursday were for metropolitan areas, which generally include cities and their suburbs.

Among the findings:

• Atlanta added more people than any other metro area from 2000 to 2006. The Atlanta area added 890,000 people, putting its population at about 5.1 million. Gaining the most after Atlanta were Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, Houston, Texas, Phoenix, Arizona, and Riverside, California.

• On a percentage basis, St. George in southwest Utah was the fastest growing metro area from 2000 to 2006. St. George's population jumped by 40 percent, to 126,000. The next highest percentage increases were in Greeley, Colorado, Cape Coral, Florida, Bend, Oregon, and Las Vegas, Nevada.

• The New Orleans, Lousiana, area, still recovering from Hurricane Katrina, lost nearly 290,000 people from 2005 to 2006, reducing its population to slightly more than 1 million. The Gulfport-Biloxi area in Mississippi, also hit hard by Katrina, lost nearly 27,000 people, dropping its population to 227,900.

• Parts of the Rust Belt also had large declines. The Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, metro area led the way, losing 60,000 people from 2000 to 2006. Its population loss was followed by declines in Cleveland, Ohio, Buffalo, New York, Youngstown, Ohio, and Scranton, Pennsylvania.

• Houston edged past Miami, Florida, to become the sixth largest metro area, with about 5.5 million people. Miami slipped to seventh.

There are about 36 million immigrants in the United States. About one-third are in the country illegally. The Census Bureau, however, does not distinguish between legal and illegal immigrants.

The White House floated a plan last month that would grant work visas to illegal immigrants, but they would have to return home and pay hefty fines to become legal U.S. residents.

Lawmakers were unable to reach an agreement last year on how best to stem the flow of illegal immigrants. Immigration was a contentious issue in many congressional races in November.

Many demographers associate shrinking populations with economic problems, typically poor job markets or prohibitive housing prices.
"A lot of cities rely on immigration to prop up their housing market and prop up their economies," said William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution, a Washington think tank.

Advocates for stricter immigration laws question whether a stable, or even a shrinking population, is bad.

"Don't we have concerns about congestion and sprawl and pollution?" asked Steven A. Camarota, director of research at the Center for Immigration Studies, which advocates for stricter immigration policies.

"Maybe those metro areas should think about what it would take to make Americans want to live there," Camarota said.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"Maybe those metro areas should think about what it would take to make Americans want to live there," Camarota said.

That's what I think.

Who's to say that people aren't moving out because of the immigrant influx? Or the Great White Flight of the 1970's when desegregation of urban districts got underway?

In my immediate area, though, immigrants can't afford the housing, so they're in the suburbs (or mid-suburbs, I guess).

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
That's what I think.

Who's to say that people aren't moving out because of the immigrant influx? Or the Great White Flight of the 1970's when desegregation of urban districts got underway?

In my immediate area, though, immigrants can't afford the housing, so they're in the suburbs (or mid-suburbs, I guess).

Please also note that it is usually the gay community that are the first to move BACK into urban areas that are run-down and revitalize them.

Crime, Grime and Schools. Fix them and they will come (they meaning all citizens).

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Please also note that it is usually the gay community that are the first to move BACK into urban areas that are run-down and revitalize them.

That's certainly how it appears to be here, especially in the northwest quadrant. My immediate neighborhood is loaded with professionals, politicals, and young urbanites.

Crime, Grime and Schools. Fix them and they will come (they meaning all citizens).

Definitely. Especially families. Many of the guys at work who have families wouldn't dream of moving into my neighborhood because of the District school system's reputation. I don't mind, though, being single and child-free myself.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
I didn't feel like starting a new thread on this and because I have a history with Lex I thought I'd put it here.

My son's best friend since first grade, a Mexican immigrant, a boy I love so very much you can't imagine, is in a juvenile detention center and the prospects aren't good.

He was set up by a wealthy family who didn't approve of his relationship with their little princess.

He is an honor student and the starting quarterback for the jv high school football team. Everyone loves him.

My heart is broken.

I have argued that minorities and such need to quit complaining. I still believe that. I believe our society is pretty egalitarian as a whole. But I never meant to suggest that racism isn't out there. I'm feeling its lash now.

His mom has raised three wonderful boys with neither a father to help nor the ability to speak english. She is a domestic servant. I have retained a top notch attorney for him but he says not to get my hopes up.

*cries*

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I didn't feel like starting a new thread on this and because I have a history with Lex I thought I'd put it here.

Shelby--thanks for posting this. I mean that. I feel that you have much to offer when you take the time and give us your direct thoughts, rather than the drive-by quips. This is a sad and powerful story and statement about class and race in America. Damn.

... My heart is broken....
I have argued that minorities and such need to quit complaining. I still believe that. I believe our society is pretty egalitarian as a whole. But I never meant to suggest that racism isn't out there. I'm feeling its lash now.

His mom has raised three wonderful boys with neither a father to help nor the ability to speak english. She is a domestic servant. I have retained a top notch attorney for him but he says not to get my hopes up.

*cries*

My heart is broken for this boy and his family as well (I include you, Shelby, as a family member). Unfortunately, until one tastes the sting of racism and discrimination, one can only imagine how deeply it cuts and how severely it burns. I am sorry that you have this pain in your life. I am, equally hopeful, that this will give you and those who may have some differing views of how to get there an opportunity to find more common ground than not.

Best of luck to you and thank you for helping this family. Whatever the outcome, it will be better for them having a friend with the ability and willingness to help.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Shelby, Lex and myself, along with many other minority people would be right in front agreeing with you that minorites are the first in line for blame for where things stand now. That doesn't excuse society as a whole from reformation though. So much discrimination and mistreatment still occurs because laws are not followed, situations are manipulated, people just won't share and be nice.

We probably have *almost* enough laws, we really need to start paying more attention that they are being followed, and prosecuting those who do not. In the case of your neighbor, his getting railroaded is hardly legal, but it happens every day. He can't "suck it up" because we're not talking about his behavior. How can you expect minorities to "suck up" the illegal and immoral behavior of others?

As an aisde, I just spent almost a half-hour unsucessfully looking for an artucle I read last week about the growing minority population in Christianity. I really wish I could find it, perhaps someone else saw it, or googles better than me. Anyway, it said that by about the year 2050, Christianity in America would no longer be a primarily "white" religion. If christians don't start embracing minorities, they will soon be the guy on the outside in their own religion.

I've always wondered why people aren't willing to make paradigm shifts even when it's in their own best interest. I think the fear of change is so deeply implanted in most people that they'd prefer even the most horrible realities that don't involve change to even small changes that could make dramatic improvements. Very sad.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Thank you Lex and MZ and all of the people who have read my post and sympathized.

At worst he could have to spend time and then be deported.

*cries harder*

At best his charges may be reduced to something liveable.

I know I play on the internet and shit but this is for real.

Lex, I know you would give me a real and heartfelt hug if you could. I truly appreciate it.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Shelby, Lex and myself, along with many other minority people would be right in front agreeing with you that minorites are the first in line for blame for where things stand now. That doesn't excuse society as a whole from reformation though. So much discrimination and mistreatment still occurs because laws are not followed, situations are manipulated, people just won't share and be nice.

We probably have *almost* enough laws, we really need to start paying more attention that they are being followed, and prosecuting those who do not. In the case of your neighbor, his getting railroaded is hardly legal, but it happens every day. He can't "suck it up" because we're not talking about his behavior. How can you expect minorities to "suck up" the illegal and immoral behavior of others?

Yes, many minorites have unfortunately been taught to blame society for everything that is miserable in their lives. This is obviously false and a form of learned helplessness. Minorities must do our own part--work twice as hard, twice as long--to get the same status so that we can dispell the centuries-old myths and stereotypes that feed all the racist thinking.

At the same time, when those of us who do ALL the "right" things still get treated like Niggers, Spics, Fags, and Dykes, it IS up to us to decry the unfair treatment. If it can happen to me, it can happen to the son of a domestic worker. That is all I have ever tried to say. Soon I will be Dr. Lex and I get treated like a no good nigger on a weekly basis at best.

If I do not speak for those who have no voice, then I have wasted all that I and my parent and grandparents worked for.

Thank you Lex and MZ and all of the people who have read my post and sympathized.​

EMPATHY, not sympathy. This story hurts me deeply.

Lex, I know you would give me a real and heartfelt hug if you could. I truly appreciate it.

Yes I would and I would also do whatever I could to help you help this young man if I were there. It pleaes me that depite our disagreements, that you know that. If there is someway I might help from afar, please let me know.

Also, DC DEEP is a great legal resource for social activism.

Please keep us posted.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I found the article I was looking for, should have known it was from Sojourners.

The unavoidable reality is that by the year 2050, projections point to a nation without an ethnic majority. In other words, the majority of Americans will be made up of current ethnic minorities. America will no longer be a Euro-centric, white nation. Furthermore, the trends seem to indicate that the non-white population among Christians is growing at a disproportional rate. In other words, American Christianity will become non-white before the rest of American society. Even now, most denominations are faced with the reality that unless they see growth among the ethnic minority population within their denomination, they will experience steady decline.

God's Politics - Jim Wallis blog, faith blog, religion, christian, christianity, politics, values

This is an article on the impact on the nation as a whole:

Jon Christian Ryter -- By 2050 Whites Will be The Minority Race in America

As I keep saying, life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday. We can dig in our heels and object, but the winds will laugh in our faces.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Thanks for those links, Zora. Found this powerful excerpt:

As an evangelical Christian, I look towards scripture for my guidance. In my study of scripture, I have yet to find a single passage which supports the right to bear arms. (I'm not arguing against the right to bear arms, I'm just saying I can't find a biblical reference regarding the right to bear arms).

I have, however, found numerous references (50+ and still counting) calling believers to care for the alien among them. Why is it then that I am more likely to find members of the NRA in a typical American evangelical church than I will find those who advocate for an immigration policy that shows compassion for the immigrant among us? How much of our view on immigration is driven by a political and social agenda rather than a biblical one?

Something for people of faith to think about.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks for those links, Zora.

I'm so glad I found them. I have JustAsking to thank for introducing me to Sojourners, he posted something from there quite a while ago, and I signed up for their email notifications. It's so refreshing to find a place where people of faith are doing the works their hearts call them to do. It's really an amazing group.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks for those links, Zora. Found this powerful excerpt:

Something for people of faith to think about.
Sadly most of our views immigration are politically driven...it's a shame. Didn't Jesus say all are welcome? Didn't he command to feed the hungry and clothe the poor, and isn't the reason people come to this country to find a better life?
And Shelby, that's awful what has happened to that young man. I really hope your attorney will be of some help. This kind of thing happens all the time and it makes me sick. I think it not only happens because of class or ethnic background, but gender as well...look at the unfair treatment of women who are brave enough to come forward with rape charges? I say it all belongs in the same toilet.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Shelby, I feel for the boy, his family, and for you. Even in an anonymous forum like this, you probably can't reveal the details since they're sub judice, but I think we can all imagine how easy it is to set-up someone, particularly a young person.

It burns me up to hear all this anti-imigrant prejudice in the USA, a nation of immigrants.

Three of my four grandparents couldn't speak English when they arrived, and two of those three struggled to learn it all their lives, staying cocooned in their own language communities. Four of their five sons fought for the USA in WWII, earning two Purple Hearts. Their grandchildren include doctors, PhDs, patent holders, scientists, and skilled tradesmen. They include loving parents, interesting thinkers, passionately involved in school and community activities. (Plus a silly gay adman, who at least pays quite a few taxes to help all that along.) The combined hard work of these three generations enriched America.

Do we expect any less from the next generation of immigrants? No? Why not?