Chat etiquette

bigunzippedstudent9

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Dude, really just get over this guy. Period.

I'm sure you two had some great convos together, but now he is over it and bored! Honestly I think thats what has happened. I have a few guys who keep messaging me and I only give 1 word answers back after half an hour. I know they are nice guys, but I'm just bored and feel bad about cutting them loose... which I end up doing eventually. A better man would just 'break up' with a chat buddy or delete him sooner.

Frnkd213

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Dude, really just get over this guy. Period.

I'm sure you two had some great convos together, but now he is over it and bored! Honestly I think thats what has happened. I have a few guys who keep messaging me and I only give 1 word answers back after half an hour. I know they are nice guys, but I'm just bored and feel bad about cutting them loose... which I end up doing eventually. A better man would just 'break up' with a chat buddy or delete him sooner.

it is an example using a real situation dude... a point people here have stated is that chat is for the sake of chatting it may be about nonsense, unless you communicate that you would like a more serious chat. I got that and now all is good, with me and this expectation.

so again my question is what is an expectation of chat. not what am I going to do in this situation. If you can share your expectations that would be great at least it may help others who have similar concerns. From other responses i get that chat is an open venue of expectations. I get that.

I am not trying to find a solution to the real life examples. I want to be a better chatter in general. and from the suggestion of those that I got, I have already started practicing their suggestions.

With the few regulars that I have chat with I now wait a few second even between replies so that if there are more that is being sent I give the other person time to type. I type fast and realize that it can be frustrating and annoying when replies make no sense unless you look back that it referred to something several lines back. and that if there are long gaps I have started asking if they dont mind that I may not get back to them right away as i am also doing something else in between.

any other suggestions on what you expect in chat would be appreciated. sorry for any confusion. but I like the guy in the example, hes a longtime chatter, I am new so his expectations or etiquette is more like what it should be, i guess. and mine was apparently, unrealistic in this chat world.....getting better.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Frank if you want to get better at chatting, I'd love it if sometime you see I am in the chatroom here on LPSG that you come in and chat it up with me and I will introduce you to the room. We can go over some of what you are seeing in private and I can help you through our concerns.