CFO of Freddie MAC Commits Suicide

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Unless he confirms in a suicide note, or it comes out that he was under the threat of imminent arrest or criminal charges, I think it was probably largely unrelated to Freddie Mac issues.

I support someone's right to end their life when they see fit, but, that had to be a horrible discovery for his wife. Hope there were no children around.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Agreed.

There was a simillar situation, one of the richest men in the world (germany I think?) was in the top 20 richest, went from top 5 to bottom 20 (lost a couple of billion, commts suicide...) sad.

I do agree about the right to die issue (esp with terminal folks who don't want their savings/insurance/familly sucked dry while on a machine they don't need) if you have made your peace, its time to leave.

It's very sad. Horrible to be in a position where you think that's the only answer.

Star - Don't know much about Frank Raines, but seems like the people who really are to blame are usually the ones who don't feel guilty. Fred Goodwin hasn't shown much guilt/remorse (at least publicly) over his disastrous tenure at RBS.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Star - Don't know much about Frank Raines, but seems like the people who really are to blame are usually the ones who don't feel guilty. Fred Goodwin hasn't shown much guilt/remorse (at least publicly) over his disastrous tenure at RBS.

Couldn't agree more.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I read the article about the suicide this morning in (of all places) the NYTimes. [it was the only paper at the diner; otherwise I would use it to pick up pet extriment.]

The guy evidently had an unbelievable amount of pressure from groups with extremely divergent interests: shareholders, gov't and public. He was working 23 hour days and coming home only to change clothes; he had to hire security because the reporters/papparazzi were camped outside his home 24/7.

Sounds like the pressure, the public outcry, the heavy-handedness of gov't intervention, shareholder pressure and no sleep just caused him to snap. And he lost 98% on his stock options.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Everybody reaches their breaking point eventually.

Speculating on the breaking point of others is a really nasty bit of schadenfreude.

Star - Sounds like he was under far too much pressure. It's awful to be stuck in a position that is completely unmanageable, when there seems to be no way of altering it no matter what course of action you take.

Bbucko - Not sure that discussing the reason for someone's suicide is necessarily bad - doesn't mean you don't feel a great deal of sympathy towards them. I also think that if certain causes are identifiable - pressure overload/untenable situations, etc. - then maybe lessons can be learned and measures put in place to stop it happening to someone else?
(Not meaning to be rude here, btw - probably partly trying to justify my part in this thread's discussion! lol).

Last edited by a moderator:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Bbucko - Not sure that discussing the reason for someone's suicide is necessarily bad - doesn't mean you don't feel a great deal of sympathy towards them. I also think that if certain causes are identifiable - pressure overload/untenable situations, etc. - then maybe lessons can be learned and measures put in place to stop it happening to someone else?
(Not meaning to be rude here, btw - probably partly trying to justify my part in this thread's discussion! lol).

I agree that, in theory, there's nothing distasteful about discussing the suicide of a father and husband if it's done sympathetically. But when Starinvestor takes the time to lay partial blame for the man's death at "heavy-handedness of gov't", it's cheap exploitation, and more than a touch of glee at seeing how he can better illustrate his polemics with the death of a human being.

Yuck.