Check out Scott Poulson-Bryant's "HUNG"

Man-thang

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Wassup everyone? I'm new to this board although I have visited off and on. Over time I've enjoyed your insight and witty repartee as well as your experiences which you've generously shared. In short, you all seem like a great group of people. I wanted to let everyone know that I'm starting up our own book club. Oprah may have hers but there's no reason why we cannot start our own. While shopping in downtown Brooklyn my eyes were drawn to the window of a Barnes & Noble featuring a book with the naked torso of a black man and a ruler and the words "Hung" in bold non-serif letters. Intrigued I decided to go online to check it out. Let me tell you I am so glad someone has had the courage to write about the thing that every black man in this society has to live up to and feel insecure about. Dick. On the website Poulson-Bryant talks about that movie "Crash" and what their "Crash moment" was when they realize intolerance runs deep. Let me relay my own to all of you dear lpsgers. Just recently, I was filming a movie and was searching for a restroom to put on my long underwear (under the costume) and there was a line already forming to a unisex bathroom. A middle-aged white guy with glasses asked why don't I just use the overcrowded impromptu dressing room? I responed that I'd just bought new long underwear and had to layer them in order to keep warm. "Why don't you change in there. It's not like you have you don't have anything they haven't seen before." He included, "Besides after I heard what you black guys have I would'nt feel ashamed." WTF?! The way I responded didn't reflect they way I felt inside. A man twice my age was saying this to me in public! He didn't know me. Yet he made this blanket generalization. I wanted to tell him straight-faced how racist he was being in front of everyone. He might as well had added the n-word to what he said. This is what I'm talking about people. For years I've been burdened with the idea that people of my color, background, and physical stature are supposed to be endowed like farm animals. Nevermind our achievements or contributions to this annoyingly vapid, sexually obsessed/repressed society. Althroughout puberty I was shackled with the idea of maleness being represented in the the amount of flesh that hung between my legs. I've obsessed about it endlessly and I'm sure many of you have too. Especially black men and men of color. Finally, I had to realize that like many of you I was trying to live up to a incredible stupid ideal. Sure, there are those of us that wish we had more (or less) but from a young age you are forced to contend with the images that society continues put forth and continue to perpetuate. At times I get tired of being viewed as the "big black stud" because it dehumanizes me and I know I'm not alone. Enough is enough America. Even if times have changed and the American public has become so diverse why do we still cling to these fallacies which are rooted in such a unsettling past of American history? Surely, I'm more than the sum of my parts. Check out www.ruhung.com to learn more about this book and please let me know your thoughts on this topic.

petite_judy

1st Like
Media
San Francisco....thinking about moving to Georgia!
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Hi Man-thang. I'm a girl who likes a big dick but I agree that its not right to make generalizations or have expectations about someone based on things like race, physical stature or anything else. I think part of the problem is that many people only consider negative generalizations as racist. Most people consider a big dick a positive so they don't think its racist to assume all black men are hung. In reality any assumption based on the color of someone's skin is racist. Its the same as assuming all blacks are good at basketball and if the're not then the're a let down, even when they might be great at many other things. Anyway, just wanted to let you know not all of us are like that. Even for a girl who likes big dicks, I know the true measure of a man is more than just the measure of his dick. Hope i was of some help.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Man-thang, thanks for that thoughtful contribution. I've noticed some members questioning why the thread "Are Black Men Bigger?" gets sarcasm, frustration or 'rolling eyes' from some of us. I hope those members read your post. It explains why very eloquently.

Simon9

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'll check the site out. Good thread, Manthang.

As Judy says, a lot of people probably don't think a generalization is racist (a negative concept to most) if it's a "positive" generalization. That said, it sounds like that guy's comment REALLY got under your skin. I'm sure he meant it humourously. Maybe he really does believe all black guys are hung.

I'm just glad you didn't take it out and whack him upside the head and knock his glasses off.

B_cricketsliar

Experimental Member
Media
Man-thang said:
Wassup everyone? I'm new to this board although I have visited off and on. Over time I've enjoyed your insight and witty repartee as well as your experiences which you've generously shared. In short, you all seem like a great group of people. I wanted to let everyone know that I'm starting up our own book club. Oprah may have hers but there's no reason why we cannot start our own. While shopping in downtown Brooklyn my eyes were drawn to the window of a Barnes & Noble featuring a book with the naked torso of a black man and a ruler and the words "Hung" in bold non-serif letters. Intrigued I decided to go online to check it out. Let me tell you I am so glad someone has had the courage to write about the thing that every black man in this society has to live up to and feel insecure about. Dick. On the website Poulson-Bryant talks about that movie "Crash" and what their "Crash moment" was when they realize intolerance runs deep. Let me relay my own to all of you dear lpsgers. Just recently, I was filming a movie and was searching for a restroom to put on my long underwear (under the costume) and there was a line already forming to a unisex bathroom. A middle-aged white guy with glasses asked why don't I just use the overcrowded impromptu dressing room? I responed that I'd just bought new long underwear and had to layer them in order to keep warm. "Why don't you change in there. It's not like you have you don't have anything they haven't seen before." He included, "Besides after I heard what you black guys have I would'nt feel ashamed." WTF?! The way I responded didn't reflect they way I felt inside. A man twice my age was saying this to me in public! He didn't know me. Yet he made this blanket generalization. I wanted to tell him straight-faced how racist he was being in front of everyone. He might as well had added the n-word to what he said. This is what I'm talking about people. For years I've been burdened with the idea that people of my color, background, and physical stature are supposed to be endowed like farm animals. Nevermind our achievements or contributions to this annoyingly vapid, sexually obsessed/repressed society. Althroughout puberty I was shackled with the idea of maleness being represented in the the amount of flesh that hung between my legs. I've obsessed about it endlessly and I'm sure many of you have too. Especially black men and men of color. Finally, I had to realize that like many of you I was trying to live up to a incredible stupid ideal. Sure, there are those of us that wish we had more (or less) but from a young age you are forced to contend with the images that society continues put forth and continue to perpetuate. At times I get tired of being viewed as the "big black stud" because it dehumanizes me and I know I'm not alone. Enough is enough America. Even if times have changed and the American public has become so diverse why do we still cling to these fallacies which are rooted in such a unsettling past of American history? Surely, I'm more than the sum of my parts. Check out www.ruhung.com to learn more about this book and please let me know your thoughts on this topic.

Poulson, he used to be at Brown University right?

On a recent visit to Barnes & Noble, I did get a chance to skim certain sections of the Book, and I must admit that I felt just a little bit cheated by his treatment of the Historical and Sociological factors contributing to the construction of the "Extra-Large Black Penis" stereotype.

More interesting to me was his treatment of The Black embrace of the "Extra-Large Black Penis" stereotype, and how much of that has to do with the economic, and cultural importance ascribed to the Phallus amongst men in key situations. In my reading of Poulson, he quite humorously linked the general Black acceptance of the "Extra Large Black Penis" stereotype to a need to recoup Male power, and Male Dominance from White Men. Using your situation as an example, many Black Men might have been offended by the Homosexual kernel in the White Man's statement, but still affirmed the sterotype of having a Bigger Dick to affront the White Guy's sense of being otherwise superior.

Hung_Caliboy672180

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
lol omg this is funny because i just red a chapter of this is Vibe magazine. and i was like "wow even though this dosnt apply to me directly i still thought it was good for somone to come out and talk about it.