Charities.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Saint Vincent de Paul. And yes.

I used to support Concern as well but they started spending an awful lot on advertising and that's something I can't really sanction. Though they do do a lot of good work.

More recently I've been throwing the odd buck at Médecins Sans Frontières - I must confess I've not read up on them too much but a sister of a friend of mine does a lot of work for them (as a doctor) and I think SHE is great - so I guess I'm supporting her in a roundabout way.

zacktoria

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
my church sends support to schools in haiti....they are so in need...for $50 a year you can feed a child for a year. all the money raised goes to them, no admin fees. to me this the charity that speaks most to me.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
my church sends support to schools in haiti....they are so in need...for $50 a year you can feed a child for a year. all the money raised goes to them, no admin fees. to me this the charity that speaks most to me.
Yes, whatever you do, send money to Haiti. That is the saddest place in the world. Really.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Oprah's Angel Network.

She covers 100% of the overhead and administrative costs so that all your money goes to needy people.

Most charities are only on the line for a small percentage of the funds they receive. Sad, but true.

JA--great to hear of a charity with such a small overhead!!

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Habitat for Humanity

I may be doing some volunteer work with them in the future. I can't really donate money to charity anymore but may be able to donate some time.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Fisherhouse donates aid to military families, particularly those families of wounded soldiers.

http://www.fisherhouse.org/

National Parks Conservation Association advocates for the well being of the USA's national park system.

National Parks Conservation Association

HEAT provides aid to the poor who have trouble meeting utility bills during the winter months.

Oregon HEAT

The Surfrider Foundation advocates for environmental stewardship of the USA's coastlines.

Surfrider Foundation USA - Home Page

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
National Capitol Wheelchair Tennis Association
I donate time instead of money to this cause. I mostly coach. I have been doing it for over 5 years. I've met many great people.

Right To Play
Right To Play is run by the Sport for Development and Peace International Working Group (SDP IWG). It's programs help to create a healthier and safer world through the power of sport and play. You can donate money or become a volunteer. If you are a volunteer, you work with a partner to coach or develop sports programs in an underdeveloped or war-torn country. I feel very strongly about this cause.

Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada
Of all of my relatives who are dead, this was the main cause. I donate money.

Canadian Cancer Society
My family isn't really cancer-prone. I donate to this just because I think it's a good cause. I donate money and do the Terry Fox Run each year.

Canadian Diabetes Association
I really just donate used clothes to them. I am a bit of a "clothes horse," so they get a lot from me.

Royal Canadian Sea Cadets (RCSCC Falkland)
I donate time to this corps as a C.O. I mostly do administrative stuff like organizing trips, some basic budgeting, overseeing ceremonies, sometimes drill instruction if needed. Above all, I make sure they all get some time asea (as well as band, colour party or guard.)

That's pretty much all I do at the moment, at least on a regular basis. When the telemarketers call and ask for money, I can refuse them without guilt and say, "I already donate to other charities, thanks."