Check out this cool way to help Haiti (and others)

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Flashy, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

Cargo Containers Could Help House Haitians - AOL News

also check out some of the different companies websites in the article and look at some of these amazing projects they have created!

Container City? | Home

looks really great to provide pretty affordable low cost solutions for places in the 3rd world that really need help.

it could also provide solutions for the homeless in the developed world as well!

very fascinating stuff.

2. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I bet there would be more than a few homeless people in N America that wouldn't mind a container home too.

I recycled three containers this year. We painted them to match the building and insulated them, put in a small HVAC and some lights and voila!... extra stock rooms. You don't even really need much of a foundation. One is fitted out for storing paints and thinners and is air conditioned, so if there is an accident, we don't have that stuff in the main building. I did everything for about $2500.

3. Flashy

Gold Member

that's really cool Vince...seems like a fantastic solution, not just for storage needs at your business.

certainly having a roof over your head, for someone on the street would be fantastic, and this is taking something already built, and reusing it when it would other wise be scrap...

also, the conversion of these would certainly be good for the economy as well, considering the large size of them, it could even work well for homeless families (which is really tough, because nobody wants to separate a family to shelter them) if you set up sort of a trailer park style system, with a central shelter/support facility that provided water and electricity etc, then the containers could be built around it.

i think it is a fantastic idea

4. Drifterwood

Gold Member

They need to be well ventilated because they get f'ing hot in the sun.

Maybe the immigrants who come over in containers could use them to supply their own housing?

5. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

This is fascinating.
    I wonder how much containers cost?

6. Flashy

Gold Member

if you get a chance to read the article rubi, they say they can be bought for under $1,000 per container...then the guy in the article, said that he built a four container school for $12,000

"Martin previously installed a school compound of four containers in Mandeville, Jamaica, in 2000. Built at a material cost of just $12,000, the school serves more than 100 students through the fifth grade."

pretty cool! also the links to all these companies who are starting to do these things are listed in there.

7. Flashy

Gold Member

8. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

And he says that container-built buildings already in Haiti survived the 7.0-magnitude earthquake.
    At that price, and that apparent strength, they sound ideal, Flashy.

9. Flashy

Gold Member

i agree...with a little work and refurbishment, they could be great...not to mention that i guess the structural integrity, being four solid steel sides, is far superior to mere wooden frames with plaster, no doubt.

hope somebody really takes this idea and runs with it. Seems like one of this truly simple things that could do immense good, with very little effort, and just a great idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted