Cheese and biscuits and pickles.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
A few questions for our American cousins....it probably sounds a weird or boring question, but I just love pickles (in particular beetroot and onion), and I really want to know if they are as popular in the States as they are over here. I know you guys like your gherkins, but that's as far as my American pickle knowledge goes I'm afraid .:rolleyes:

So, do you guys go for the cheese and pickles? Do you eat any kind of customary meals after the main event (i.e Christmas/Thanksgiving dinner)?

After Christmas supper (in particular), us Brits like to eat some good cheeses, along with some assorted savoury biscuits, some apple and celery, and a wide range of pickles.....pickled beetroot, onion, fruit and vegetable chutneys, cabbage, piccallili.....the cheeses will almost always include a good ripe stilton, a decent cheddar, and some kind of softer cheese such as roquefort, camembert, saint agur.....

Mmmmmmmm........

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I love pickled beets, as well as regular cucumber pickles (especially bread and butter pickles), but I go wild over pickled okra.

I don't know if it's a "standard" thing, but many people will have fruit and cheese after meals. One of my good friends always has fruit, cheese and wine after meals when he and his wife entertain. It's quite delicious. I, for one, love cheese. I love to go to my local market and just explore all the cheese possibilities, from imported cheese, to small batch cheese made by local dairies.

I've never seen cheese served with pickles here, just fruit (particularly grapes). There really isn't a traditional Christmas dinner though most people have a ham or turkey. We don't have nearly as many meals as you do. Most of the time we have three and even then, many people just have breakfast or lunch, and dinner. It's what helps contribute to keeping us fat.

nay-nay

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i once ate cottage cheese and dill pickles with pepsi. it was good. :biggrin1: hahaha! :tongue:

but no, no one i know eats cheese and pickles. :confused:

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've never heard that term Gherkin before in America. We just call them pickles, referring to the cucumber variety both sweet and dill.

We usually don't eat them with cheese either. They usually come with deli sandwiches and rarely with anything else it seems. They are a great digestive but unfortunately the trend has not been picked up in America to have them after formal sit down meals. I have also had them in Korean and Japanese and Indian restaurants where they are served either before or with the main dish.

Cheese as desert seems like a very European thing and quite appropriate to settle the stomach and neutralize food acids on your teeth but here as we generally like our deserts sweet.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've never heard that term Gherkin before in America. We just call them pickles, referring to the cucumber variety both sweet and dill.

And I always thought that you guys called them gherkins....:smile:

We also like our sweets, we make our own classic British puds at my pub....Apple or Rhubarb or Plum Crumble with oodles of hot custard, Sherry or Tia Maria Trifle, Queen of Puddings, Sticky Toffee Pudding with toffee sauce, Sussex Pond Pudding, amongst many....all delicious!

Normally everyone blobs out after Christmas Dinner, then later in the day it's cold turkey and ham, baked potatoes, salad and pickle (!), followed by cheese and biscuits with pickles, apple and celery! We go pickle crazy!

Cheeses that our family stick to would be good British cheeses, such as a good quality Cheddar, a ripe Stilton, Y-Fenni cheese (love this!), and some other European Cheeses such as a good Roquefort, a Camembert and some SaintAgur.

What kind of cheese would you eat in the States?

You ever come over to mine Earl, and I'll give you the full British cheese and pickle experience!!!

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
After Christmas Eve Dinner we have a white cheese and Touron nougat. I usually stick to the regular desserts.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
After Christmas supper (in particular), us Brits like to eat some good cheeses, along with some assorted savoury biscuits, some apple and celery, and a wide range of pickles.....pickled beetroot, onion, fruit and vegetable chutneys, cabbage, piccallili.....the cheeses will almost always include a good ripe stilton, a decent cheddar, and some kind of softer cheese such as roquefort, camembert, saint agur.....

We do? I've never heard of this tradition. :eek:

Is it particularly southern or northern?

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Mmmmmmmm........

No red-blooded American has the faintest idea what you're talking about. The only cucumbers that are popular over here are cucumber pickles.

unique_exposure

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Some pickles say "sweet gherkins" on them, its a type of mini cucumber I believe.

I love cheese and can put it on almost anything. I don't drink milk so cheese is my calcium. Occasionally I will get goat cheese, Camembert for crackers, but you can't eat alot of it. My favorite is 9-12 month old organic cheddar, for occasions. Incredible difference in flavor and firmer, crumblier texture.

For the most part I buy "milk aisle" more afforable supermarket cheese, which is more milky, less pungent: white cheddar, jalapeno jack.

Gorgonzola on veggies.

American cheese (kraft singles, etc) is not cheese. Shame on Kraft... shame.