China - some truth, not misinformation.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Drifterwood, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Drifterwood

Gold Member

BBC NEWS | Business | World poverty 'more widespread'

"China has been most successful in reducing poverty, with the numbers falling by more than 600 million, from 835 million in 1981 to 207 million in 2005.

The poverty rate in China has plummeted from 85% to 15.9%, with the biggest part of that drop coming in the past 15 years, when China opened up to Western investment and its coastal regions boomed.

In fact, in absolute terms, China accounts for nearly all the world's reduction in poverty. In percentage terms, world poverty excluding China fell from 40% to 30% over the past 25 years."

I think that those who have seen poverty face to face will not belittle this remarkable achievement.

#1 Drifterwood, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    I doubt the figures are as wholesome as they appears I heard the average income in China is like 3600 dollars a year. Hardly out of the poverty levels as one might think.

#2 Deno, Aug 27, 2008
  3. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Well - that somewhat depends on the average cost of living in China, doesn't it...

I don't know the figures myself but I rather suspect the equivalent of $3600 p.a. buys you a hell of a lot more in most of China than it does anywhere in the US. I am, of course, open to correction on that.

4. fgeorgio

fgeorgio Member

Albums:
    Like in most communist states,arent the statistics provided by the goverment?Therefore,how accurate they can be considered is a matter of debate...I have never been to China,but i think with the exception of Peking,Hong Kong,Sanghai and Tsingtao(the large coastal cities,open to trade) the rest of the country lives just like they did at the time of the cultural revolution...

5. camper joe

Gold Member

If the government of China will lie to get a gold medal, why not lie about this? :confused:

6. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah, reducing poverty justifies cultural genocide, right?

Oh wait, you're that guy with the double-standard where China is practically infallible, but you hate the United States.

Tell me again how the Dalai Lama is an American terrorist, paw.

#6 Guy-jin, Aug 27, 2008
  7. fgeorgio

fgeorgio Member

Albums:
    I cant tell about the one who posted,but some people in Europe,who are communists but from countries that never had a communist regime(Greece,Italy,UK,France,etc) belive that present and former communist states were unmistakeable and they did the best for their countries...The rest is western lies(I was once informed by an Italian communist that the Ukrainian genocide of 1932-33 that claimed 8million lives was a lie by Ukrainian anti-communists and a Greek communist informed me that the Soviets didnt murder 15.000 Polish officers at Katyn)

8. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

fgeorgio - you are in danger of disappearing up your own jacksey.

The Communists are not out to get you - BUT I will tell you secret. :shhh: It isn't just Europre, there are American Communists too!!! :eek::eek::eek:

:yikes::yikes: LOOK OUT!! THEY'RE BEHIND YOU!!! :yikes::yikes:​

9. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah, there are a lot of Americans standing behind him over there in Greece.

Oops? :tongue:

10. fgeorgio

fgeorgio Member

Albums:
    Jacksey??? Anyway,what i meant is i accept to be told how great communism is by someone who grew up in,let's say Bulgaria or East Germany and was indoctrinated that way,over some guy who grew up with all the comforts and freedoms of a Western European or North American country and is simply too fanatic to see the grave crimes his comrades did...I didnt claim there was or is a widespread communist conspiracy(but for all i know,there might be)

11. Drifterwood

Gold Member

If you read the article from that well known communist organisation, the BBC, you will see that the stats come from that equally revered communist organisation, the World Bank.

Like many things to do with China, it is hard for others to comprehend the numbers. 600,000,000, that is the entire combined populations of the US and Europe, relieved from the human disaster of poverty. If you are hung up about terms like communist, you should take comfort from the fact that it was not through communism that China has achieved this.

I have been trying to think if any of our governments can claim to have achieved anything of this scale for its people in the last generation, and I can not.

12. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

:rolleyes:

Haha!! Lolz @ me :booty:

13. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Er.... well... actually...

Oh, no - wait! The BBC is MI5 not the Commies... sorry - do carry on :smile:

14. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Europe + America = >1,000,000,000 people.

Europe alone has more than 600,000,000 people.

But please, keep educating us.

15. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Oh bullshit! ...there would never be that many survivors!! :rolleyes:

(I think he means the EU - just under 500,000,000)

16. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Maybe what he meant was:

"600,000,000, that is the entire combined populations of COMMUNISTS!!!! in the US and Europe"

17. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I fucking told you!!! :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

18. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

The Chinese achievement, economically, is unique in world history.
    And the human rights situation is improving, albeit slowly.
    I think anyone giving credit where credit's due would have to acknowledge these things.

19. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think that those who have seen poverty face to face will not belittle this remarkable achievement.

Having spent some time in China in 1979 with my relatives
    All of them were Peasants working Rice Paddys apart from one Nephew who was a Sports Teacher..Great Job' by there standards at the time.
    Having brought them all to NZ within 5 years where they ended up being succesful Business persons
    Seeing them HAPPILY return there now.. a few of them investing $ back into the Country including the rebuilding of there former Homes etc .. is heartening
    I would say the report is very accurate
    Despite all the BAD' that happens and no doubt will continue .. to me it is not much worse .. that happens in MANY other well DEVELOPED Countries in the World ..
    that have never had all the Drama,s of the Japanese invasion immeaditaley followed by Mao's tyrannical era.
    Keep in mind when it came to Hong Kong being handed back to China Control...virtually the Whole World was shitting themselves expecting the WORST to happen...has it'
    In saying the above i fear that Power will eventually get to the China leaders..Taiwan...even Japan..Beware'
    .who knows..just not worth speculating.
    enz

fgeorgio
    the rest of the country lives just like they did at the time of the cultural revolution...

I imagine the many villages within the inner depths of the country ..yes'
    The village i spent time in..so close to the New Airport etc (12km out of Kwangchow) has been improved?? (as of 10 years ago)ie a Built up area now.. not unlike any Suburb in a Western Country
    I am told if i went back now i could not readily locate my Fathers Home.

The US Govt NEVER tells a lie'

20. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    While your story is a good one, rbkwp, I'm afraid there are plenty of not so good stories from China as well. For example, the many farmers who were "relocated" to cities in the interest of constructing Three Gorges Dam. