Charlton Heston Dies at 84

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_becominghorse, Apr 6, 2008.

1. B_becominghorse

B_becominghorse New Member

2. D_Kaye Throttlebottom

that's sad "Planet of the Apes" was a fav. RIP, Charlie

3. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    rip....he was a great actor, but I couldn't stand the man and his stance on guns.....watch bowling for columbine if you want to understand why i feel this way about him

4. Principessa

Gold Member

Oh no! I loved him, I thought he was a great actor.
    He will be missed. :frown1:

5. MisterVIP

MisterVIP Well-Known Member

Albums:
  6. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    hey man, my only problem with gun control is the fact that peope with mental illnesses can buy guns, and the fact that a person can buy/own guns such as machine guns and guns that serve no purpose other than to kill humans..... I know i am starting something here and I'm sorry. I think that the original meaning of the right to bear arms in the constitution was put there so if our country is attacked we can have guns to protect ourselves and our country... don't have a problem with hunting or having a gun for self defense, but as stated above there is no reason to have a gun with that much power...

7. transformer_99

Gold Member

For the most part any society is a collection of the mentally ill. It's just a matter of the degree or retardation that exists. Guns have evolved into what they have in terms of firepower. Imagine buying a gun for self defense and then getting into a situation and learning that your attacker has more firepower than you do ? Makes self defense relative terminology ?

Anyway, Heston's gone and one would have to question his having a gun, being diagnosed w/ Alzheimer's ?

8. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Very sad. Wonderful actor and great man. He will be missed.

9. D_Chocho_Lippz

D_Chocho_Lippz Account Disabled

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -Thomas Jefferson

"The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -Samuel Adams

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." -Edward R. Murrow

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed—unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." -James Madison

"God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it." -Daniel Webster

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution

Sounds to me that the Founding Fathers wanted all citizens to have guns.... not for hunting, not for shooting intruders... but for protecting themselves from their own government.

As far as people having mental illnesses. Sure... But who gets to decide who is and who is not mentally ill? The government, of whom the guns are supposed to be used against if they get out of control?

No, that doesn't work.....

10. B_becominghorse

B_becominghorse New Member

His best movie may be 'Touch of Evil', the Orson Welles noir masterpiece, although it's the most atypical. This film has everything unexpected in it, from Janet Leigh to fat Orson himself, to Marlene Dietrich, and Heston is very good too. If that's not enough, Mercedes Fucking McCambridge and Zsa Zsa Gabor (still alive) and Dennis Weaver have bit parts in it too, plus Henry Mancini before Audrey Hepburn movies.

11. transformer_99

Gold Member

Those one-liners worked & even sounded macho back in the day, our government (USA), if it turned on us would annihilate us, we'd stand less of a chance than Saddam's forces did in Iraq. Why do you think we put up with all the bullshit they feed us and a $ 1/2 trillion debt/deficit ? This crew in the news story linked below, they better figure out how to do this peaceably or there's going to be another Texas cult that gets massacred.

Excite News - Tensions Build at Polygamist Retreat

12. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

nonsense, transformer.

Look at Afghanistan, Vietnam, or any other recent conflict in which a superpower tried to take on a backwards group of villagers with small arms...

No amount of power can hold territory against an armed populace... a fact our imbecile of a president has had to re-learn in Iraq.

The US has never and will never be invaded because of its armed populace...

And... the second amendment IS the last check against tyranny.
    Seeing how the Republicans have raped this country to fatten their wallets these past 8 years... I can see what Jefferson was thinking.

Governments must fear their people... not vice versa.

The problem with the US today is that half the people would willingly toss out the second amendment... and the other half would willingly toss out the first.

The only FUNCTIONAL definition of a patriot is defense of the ENTIRE constitution.
    ( please understand that I, personally revile guns and would never own one... but your civil rights are a separate issue)

And as to the fact that some folks get shot with guns... well... MOST of those killed are not killed by legal gun owners...

And Automobiles, which are not even designed to kill people, still kill over twice as many people as guns... every year..

The most dangerous and deadly object in the hands of the American people is the steering wheel...

And I never hear anyone demanding we outlaw cars...

13. MARCOPOLO4

MARCOPOLO4 New Member

the mere possession of a firearm in your house is asking for trouble. i have never owned one nor will i ever.

14. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I think this thread should be split into a thread about gun control and the original thread.

I adored many of Heston's film; Omega Man and El Cid come tops for me - but Ben Hur, Planet of the Apes, Khartoum, etc. are all in my library too and bear rewatching better than many film.

RIP

15. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

I suppose someone will remove the gun from his cold dead hand...

You do remember his statement about that at an NRA convention?

16. mrpond

mrpond New Member

mr heston's views on the civil rights of the 1960s make interesting reading.

17. wirbly

wirbly New Member

Yes a great actor, of my favorites though the movie "The Mother Load" was considered a bomb, but amazing acting by him. Kim Bassinger headlined the movie along with Nick Mancusso. As far as guns I own one, most of my family does. Anything can be a deadly weapon, drunk drivers head the list. A rock, a club. a knife, only difference is guns can kill at at a greater distance, but than so can a drunk driver, your point is moot...

18. transformer_99

Gold Member

Our government only fears us in election years and even there the group that has been in power has been there since only God knows when, even perpetuated by nepotisms of relationships. How else does one explain a family of Bush clan in power. Cheney's been involved one way or another since Nixon at least.

It's doubtful this nation is organized enough to put up much of a resistance to the National Guard and any policing authority. Doubtful it could organize until it was briefly over. As for not being invaded, Pearl Harbor and 9/11/2K1 were invasions, this nation remains under attack and without having Iraq as an off-site battleground, that attention would be directed @ the US. I respect your right to agree or disagree with that, but we can't even resolve illegal immigration.

Afghanistan, Vietnam, Iraq, all 1/2 a world away. What were the real goals anyway. Was it anything on the scale of WW II ? The goal there was to take down Hitler and the forces spared no effort. Iraq in taking down Saddam is comparable as a successful war in that regard. Winning the peace is a different story. Perhaps a wall needs to be built like the Berlin Wall to keep those groups from fighting one another over Iraq ? WW II, we had the US, Europe and Russia keeping Germany from reforming as a superpower. Unfortunately that didn't happen in Iraq, there just wasn't enough interest from the others to be that involved.

19. Principessa

Gold Member

<SIGH> Yes, I am. However unlike many here I can separate my feelings for the actor and some of the charactors he portrayed, from my feelings, on the man and his ridiculous, right wing politics.

20. naughty

Gold Member

I thought he had the word "white" in there, too. When I saw it I just thought he was reliving his moment on the mountaintop as Moses .He held his arms up in the same way as he did when he was holding up the Ten Commandments.

That being said, his death is like the end of an era. I truly was inspired by many of his movie roles but we will always have them on film to treasure. Rest in peace, Mr. Heston.

Draft saved Draft deleted