Childhood memories: You Can't Do That On Television..

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by elegant20, Nov 26, 2011.

1. elegant20

Gold Member

You know when you are young that you don't understand half the jokes they say, but still be entertained? That's how I was. Man, this show takes me back to that old silly plastic TV set with the bad reception...in 1983.

And I really didn't realize it was a Canadian show at all. But I never forgot Les Lye, Moose, Lisa, Alasdair, Kevin Kubusheskie, etc. To think this was the first time Nick was introduced is pretty revoulionary in itself. Not to "I don't know" or "water"....funny. I always wanted to be on the show, but I frankly never realized it was a Canadian show. Shows how much I ddin't realize it.

2. B_rzl

B_rzl New Member

take the simpsons. the can be watched and laughed to on so many levels, as a cartoon, as a telenovela, as a serious sarcastic show that actuall makes fun of all the american society, you can see the british humour in it (language jokes)... so i watch them over and over again and always laugh to something new...
    and as a kid i also hated (non tv related) how grown ups can wash hands with soap bar all the time in them, and how they can eat cookies handsfree, moving them inside with lips... :)

3. ShannonH

Gold Member

Albums:
    Canadian here, and even I didn't know it was a Canadian show until I was much older.
    That show was fantastic; loved Barth's so much. I can't find a good torrent on it, but I'd love to go through some of the top-rated episodes now.

4. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I loved that show! And Mr. Wizard's World.

5. MickeyLee

Gold Member

Pete and Pete :biggrin:

6. willow78

Gold Member

Albums:
    "The Goodies" - not specifically a children's show, but was part of 'Children's TV' programming here in Australia when I was growing up.

7. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    When I was a child we didn't have a television at first. Then we got 1 and I always wondered how they made it work. I understood a radio and it getting signals but the television was just very different. I used to watch whenever I could and would wait for my parents to go out just so I could watch stuff.
    A lot of westerns back then and 1 which really intrigued me by its title

26 Men

26 Men Theme Song - YouTube

The shows with comedy and jokes didn't always work with me because they made no sense and then there was the really bad laugh track they'd play.

Reception was bad as well. We hooked the antenna to a wire to a series of coat hangers and then had to stay perfectly still because if you moved around it could interfere with the signal. Finally we left Idaho and headed to Penna where the signal was a little most of the time.

It was a peaceful time usuallly when we weren't being scared the Russians were going to blow us up or that some alien spaceship would come and take us all away.

8. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    Mahalia Jackson, BIG woman, flowing gown, singing these beautiful black gospel hymns @ 5 to 6, every evening, i used to rush in to watch her.. bl n white set....lucky we only had one Chanell them days..

9. BiItalianBro

Gold Member

10. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    Being worried that Sputnik was really a nuclear weapon and that soon we'd all be dead.

Looking forward to the start of the school year because it meant a couple of new shirts that weren't hand me downs.

Waiting for the latest comic book to come out.

Going in and exploring houses which were being built.....we did this on weekends when the work was stopped.

Lining up empty trash cans in the center of a railroad trestle bridge and seeing the train come through and send them all over the place. *I know looking back that this could have turned very deadly.

First day in Pittsburgh wondering why the air was so thick.

A few months after arriving in Pittsburgh standing in waist deep water with my father and brother in downtown as the rivers flooded.

Being stuck on the Mon incline in a snowstorm.

Being expelled from high school and being readmitted the following day.

Seeing my first major league baseball game.....the Pirates won!

Trying to see how far a transistor radio could slide across a freshly waxed floor. The real challenge was to do this plenty of times but not break the radio.

Lots of other memories from growing up, too many to mention in 1 or 2 or even 3 or 4 posts. I might add more later, maybe movies and music.

Draft saved Draft deleted