Charlie Daniels on The Tea Party (and other things)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Northland, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Northland

Gold Member

I love old Charlie, ever since Uneasy Rider hit the radio waves I've been fascinated by this man. Today, while bopping about the Internet I stopped off at The Charlie Daniels Band - Soapbox and found an interesting item from him, which I felt obliged to share here. In it, he explains what the meaning of The Tea Party is and expresses views on many things and people. Check all his soapbox writings to learn even more.

So anyway, this one: Charlie Daniels - 2009 Soapbox Archives
    is an interesting one, as was this one: Charlie Daniels - 2009 Soapbox Archives

and his recent entry from April 12:
    Charlie Daniels - 2009 Soapbox Archives

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I stopped after this:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In my opinion, Barack Obama is more Muslim than Christian, despite the beliefs of some people that you can't be both, as Christians and Muslims worship different gods. He appears to try to walk between the two faiths.
    [/FONT]
    No need to read any further.

3. Northland

Gold Member

Which is precisely what is wrong with more than half of all the voting public-from all sides. A refusal to read through anything and discover any ideas or discover, ever, how people arrive at particular thoughts, and ways of thinking.

I specifically menitoned Daniels' tune Uneasy Rider for a reason. In that piece, he is decidely liberal, radical even. How does one go from one extreme to the other?

"Uneasy Rider"
    I was takin' a trip out to L.A. toolin' along in my Chevrolet Tokin' on a number and diggin' on the radio Just as I crossed the Mississippi line I heard that highway starting to whine And I knew that left rear tire was about to go

Well, the spare was flat and I got uptight
    'Cause there wasn't a filling station in sight
    So I just limped down on the shoulder on the rim
    I went as far as I could and when I stopped the car
    It was right in front of this little bar
    Kind of a redneck lookin' joint called the Dew Drop Inn

Verse 2:
    Well, I stuffed my hair up under my hat
    And told the bartender that I had a flat
    And would he be kind enough to give me change for a one
    There was one thing I was sure proud to see
    There wasn't a soul in the place 'cept for him and me
    And he just looked disgusted and pointed toward the telephone
    I called up a station down the road a way
    And he said he wasn't very busy today
    And he could have somebody there in just about 10 minutes or so He said, "Now, you just stay right where you're at" And I didn't bother to tell the durn fool that I sure as hell didn't have any place else to go

Verse 3
    I'd just ordered up a beer and sat down at the bar
    When some guy walked in , said, "Who owns this car
    With the peace sign, the mag wheels and four on the floor?" Well, he looked at me and I damn near died And I decided that I'd just wait outside So I laid a dollar on the bar and headed for the door Just when I thought I'd get out of there with my skin These three big dudes come a strollin' in With this one old drunk chick and some fella' with green teeth And I was almost to the door with the biggest one Said, "You tip your hat to this lady, son" And when i did all that hair fell out from underneath

Verse 4
    Now the last think I wanted was to get in a fight
    In Jackson, Mississippi, on a Saturday night
    'Specially when there was three of them and only one of me
    But they all started laughin' and I felt kinda sick
    And I knew I'd better think of something pretty quick
    So, I just reached out and kicked old "Green Teeth" right in the knee Now, he let out a yell that would curl your hair But before he could move I grabbed me a chair And said, "Watch him folks, 'cause he's a thoroughly dangerous man Well, you may not know it, but this man's a spy He's an undercover agent for the FBI And he's been sent down here to infiltrate the Klu Klux Klan"

Verse 5
    He was still bent over, holdin' on to his knee
    But everybody else was lookin' at and listenin'' to me
    And I laid it on thicker and heavier and I went
    I said, "Would you believe this man has gone as far
    As tearin' Wallace stickers off the bumpers of cars
    And he voted for George McGovern for president
    Well, he's a friend of those long-haired, hippie-type pinko fags And I'll bet you he's even got a commie flag Tacked up on the wall inside of his garage He's a snake in the grass, I'll tell you guys He may look dumb, but that's just a disguise He's a mastermind in the ways of espionage

Verse 6
    They all started lookin' real suspicious at him
    And he jumped up and said, "Just wait a minute, Jim,
    You know he's lyin', I've been livin' here all of my life
    I'm a faithful follower of brother John Birch
    And I belong to the Antioch Baptist Church
    And I ain't even got a garage, you can call home and ask my wife" Then he started sayin' somethin' 'bout the way I was dressed But I didn't wait around to hear the rest I was too busy movin' and hopin' I didn't run out of luck And when I hit the ground I was makin' tracks And they were just takin' my car off the jacks So I threw the man a twenty and jumped in and fired that mother up

Verse 7
    Mario Andretti would've sure been proud
    Of the way I was movin' when I passed that crowd
    Comin' out the door and headed toward me in a trot
    And I guess I shoulda' gone ahead and run
    But, somehow, I just couldn't resist the fun
    Of chasin' them all just once around the parking lot
    Well, they headed for their car, but I hit the gas
    And spun around and headed them off at the pass
    I was slingin' gravel and puttin' a ton of dust in the air Well, I had them all out there steppin' and fetchin' Like their heads were on fire and their asses was catching' But I figured I'd better go ahead and split before they cops got there...

4. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Charlie Daniels is your average Scots-Irish fool. He is ultimately just another right wing moron and a closet racist.

5. Industrialsize

Albums:
    No, I stopped reading because when a Piece starts off with Obama is a Muslim, I've already read that script and know exactly what is to follow.Trying to demonize someone because they are a Muslim is pathetic. Obama is a Christian, not that it should matter one IOTA if he were a Muslim. I'm a Buddhist, would that preclude me from holding public office in Charles Daniel's world?

6. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    "Uneasy Rider" fooled many liberals into becoming Charlie Daniels fans. Charlie Daniels is as fucking right wing as they get, he makes Toby Keith look like Michael Moore.

I loved his music as a child, but I grew up and now see him for the douchebag that he is.

7. conntom

Gold Member

People grow up. You know the whole if you;re not 19 and liberal you have no heart - if you;re forty and not conservative you have no brain.

People grow up and learn what the world and people are like and you do away with your little boy and girl notion about how the world should be. Well......most people grow up....

As far as the song - do you think there might be jusy a little humor in there? Oh that's right - no humor from the left.

8. conntom

Gold Member

Why not just enjoy the music? Heck, I can name several way left musicians that make awesome music regardless of the political leanings.

9. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Trust me... we all read it.
    Saying that Obama is more "Muslim" than "Christian" is nothing more than a beaten to death scare tactic, used to rally up the religious right and their sheep. Doesn't matter what song you put it in, or what political or social spokesmodel you use to convey the message. Instead of these ridiculous, character smearing tactics, focus on policy. Otherwise, you'll just sound as if you're just scared of someone who doesn't look, act and think exactly like you.

10. Northland

Gold Member

Which is part and parcel of what is wrong with the ignorant voters. In the course of minutes you went from quoting correctly what Daniels says, 'Obama is more Muslim than Christian' to rewording it as 'Obama is a Muslim'. Big difference; however, it is often the second or third re-quote which gains media play. You do a disservice by requoting incorrectly and by changing the meaning. Yes, Daniels feels Obama is more towards a Muslim way of thinking, he does not say Obama is a Muslim, as you so hastily changed it to. Your (and others) changing the context in that manner is inexcusable.
    You also carefully (not craftily or cleverly by any means) sliced off the first words from Daniels:

My Opinion

I have observed Barack Obama in office for over a year now and have drawn some conclusions, which are my personal opinion only. I do not claim to represent the opinions of any other group or individual.

You additionally refused to read his subsequent paragraphs which explain how he arrived at this place of thinking. Anyone who makes their decisions based on only partial information is just as guilty as the one or ones who they casts stones upon.

11. Industrialsize

Albums:
    Why is the religion of President Obama even an issue?

12. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't think that anyone can resist "Devil Went Down To Georgia" or "Wooly Swamp" regardless of their political persuasion.

As a member of the left, I don't like the xenophobia, racism and rush to violence like the right wingers. Right wingers spill blood and have no problem sending as many soldiers to their deaths. Collateral damage is basically a right wing term.

Left wingers are for peace, equality, equanimity, tolerance and the environment... go ahead and hate left wingers because they desire peace. You will just rot in hell for it.

How could anyone in their right mind dislike people because they desire peace, equality, equanimity, and justice? You need to get your priorities in order and have a serious look at yourself if you have a problem with left wing musicians. 95% of musicians are left wing, it's because they are artists. Artists are special people that have brains that are capable of the "pro social emotions" that make one a liberal.

Empathy and guilt... if you have those qualities, you are a liberal, if you don't you are a conservative.

You are a conservative because you lack the basic emotions that enable humans to be decent people.

Don't hate or even dislike people that have those basic emotions. It's not their fault that you have little or no ability to be empathetic or feel guilty in your DNA.

That is your problem and stop punishing the world because you simply don't understand it.

13. conntom

Gold Member

For the most part I totally agree with you. Just, well, it seems Islam has this little problem with murder and violence on people that are...well...just like me and you. So yea - it bothers me a bit. I prefer not to be killed in the name of Allah.

14. therarity84

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You could change "Islam" to "Christianity" and "Allah" to "God" and it would still carry the same weight...:rolleyes:

P.S. I've never met a Muslim that wanted to slaughter me. In fact, the ones I have had the pleasure of knowing were much nicer and more accepting of me than any Christian I knew. There goes your stereotype.

15. Northland

Gold Member

Not according to Industrialsize.
    And you sound like a desperate character out of a low budget movie that goes directly to DVD and a person with an even bigger fear that there may be some truth in what is being said against the Dems, just as there are some truths about what is said against the Reps. Enjoy your fear.

16. Northland

Gold Member

Good question and why did you decide to make that your entire focal point, and to the degree of your changing the context of what Daniels had written?

17. houtx48

Gold Member

''People grow up. You know the whole if you;re not 19 and liberal you have no heart - if you;re forty and not conservative you have no brain.''......................are your eyes brown or are you a quart low?

18. Boobalaa

Gold Member

The "dumbing-down" of America has its strength in the communication technologies of the day..and not in it's intelligent, thought out discussions..with the internet and numerous 24 hr news stations..anything anyone puts out there is going to be repeated and re-repeated, sensationalizing an otherwise laughable idea. Hire enough commentators for big bucks, good looks and a flashy smile and you have yourselves a public relations publicity circus masquerading as a "news" network..
    It takes less energy to Think for yourself.Try this..next time you're in a group setting and someone brings up a political issue and starts talking about it..ask where they heard that..then ask what they think about the issue..not what they think about what someone else thinks about it..but what they think about the issue..
    Most of this shit is all thoughts about thoughts about other peoples thoughts.reflections about reflections...like the ol school house game about whispering a secret in a long line of kids..by the time it gets to the end of the line..the message has been garbled and changed..

It's a silly joke!! People holding up the constitution and shouting "taxation without representation"
    It's about fixing potholes..Ok When you drive down the road and run over a pothole..Are you going to stop your car, open up the trunk and get your shovel and bag of asphalt out and patch the hole?..Naw..Are you going to call AAA or Allstate or Geico and give them your policy number to come fix the pothole?..Naw
    It's about buiding fences,,..Ok..keeping you out of harms way and keeping harm out of your way..Are you going to hire your own private gate keeper?..What if your gate keeper and somebody else's gate keeper get in a fight or become friends and decide to raise your rates and charge both of you a higher price for doing less work?
    It's about financial peace of mind..THE MAIN REASON..The Housing Market, Wall Street, and Insurance Cooperation's had a very hard time the past couple of years was NOT BECAUSE there were too many rules and regulations..NO! They fucked up because there weren't enough rules regulations..Imagine roads without any stop signs and arrows and warning signs..
    It's about Health Care and Education!! Probably the most contentious issues..
    So..your kids are old now and don't use the school system and you don't need them anymore?..Fine..you can fill out a form that exepts you from helping to pay for that tax..But that form you fill out is paid for by Taxpayers money..so are you going to pay someone privately to make the forms..or maybe your kids are still in school, but you don't want to send them to "public" school because it's full of mexicans..So what do you do?..Put um in Private school or Religious School..Fine..With the money you save in public school taxes, you can spend on gas carting your kids back and forth..Oh..I forgot to mention?..Private schools raise their rates yearly..and religious schools?..If they never see your face in church..your kid ain't going to school there for long..It's the oldest and largest "in group" clique on Earth!!
    How about health care?..As long as you don't need it we're ok..and visa versa..I know..you don't want to pay for someone else's health care..or/and be "forced" to buy it. So..what then?..Go and visit your friendly smily-face "account representative" down at the local Kaiser and they'll set you up on a great life-long pharmaceutical regime..Naw..don't pay attention to that "Thrive" commercial bullshit..that's just there to make you feel good about Kaiser..not to make you feel good about yourself..Sure go ahead..you don't have to change your life style at all..just keep taking your medication .Oh..and there are forms you can fill out if you don't want Medicare or Medi-cade..but then again..those forms are paid for with taxpayers money also..

So please..I would like to see a consensus of the "Tea Parties" on what taxes are bad and what taxes are good and then sit back and watch the circus

#18 Boobalaa, Apr 16, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  19. Smooth88

Smooth88 New Member

Albums:
    Um you must think all Muslims are extremists and you have not many Muslims if any or know about the Islamic faith at all. Read the Qu'ran. And you know many Christian extremists and fundamentalist have a problem with um.... anybody who could be associated with Islam.

List of People you know who are Muslim

Shaquille O'Neal
    Dave Chapelle
    The Axis Of Evil Trio (Muslim Comedians)
    Iman (The Model)
    Imran Khan
    Zinedine Zidane
    Ahmad Rashad
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    T-Pain
    Hedo Turkoglu

Just to name a few.

20. conntom

Gold Member

Smooth - I know all religions have at one point or another had too many people kill in the name of their god - but I'm alive now and Islam wants me dead now and there is not a lot of Muslims crying foul over the deeds of Muslims. This includes:

Shaquille O'Neal
    Dave Chapelle
    The Axis Of Evil Trio (Muslim Comedians)
    Iman (The Model)
    Imran Khan
    Zinedine Zidane
    Ahmad Rashad
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    T-Pain
    Hedo Turkoglu

Draft saved Draft deleted