Check this out on the web...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by prepstudinsc, Dec 10, 2005.

1. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

I went to sign on earlier this morning, to find the board down. MSN search came up with a whole bunch of other LPSG links, including things from the old board (three or four incanations ago), but this really caught my attention.

http://forums.politicsla.com/archive/index.php/t-9703.html

I fell over laughing when I read the thread.

2. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Haha. A lot of posters here think they are smarter then they really are. DoubleMeatWhopper is no exception.

Dear God.

3. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

Everyone thinks he is smarter than he actually is. That goes for English teachers as well as embittered psych students who take it upon themselves to launch an ill-conceived personal 'investigation' without all the salient details. And forum members who assume they can discern the 'truth' from circumstantial lack of evidence often manifest the symptoms of that delusion. People who actually need to know the whole truth will find it out without digging.

What surprises is me is that anyone outside of LPSG is interested in what was discussed in that forum. Nothing scandalous happened, or was even hinted at.

4. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Poor generalization seguing into another of your veiled threats, Jacinto? I thought we buried the hatchet, sweet boy. Well, I'm at least thankful that you didn't outright accuse me of notifying news officials and writing letters to teachers...

Either way, I laughed my ass off when I followed Monty's link. I was very surprised as well to know that some real folks living in that parish caught wind of what was going on around here. And -- well, this doesn't surprise me one bit, actually -- the same sorts of concerns were floating about there. Is it a violation of professional ethics for a teacher and a student to converse on a message board, especially on a sensitive and risque topic like the male penis? Once someone willingly puts information out about themselves on the Internet, what privileges exist regarding contact and investigation? What is legitimate or what is not? Is the Internet truly representative of the population?

If the world's smallest instrument is playing piteously just for you, does it have to be a violin? I prefer something synthesized or maybe even a good drum bass line.

But, I'm gonna say it again -- you're the only one responsible for putting your good name out there, J., and I'm obviously not the only one wondering if you're half of what you say you are. That's your burden, man. Deal.

5. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

The only reason I posted that link after it came up when LPSG was down and MSN did an automatic search, was that we all need to be careful if we are in positions that deal with children, students or other professional situations in which something like this could compromise our careers.

It goes to show that LPSG is not just a happy little family, it's far reaching. Many people warned DMW and Pony Pete about their interaction on here and then on a Louisiana bulletin board, look what pops up. Yeah Pony Pete knew what he was doing, but what if DMW gave him a bad grade or something, this would have been a perfect opportunity for Pete to get DMW in trouble. Some body trolling the Louisiana board could easily have sent the state education board a link, too, and gotten DMW in a lot of trouble. We can never be too careful.

6. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Thanks for the heads-up, Monty. The link does not work for me for some strange reason (seems that the Googl Cached version has the thread while the live site does not...Hmmm...). Probably for the best.

7. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Somehow the thread was deleted after "Unregistered90210" (Dee) posted this:

*continues to continue to watch the continuing of the continuing continue*

8. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

This one had me in tears:

9. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

What threat? Nothing in that post was intended as or could be intepreted as a threat.

Uh ... excuse me? It was not I who began this thread. I thought Monty's job was to bury, not resurrect, the dead.

I wouldn't make such accusations because I have no knowledge of you doing such things. I don't think that you would.

I don't doubt it.

This was a concern of mine as well. That's why I was a bit concerned when Pete first posted. But the local school board raises no objections to teachers and students belonging to the same civic and fraternal organizations; I see this as being a similar situation. I made it clear that what is posted on LPSG by either of us was not to be brought up at school.

You and I have both willingly put information about ourselves on the Internet, including our names here at LPSG. A Google search of Dion Hill Lexington Kentucky used to give an address and phone number. I don't know if that was your address and phone or not: though 'Hill' is a common name, 'Dion' is not. That entry is no longer at Google, but it was still there at the time you began your 'Reality Police' thread. If someone showed up at that address looking for you, would you be pissed? You would have reason to. When two people... maybe LPSG members, maybe not ... called my cousin's house inquiring about me, I felt that my privacy had been violated. What privileges may exist in a legal sense might well differ from a sense of courtesy: information gleaned through a search engine is not an invitation to compile someone else's life history or search for that person's location.

What you and others do and do not wonder is not my burden. You will have your doubts and your theories, and so will others. That's fine. In case you haven't noticed, your opinions about me don't exactly cripple me or destroy my credibility. I do deal, but that doesn't mean that I relish the rehashing of what I thought was a dead issue.

