Chappaquiddick: What if it had happened today?

If I am not mistaken Eliot Spitzer had to give up the governorship just cuz he paid for sex, a totally victimless crime. An Idaho guy had to quit cuz he had gay bathroom sex, not even a crime.

Gay bathroom sex is a crime. Indecent exposure or solicitation to commit a lewd act in public is a crime.

This is not to excuse his crime but maybe after some time had passed he finally realised how wrong his actions were and decided the only way to make amends was to be the best senator (read: public servant) he could possibly be.

People can and do change for the better.

That's why I hope Ted Kennedy will use the time he has left to publicly apologize and fully admit to what happened. If he does that then I'll believe he has changed. If he doesn't, then he dies a coward and good riddance.

D_Marazion Analdouche

Experimental Member
Media
This is not to excuse his crime but maybe after some time had passed he finally realised how wrong his actions were and decided the only way to make amends was to be the best senator (read: public servant) he could possibly be.

People can and do change for the better.

The only reason he has been in office for so long is that the State of Mass cannot put a decent republican up against him. The man is a criminal, just happens to not be a convicted one. The first thing that popped into his mind that day was how to save his proverbial :moon: and nothing else.

It's sad how fast we are forgiving people that are in the public eye. To me it almost seems that because they are on TV people almost treat it like it's a movie. Not sure how else to explain it, why else would people say "he's been making up for it." He killed someone and only thought of himself, do people really think you can amend that? People make mistakes, we all have done things I'm sure, but he made a conscious decision that killed someone, that's not just a "mistake".

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
That's why I hope Ted Kennedy will use the time he has left to publicly apologize and fully admit to what happened. If he does that then I'll believe he has changed. If he doesn't, then he dies a coward and good riddance.

WHAT?!? And soil the good Kennedy name. His family will hasten his depature long before he is allowed to do anything like that.

WHAT?!? And soil the good Kennedy name. His family will hasten his depature long before he is allowed to do anything like that.

Maybe they can ease his pain by taking him on a long drive off a short pier? :eek:

D_Marazion Analdouche

Experimental Member
Media
Don't worry - it's just called "being a man"... It's a very common disease, although no cure have been found so far...

Ooops, hijacking yet another thread - let's go back to kicking some Kennedy ass

While I will not deny being capable of being the typical male, I do however pride myself on being able to process a few thoughts without having the image of boobies running through my mind :tongue:

However, talking badly about the Kennedys is my second favorite topic after boobies.

Let's take this a little bit deeper, this actually is also a racial issue to some extent. I agree with one of my favorite comedians Chris Rock when he spoke about the Kennedy family how they got their money from bootlegging, the crack of their day.

Does anyone truly believe that let's say 40 years from now an African American running for office funded by his grandfathers crack money would have any success (even if crack became legal in 40 years)? (for the record I am not saying that African Americans are the only people who sell crack, I'm only making a point.)

My parents were Kennedy fans and we used to debate this all the time. It's not looked at as being bad since alcohol is now legal etc but it was still a crime. They didn't get rich by inventing the cure for polio.

Ted and his "situation" screams of why the political system in this country is corrupt and is in need for a drastic change, this goes across both major political parties. The people that represent us MUST be held accountable for their actions just as we do, in fact they should be held to a higher standard. People just don't seem to care..............

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Anyone can have an accident. Thats surely forgivable. Not calling for help immediately was criminal. Thats not so forgivable. That was coldly calculating...

The only reason he has been in office for so long is that the State of Mass cannot put a decent republican up against him. The man is a criminal, just happens to not be a convicted one.
It's sad how fast we are forgiving people that are in the public eye. He killed someone and only thought of himself, do people really think you can amend that? People make mistakes, we all have done things I'm sure, but he made a conscious decision that killed someone, that's not just a "mistake".

(quote=Chappaquiddick Incident:)

Kennedy made a wrong turn
onto an unlit dirt road that led to Dike Bridge (also spelled Dyke Bridge), a wooden bridge angled obliquely to the road with no guardrail, and drove over its side. The car plunged into tide-swept Poucha Pond (at that location a channel) and came to rest upside down underwater. Kennedy later recalled that he was able to swim free of the vehicle, but Kopechne was not. Kennedy claimed at the inquest that he called Kopechne's name several times from the shore, then tried to swim down to reach her seven or eight times,
(quote)

I felt that his actions were negligent, but not criminal. One cannot overlook the fact that the lack of a guardrail and no lighting on the Dike Bridge were causative factors in this tragedy and posed dangers to the public. I hope that these risks have been eliminated. As Kopechne had only minutes left to live immediate action was needed and Kennedy tried to save her. But he and others that night were faced with the extremely difficult task of locating and rescuing someone in darkness underwater, which proved to be a fruitless exercise.

Your claim that he was not convicted is not true Wartrac. He pled guilty to and was convicted of the charge of leaving the scene of an accident after causing injury.

Being forgiving people is never a sad thing. In this case the forgiveness came from the girl's aggrieved parents. We need more forgiveness in this world as opposed to less.

Quote:portia:
The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.

The Merchant Of Venice Act 4, scene 1, 180–187

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hindenburg: What if it had happened today? :biggrin1:

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I felt that his actions were negligent, but not criminal. One cannot overlook the fact that the lack of a guardrail and no lighting on the Dike Bridge were causative factors in this tragedy and posed dangers to the public. I hope that these risks have been eliminated. As Kopechne had only minutes left to live immediate action was needed and Kennedy tried to save her. But he and others that night were faced with the extremely difficult task of locating and rescuing someone in darkness underwater, which proved to be a fruitless exercise.

Your claim that he was not convicted is not true Wartrac. He pled guilty to and was convicted of the charge of leaving the scene of an accident after causing injury.

Being forgiving people is never a sad thing. In this case the forgiveness came from the girl's aggrieved parents. We need more forgiveness in this world as opposed to less.

That was an awesome post. I do however feel that in my heart, Mary Jo was a marked woman and was destined to die a premature death simply by being George Smathers' secretary. I have no idea what really happened that night... it is confusing and Kennedy was covering something up, but I doubt that it was a murder by the hands of Ted (I'm not ruling it out either). Something happened that night... it's too bad that Mary Jo had to pay the price though. :(

D_Marazion Analdouche

Experimental Member
Media
(quote=Chappaquiddick Incident:)

Kennedy made a wrong turn onto an unlit dirt road that led to Dike Bridge (also spelled Dyke Bridge), a wooden bridge angled obliquely to the road with no guardrail, and drove over its side. The car plunged into tide-swept Poucha Pond (at that location a channel) and came to rest upside down underwater. Kennedy later recalled that he was able to swim free of the vehicle, but Kopechne was not. Kennedy claimed at the inquest that he called Kopechne's name several times from the shore, then tried to swim down to reach her seven or eight times,
(quote)

Quote:portia:
The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.

The Merchant Of Venice Act 4, scene 1, 180–187

My apologies I should have said he should be a "convicted felon" and have served more than a 2 months suspened sentence. The one part you didn't put in your post is that he didn't call authorities until the following day so his drunk *** could sober up. If you don't believe that there wasn't a further investigation along with more charges applied cause he was who he was....well, I'm not sure what to say.

Don't think I don't blame the parents here almost as much. I don't know if you're a parent or not. But if this happened to one of my kids the only reason I would forgive him is so that the courts would allow him back on the streets.

You forgive someone for stealing from you cause they need to feed their kids. You forgive someone for doing things you know deep down they didn't mean to do. You don't forgive someone for killing your daughter just so your drunk *** doesn't have it political career ruined.

I agree that forgiveness should be practiced more, just not for something like this. This you need justice plain and simple.