Cheney and "W" working the crowds again, blaming and revising

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse, Mar 17, 2009.

1. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Dick Cheney sat down with CNN's John King Sunday morning for his first television interview since leaving office. Cheney told King that the Iraq invasion was "worth doing" and that the U.S. has succeeded with its goals.

Cheney: “We have succeeded in creating, in the heart of the Middle East, a democratically governed Iraq. And that’s a big deal. And that is, in fact, what we set out to do.”

“We got rid of one of the worst dictators in the 20th century. We got rid of his government. There’s no prospect that Iraq is going to become a place where once again they produce weapons of mass destruction, or support terrorists."

KING: Since taking office, President Obama has done these things to change the policies you helped put in place. He has announced he will close the Guantanamo Bay detention facility. He has announced he will close CIA black sites around the world, where they interrogate terror suspects. Says he will make CIA interrogators abide by the Army Field Manual, defined waterboarding as torture and ban it, suspend trials for terrorists by military commission, and now eliminate the label of enemy combatants. I'd like to just simply ask you, yes or no, by taking those steps, do you believe the president of the United States has made Americans less safe?

CHENEY: I do. I think those programs were absolutely essential to the success we enjoyed of being able to collect the intelligence that let us defeat all further attempts to launch attacks against the United States since 9/11. I think that's a great success story. It was done legally. It was done in accordance with our constitutional practices and principles. President Obama campaigned against it all across the country. And now he is making some choices that, in my mind, will, in fact, raise the risk to the American people of another attack.

On Obama: "I think there’s no question but what the economic circumstances that he inherited are difficult ones. We said that before we left. I don’t think you can blame the Bush administration for the creation of those circumstances. It’s a global financial problem."

--------------------

Bush in Canada today...

The Canadian Press

CALGARY - George W. Bush is in Canada today to make a public appearance for one of the first times since leaving office with a dismal approval rating and the lion's share of the blame for his country's collapsing economy. Bush is slated to speak before a private business audience of 1,500 in part invited by the Calgary Chamber of Commerce.

The event's invitations say he'll touch on his eight years in office and challenges currently facing the world.

Protesters promise to be outside the lunchtime event with piles of shoes to toss at pictures of the former president.

They say he should be arrested as a war criminal over allegations of torture at military prisons in Iraq and Guantanamo Bay.

#1 D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  2. javyn

javyn New Member

Albums:
    Bush II and Cheney opening their mouths are just two more nails in the coffin of the Republican Party. Then again, these NeoCon traitors never cared about the principles of the Republican party until now, why should they start?

3. houtx48

Gold Member

didnt the republicans always say anytime you said anything negative about the government or the administration that you were unamerican traitor terrorist?

4. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    The fact that Bush and Cheney would even begin efforts at historical revisionism and personal rehabilitation this soon after leaving office smacks of both their individual desperation and an attempt at Republican subterfuge with respect to Obama's efforts to address the egregious costs of their mistakes.

5. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Is there anyone in this world that trumps Cheney on your 'hate' list?:tongue:

6. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Nick8: It does seem Cheney has aggressive control issues (controlling the Bush/Cheney administration revisionism & narrative). I mean, look at the lengths he went to in order to control the narrative when Joe Wilson wrote his op-ed column for The New York Times, "What I Didn't Find in Africa".

Cheney definately wants to write the history books himself.

7. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    To talk about "revising" is a bit misleading. Cheney is just repeating the falsehoods that he and Bush maintained when they were in office. "We do not torture" is my favorite.

8. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

You've been known to work my last good nerve. :biggrin1:

9. houtx48

Gold Member

repeat and repeat lies until people think it's the truth, it's the republican way.

10. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Actually, that was a Nazi trick used by Hitler and his cronies.

If you can look past Willtom's rhetoric and cheering, Cheney is actually right.

Implementing a democratically-run government in the Middle East really is a big deal. A really, really big deal.

Really, Cheney has no chance at saying anything without being blasted by the likes of WillTom and nick8. They deteste the man.

But any rational human knows that it would be impossible for someone to be wrong 100% of the time, as the libtards suggest that Cheney was/is.

11. pym

pym New Member

#11 pym, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  12. pym

pym New Member

I do not even try to kid myself that Democracy in IRAQ exists. IT DOES'nt.
    A semblance of one that is ENFORCED by the American Military presence is all there is.
    I do not even know what to call that.......Occupational Democracy?
    When we leave that 'Burgeoning Democracy' then we will see just what sort of govt. actually exists there. My guess is that as soon as we leave there, it will be KOSOVO redux.......only this time the Sunni's will be slaughtered by the majority Shiites......who will then align themselves with IRAN. A Shiite State. I am absolutely sure i will live long enough to see that happen. Was'nt that why the WE the USA, backed the installation of SADDAM to begin with?

13. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Only a scared, paranoid person would actually believe that Cheney was right.

Just because the majority of Americans have moved on with their lives and decided not to live under the constant fear and threat of a terrorist attack doesn't mean that they are not concerned about it. Case in point, the majority of people who live in New York thinks Cheney needs to shut up. I guess with your reasoning, the people who live in that (or any) city that was attacked on 9/11 are irrational?

No terrorist is targeting you and your home, wherever that is. Grow a pair of balls and stop acting so shook. :rolleyes:

14. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

star writes: If you can look past Willtom's rhetoric and cheering, Cheney is actually right.

-------------------

No, I am being unfairly maligned! There is no "cheering" going on in my post. I was conscientious: I stuck to the facts and quoted the quotes. All very dry & professional & non-partisan. Not a hint of pom poms.

The only part that might possibly be construed as taking a side is where I highlighted the sentence in the canadian news item where protesters planned to take a pile of shoes and throw them at "W"'s picture. A very civilized protest. No bodies assaulted.

15. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

I find it difficult to disagree with anything in these statements.

16. houtx48

Gold Member

who cares what he has to say?

17. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Hey, star. Just heard Bobby Jindal on Hugh Hewitt's radio show. Jindal's decided to "take a stand" - on principle! - and is not taking the $4 billion in stimulus money allotted for Louisiana.

I guess this means that the 2012 campaign is starting early.

18. pym

pym New Member

Is he in a position{authoritatively} to decline that money on behalf of his state?
    What about the state representatives and congressmen?

19. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

pym, I don't have a clue. All states are strapped for cash. I'm sure the state legislators wil feel they have a say in declining 4 billion!

20. pym

pym New Member

I am sure John Stewart will be calling what is what on that issue with-in the next 2 days......should be interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted