Check Your Receipt For Racial Slurs, Folks!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_one and done, Oct 21, 2008.

1. D_one and done

D_one and done New Member

well, i read a very... er... interesting story today from one of my friends.

she and her brother went to journeys a few days ago where he purchased a pair of shoes. later on that day they saw the shoes for a cheaper price at another store, so they proceeded back to journeys to make a return. when asked by the cashier the reason for their return they explained that they saw the same shoes for a cheaper price at another store. so she completed the transaction and they left the mall.

later that night her brother noticed something odd about the receipt and went to show it to the rest of the family. under the area designated for the customer's name, the receipt read "Dumb Nigger." of course that didn't sit well with them and they went back to the store the next day to talk to a manager about it. apparently the woman who was responsible for their transaction was the assistant manager, and when confronted about it she denied it.

after some "choice words" i'm sure, she admitted that she knew he (the manager) had stored the "Dumb Nigger" option in journey's computer. when a customer makes a return, they punch a code into the computer and a lists of options pops up. that option was at the very bottom, so im sure she was well aware of what she was doing.

her parents were interviewed about the situation. im not sure what course of action they plan to take but i know exactly what i would do if it happened to me.

the moral of this story: racism is still out there, despite all of the strides that have been made. it seems to be so deep rooted that i doubt it will ever go away completely. its sad really. sad and infuriating.

time for litigation i'd say.

#1 D_one and done, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. invisibleman

Gold Member

Hey, check this out.

http://www.racewire.org/archives/2007/04/niggerbrown_couch_packaged_and.html

3. arktrucker

Gold Member

Albums:
    When I was living in Atlanta, I wrote a check at Eckherd Drugs. They stamped the back to get my drivers license information and I noticed there was a space for race. I asked them what was the reason for needing that info and of course, I was told they didn't know it was just on the stamp. I reached over the counter and took my check back and never darkened their door again. There is no reason for needing to know someones race to write a check or anything else.

4. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

If you read down you'll see that one is a bit different - it is a far eastern company using the term 'Niger-Brown' (legit colour reference) and typoing it. The fact the company do not check their product labels well enough to spot that is a shame, but not an intentional slur.

The 'dumb nigger' thing was intentional and is disgusting.

5. D_one and done

got to it before i could. and you probably said it better than i would anyway lol. thanks manlybannisters. :biggrin1:

that situation is interesting , but i think that was just a spelling error.

6. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    Damn that's insane!

Crap just reread that. The Manager put "dumb nigger" as an option, and the Assistant Manager puts the code on a receipt? Sounds like everybody is in on this.

This is a manager and asst manager doing this crap!
    Time to sue.
    Get a lawyer.
    NOW!

<edit>Save that receipt and put it in a safe place!

#6 TurkeyWithaSunburn, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  7. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I'm really really shocked that any business would have that coded into their system!

8. cockoloco

Gold Member

Albums:
    Exactly! I was shocked too! Because this is not personal, the whole business is involved!

9. D_one and done

me too! im not sure how much access managers have into the computer systems, but the way it was told, the manager in that store was responsible for putting that into the system. and theres no telling how long this type of thing has gone on without anyone noticing. you'd think that someone would keep more careful watch over the computer systems. *shrugs*

if its an isolated thing then you can bet that journeys is definitely going to hang out to dry whoever is responsible to take the blame off of themselves.

to what extent would journeys itself be responsible?

10. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:

duh... like the "business" is going to do that. i'm sure the COO, no the board of directors passed this down into the retail trenches. this is some individual either who is a vehement racist on down to just goofing off.

the exception vs the norm. unfortunately, you are never going to be able to remove this element. my guess, whomever got fired for this instance won't change their ways.

11. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

So what's your solution then, fk?

Just leave it be? Not bother firing the guy because he'll be racist in his next job so why not let him be racist in this one?

You know full well what nudeyorker meant - and he's right.

12. DGirl

Gold Member

Goodness..."
    I am from good ol' Mo also.."
    That place will NEVER change..."
    SAD...............

13. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

I'm actually speechless

14. Principessa

Gold Member

Grrr, nothing about this backwards state surprises me any more.

One of the reasons I still don't have a Georgia drivers license is because they ask for race. Why? It's a picture i.d.! Even if I were light enough to pass, why would that matter. Neither ethnicity, nor race decide ones ability to drive. :irked:

15. Mr Ed in Mass

Gold Member

Massachusetts,The most corrupt of the 57 states.

Are you sure that they didn't ask if you like to drag race?

16. Principessa

Gold Member

yes I am :biggrin1:

17. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

One time I bought a Gallon on Homogenized milk and it said "GalHomo" on the receipt.

18. naughty

Gold Member

PA,

Not in any way defending the race designation on a license but as we both know there are people who have darker complexions who are not considered African American so that is not always a given that someone would know. There are people who would be offended if you said they were African American. That in itself is a whole other discussion.
    As for the OP, sweetheart that is just another example of how far we have regressed and some have not progressed at all. Your friend does need to push that button though. There is NO place for that kind of racial profiling.

19. Mattness

Mattness New Member

Albums:
    Kirkland, WA (Outside of Seattle, Washington)
    LustLover, that's despicable.

I don't know what kind of store Journeys is, a local or National store, but you really should consider writing a letter to the CEO of the company threatening a lawsuit.

You might get some free merchandise out of it if you're not actually going to pursue a lawsuit (which you should).

Good luck!

20. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Draft saved Draft deleted