Change in attitude about masturbation, then and now

zawfi

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
A recent thread asked whether there have been changes in attitudes about penis size since the 1960s and 70s.

I wonder whether there have been big changes in the willingness to talk openly about masturbation since those days. It seems like the young guns are more willing to talk about jerking off now than in the 70s, when I was a punk of a kid. Back then, guys didn't want to mention it for fear that someone would accuse them of jerking off. Maybe I just grew up in an unusually repressed town, or maybe things really have changed and young guys are much more open and have a much more healthy attitude about this than in my day.

What do you think? Things have changed to become more open about jacking off or not? Or maybe guys aren't as open about this topic in high school and college as it seems to me.

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
A recent thread asked whether there have been changes in attitudes about penis size since the 1960s and 70s.

I wonder whether there have been big changes in the willingness to talk openly about masturbation since those days. It seems like the young guns are more willing to talk about jerking off now than in the 70s, when I was a punk of a kid. Back then, guys didn't want to mention it for fear that someone would accuse them of jerking off. Maybe I just grew up in an unusually repressed town, or maybe things really have changed and young guys are much more open and have a much more healthy attitude about this than in my day.

What do you think? Things have changed to become more open about jacking off or not? Or maybe guys aren't as open about this topic in high school and college as it seems to me.

I haven't seen the thread of which you have just spoken, but I will check it out later.

It is important to remember, I think, that in the 60's and 70's there were no personal computers, nor were there chatrooms or forums such as this one, with it's saftey of anonymity. We communicated in a very different way than we do today. Today, this electronic communication, with it's immediate connections and anonymity, allows us to say and do almost anything. In the old days, if your were not talking face to face, you had the telephone, or you could write letters. Today we can be in contact with someone around the otherside of the world and not even know them.

I joined only a few days ago, and this is my first such forum (I haven't been exposed to chatrooms, as yet) and within a few days of joining, I have opened up and said things, revealing many of my secret and inner- most thoughts. Somethinig that I have never, ever done, nor thought that I would ever do. Up until now, I have been a very private person and held my thoughts to my breast. This freedom to be one's self. say and to openly reveal...I never thought that I would ever tell the world that I was BI sexual...still scares me, even though I know that I am safe hiding behind a pseudony shield.

Even though I was raised in a large city, I believe that the young and the old alike talked about the same things we talk about today. It was just more private. Of course, guys in school and in the locker room discussed it all out in the open. Jackin off, that man down the street that would suck you off, what girl did what and to whom, all the same things we talk about today. It is just not communicated so widely, quickly, and so openly as it is today. There were women in my office that thought nothing of talking openly about sexual things. I was and still am taken back regarding this freedom to say anything in front of anyone.

With regards to guys being open about things in high school and college, well I know we were, but only with close friends. It was not something that one discussed in public.

In someways I like the new openess, and in otherway I am not. But, things change and you can't stop change and progress.