Charleston is due for 3-5" of global warming tonight.

Hotrocker

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I realize HB is being sardonic, but it's disturbing the number of seemingly intelligent people walking around spouting this off in earnest.

Climate has nothing to do with the weather in one particular area...nor the weather today, nor this season, nor even this year. Despite the winter cold in some places right now, the overall average temperature of the globe continues to edge upward.

^ THIS, FFS! Bill Nye even confirms it! I mean cmon, its Bill Nye: The Science Guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYvk1OtI0H0

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Let's see..................

It's January.

It's February, you twonk - has been for nearly two weeks.

Climate has nothing to do with the weather in one particular area...nor the weather today, nor this season, nor even this year.

Stupidest thing you ever posted, HG. Climate has everything to do with the weather, both generally and in particular areas. I would like to think that you meant that specific weather (and extremes thereof) has no bearing on determining whether the climate of a given region has changed / is changing unless it continuously deviates outside recorded norms.

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I realize HB is being sardonic, but it's disturbing the number of seemingly intelligent people walking around spouting this off in earnest.

Climate has nothing to do with the weather in one particular area...nor the weather today, nor this season, nor even this year. Despite the winter cold in some places right now, the overall average temperature of the globe continues to edge upward.

It's frankly counterintuitive, HG. And hard to explain, especially to people who have a rather shallow grasp of science in general and climate-relevant science in particular.

All I've managed to do with some people is make them more skeptical, because they honestly don't see why continuing increases in temperature yield stronger, heavier, snowier winter storms. Their non-scientific "common sense" approach leads them to believe that winters should be getting warmer, not colder, so they disbelieve the science even more.

Then there's the "that's the way it's always been" camp, full of people who don't understand that humans have already affected the climate in many parts of the world--including, ironically, the Fertile Crescent, understood today to be the birthplace of agriculture, which is now an area of infertile land that has been used up by poor agricultural practices that caused climate change. (See Jared Diamond's books Collapse and Guns, Germs, and Steel for references.)

NCbear (who, when discussing climate change with people who are ignorant of the science behind it, is reminded of the very old man in Louisville, Kentucky, who told me I should put tire chains on the REAR tires of my FRONT-wheel-drive Honda when we got more than a foot of snow because "that's where all tire chains go"--and wouldn't budge from that statement even when I informed him that my car was FRONT-wheel-drive :rolleyes:)

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Its Friday night, it must be snowing, right? :rolleyes:

Are you, like me, getting sick of the weekend--especially the necessary errand-running every Saturday morning--being spoiled by having to stay in the house because you can't get the car out of the ice/snow OR drive the unplowed streets??

At least this morning I was quickly able to get the soft, powdery snow off the cars, and the streets don't have much accumulation.

NCbear (who's no longer thinking "Canada, here we come"! :mad: )

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Go figure. :confused:

Charleston, WV?

(CRW or CHS?)

Now everyone is getting snow. We'd better have an alternate plan for the LPSG Meet N Greet here in Wilton Manors tonight, just in case. Seriously, though, if these gale force winds don't stop I'm gonna go batshit crazy.

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Charleston, WV?

(CRW or CHS?)

Now everyone is getting snow. We'd better have an alternate plan for the LPSG Meet N Greet here in Wilton Manors tonight, just in case. Seriously, though, if these gale force winds don't stop I'm gonna go farther down the road toward batshit crazy.

Charleston, WV?

(CRW or CHS?)

Now everyone is getting snow. We'd better have an alternate plan for the LPSG Meet N Greet here in Wilton Manors tonight, just in case. Seriously, though, if these gale force winds don't stop I'm gonna go even more batshit crazy.

Which fixed text do you like better?? :wink:

J/k

NCbear (who wishes gymfresh wouldn't go batshit crazy--the type of crazy he is already is crazy enough! :biggrin1: :emoticon with thumbs in my ears, waving my hands, and sticking my tongue out: :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:)

D

deleted3782

Interestingly, with this snowfall across the American South, there is now snow in at least a portion of all 48 lower states...plus Alaska. The only US state that has no snow is Hawaii. For you non-USonians out there...that is pretty unusual. Places like Louisiana and Florida rarely see snow, but they got some yesterday.

Here in central North Carolina, last night's snow makes three consecutive Fridays that we have had an accumulating snowfall.
8" on Jan 29th
3" on Feb 5th
2" on Feb 12th.
Snow has remained on the ground in shaded areas since the first snow. For my area, that is remarkable.

captain garbonzo

Experimental Member
Media
Hawaii does get snow, unless you are referring to this particular season.

And Vancouver is a mild maritime climate, so the rain and slush is typical. Whistler is farther up but still can be mild in Winter.

And according to the Weather Channel, the record highs far exceed the record lows last year anytime in recorded weather history (which does not go too far back). Climate change just happens. I don't think it's anything we can stop..

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Interestingly, with this snowfall across the American South, there is now snow in at least a portion of all 48 lower states...plus Alaska. The only US state that has no snow is Hawaii. For you non-USonians out there...that is pretty unusual. Places like Louisiana and Florida rarely see snow, but they got some yesterday.

Here in central North Carolina, last night's snow makes three consecutive Fridays that we have had an accumulating snowfall.
8" on Jan 29th
3" on Feb 5th
2" on Feb 12th.
Snow has remained on the ground in shaded areas since the first snow. For my area, that is remarkable.

You are correct EX., but this snow is melting rather hurriedly. I hope it takes some of its older relatives with it. Almost a month of snow on the ground has to be a record.

It's to bad good old Frank Deal no longer with us to help us to laugh our way through this mess.

D

deleted3782

Hawaii does get snow, unless you are referring to this particular season.

I was referring to that particular moment in time. In fact, the snow on the ground in Florida is probably gone...so the moment has likely passed.