10. B_caneadea

B_caneadea New Member

I was impressed with everything DoubleMeatWhopper had to say. Unlike some people, he doesn't rant, whine, bitch, or resort to name calling.

And, his students evaluation of his teaching prowess should make us all proud.

11. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

How would people even find your cousin's number? They would have had to know some details about your life that most of us on here don't know. I don't even know your brothers' names and they are lurkers on the site, let alone your cousin's name or where he lives. That is going waaaaaaay over the line. But with threads like the one I posted on the 'net, that's why I posted that link. We all need to be careful and excercise professionalism.

12. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

That I will explain in a PM. I'm trusting you to keep it private. I actually trust your integrity more than you probably expect.

13. madame_zora

Gold Member

He's a class act. Most of us were sick to our stomachs when this all came about earlier in the year, but it's over and done with. The only "crime" DMW is guilty of is trying to protect his privacy from would-be sleuths, gee, I wonder why someone would do that? *duh*

Unlike me, he is consistantly a moderate and reasonable voice around here. I know I respect that a great deal.

14. D_Martin van Burden

"Public record" isn't something to fuck with, that's for sure. For the record, yes, the address and phone number were indeed mine. Heh, kinda shocked me actually, but that's what I deserved for getting a local telephone number without requesting to be unpublished. Thank the stars that White Pages aren't very helpful in tracking cell phone numbers. Perhaps my anonymity is tucked in there somewhere with all the other miscellaneous fees I get each month from my cell phone provider.

I don't feel like I have much more to say on stalking, privacy violations, and what have you. Perhaps it's strange to have relatively low anxiety about that, but I just do. I think it's because I don't put a whole lot of stuff out there about my life. I do what I can to protect my privacy. I don't believe anyone would really go out of their way to hunt me down, particularly with regard to someone else's fascination or obsession with me or if debtors were really tired of me dodging the bills. I pay my shit on time, and I would leave it up to the REAL (reality) police (a.k.a. police officials, local government) to deal with people whose behavior bordered on harrassment. That's who to call if you think people are stalking you, right?

All I ever did, say, or claim about you, J., is that your pictures look pretty inconsistent, and that I couldn't verify things you OUTRIGHT said were true about your life at one point, like coaching at Jena High School. While you recanted and apologized for telling falsehoods (praise God), the issues of reality versus confidentiality, Internet authenticity, and all that never really went away. Those subjects continue to come up in conversation -- get this -- even if they aren't pertaining to your life.

Quite frankly, if I thought I were such hot shit, so much so that I deliberately gave false information to get the "hundreds and thousands" of people lusting after me off my back, well, then I'd believe I were a real head case and seek treatment. For real. I'm certainly not a member here in order to gain popularity or to have people licking my ass as a statement of my grandeur. Oh, hells no. That's too many people to have on a Christmas card list. :p

I'm just me, man. I like a handful of people enough to make them real friends in the real world, and they know I love them quite a bit -- enough that it sparks conversations about how strange, odd, and yet fuckin' wondeful it is to make real world friendships in a big dick forum of all places. It's just how I see the world of relationships.

Other than clearing up things that didn't and make still don't add up about you, J., I don't really care. I mean that. It's beyond an issue of liking you or not liking you. I got people in the real world that I need to figure that stuff up about. I don't have anything to gain or lose from making you look how you want to look. So, if you still think I'm participating in some sort of vendetta, please don't flatter yourself. Like I said, I just read the thread, got surprised, and started laughing my ass off.

15. dolf250

dolf250 New Member

On other boards I have seen an icon of the smiley face smashing his head against a wall. If we had the icon available I would use it immediately after the sentence “Here we go again.” I suppose I should caulk it up to a new owner and a new board requiring yet another incarnation of the same crap.

16. B_caneadea

B_caneadea New Member

__________________________________________-
    Yep. Winter's here. Don't forget to "caulk" your new owner!:D

17. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Be sure to try Mega Caulk.

18. dolf250

dolf250 New Member

O.K.- Can I blame "caulk" on Words spell check and my poor proof reading? :D
    Pecker- do you have a link for everything?

19. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I gots a million of 'em.

20. D_Martin van Burden

Ummmm... so what part of "...I just read the thread, got surprised, and started laughing my ass off" suggests that we're going to drag this out for another five or ten web pages, Dolf? I already made my point [which is conveniently reminiscent of this emoticon] :cool: . And, for good measure, let's throw in this one :p and this one :D to suggest that it's time to move on.

Draft saved Draft deleted