Chemicals may affect size of boys genitals

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by empressfromme, May 29, 2005.

1. empressfromme

empressfromme New Member

Chemicals affect boys' genital size

High levels during moms' pregnancy hurt development, study says
    May 27, 2005

BY SETH BORENSTEIN
    KNIGHT RIDDER NEWSPAPERS

WASHINGTON -- Baby boys are far more likely to have smaller, less developed genitals if their mothers had high levels of chemicals commonly found in cosmetics, detergents, medicines and plastics, a study released Friday said.

The higher the levels of the chemical compound phthalates in the mothers during the final months of pregnancy, the less masculine their boys were when examined by pediatricians, said the study's lead author, Shanna Swan, a professor of reproductive epidemiology at the University of Rochester in New York.

"We were able to show, even with a relatively small sample, that phthalate-exposed boys have an increased likelihood of a cluster of genital changes," Swan said Thursday.

The infant sons of the high phthalate-level moms had more instances of smaller penises and scrotums and not properly descended testicles, according to the peer-review study published in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives. Boys of highly exposed moms were four to 10 times more likely to have reduced genital development.

The most glaring difference between exposed boys was in the anogenital distance, the measurement from the genitals to the anus. In males it is twice the size of females, and a smaller distance has been shown in animal studies to indicate reduced testosterone levels.

Nine of the 10 boys exposed to the highest mix of different phthalates had short anogenital distances.

Scientists are concerned that these boys might go into puberty late, be infertile and contract testicular cancer because that's what rats with similar reduced anogenital distances showed, said Earl Gray, a senior research biologist at the federal Environmental Protection Agency.

The mothers in the federally funded study -- including those with high phthalate levels -- showed similar levels in the range and amounts of the chemicals as the average American, based on previous studies by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said study coauthor Antonia Calafat, the CDC's lead research chemist.

"If I were pregnant, I would try to keep my phthalate levels low," said study coauthor Christine Ternand, a professor of pediatric endocrinology at the University of Minnesota. "How I would do that would be a tricky thing."

Phthalates are used as plasticizers, solvents, coatings and perfume fixatives. They are in hundreds of products, including food packaging, coatings on time-released medicines, soap, shampoo, nail polish, hair sprays, detergents, and vinyl floor coverings.

Marian Stanley, a senior director of the American Chemistry Council and spokeswoman for a group of companies that use phthalates, said it was too hard to come to any conclusion from the Swan study, especially since it involved too few people.

The study, conducted in Minneapolis, St. Paul, Minn., Columbia, Mo., and Los Angeles, examined 85 infant boys and used urine samples taken from their mothers during the last few months of pregnancy. The National Institutes of Health and the EPA paid for it.

2. geist

geist Member

Albums:
    sort of scary... to think about it.

3. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Also keep in mind that many (I can't say all) of the phthalates are also teratogenic - known to cause mutations or serious deviation from normal growth. This could be in the form of abnormal growths & tumors in a person already born, or abnormal formation of a fetus. We often used a compound in Organic Chemistry lab called "dibutyl phthalate" and of course, used a great deal of cautions & precautions when handling it.

4. ctfire18

ctfire18 New Member

This is very interesting,

better stay away from it or the products we consume that contain the stuff.

Question: if they find that this causes smaller penises then they must have found chemicals that make penises bigger?

5. B_jasmin

B_jasmin New Member

thats funny

next time say all mommys to their sons...

son! your dick is sponsored by ellen betrix cosmetics ltd. :p

:9

6. jonb

Gold Member

Wait . . . Chemicals to make your unborn son's dick bigger? I didn't know Oedipus could be so complex.

7. Doctor_Ay

Doctor_Ay New Member

lol @ teh punny.

(growth hormones in meats perhaps would be a good starting point to look)

8. Knight

Knight New Member

So does that mean my mother stayed away from pthlates or that my dick should be bigger :p

It's an interesting bit of news. I think releasing details of what makes a penis bigger would be perpetuating the belief that bigger is better and that everyone should have a big penis. It probably is known by scientists somewhere but is kept secret because everyone would be on chemicals. It's not good to overdose on certain chemicals, like pthlates. We need balance. Then if you get lucky, you get a nice healthy penis.

9. db03

db03 Member

I think it would be easier to just make their eyes smaller. :p
    [post=316522]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

Ha ha, good idea but i dont think that would make any difference in the perception of size!!

10. joejack

joejack Active Member

Albums:
    The EU has banned phthalates in plastics because exposure results in underdeveloped and malformed genitals in male children. The US of course, because our government is owned by greedhead robber barons will not. The German chemical giant BASF manufactures phthalates for use in the US market but makes a nontoxic substitute for Europe. We are facing an impending penis gap. Europe is winning the big dick race. :eek: Read the article in THE NATION. That new car smell we all recognize is the smell of the plasticizer phthalates used to make the dashboard. Also used in shower curtains, shampoos, rubber duckies, and all kinds of other plastics.

11. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Not to mention those ubiquitous "bottled water" bottles.

Just have a quick look at the recycle symbol on many of plastic containers for your favorite beverages. If it says PET inside that little triangle, it's polyethylene terephthalate - and a possible source of phthalates.

12. whatireallywant

Gold Member

What does it take to get a work visa in Europe? :biggrin1:

13. playainda336

Gold Member

Albums:
    Doesn't that happen from drinking during pregnancy?

Draft saved Draft deleted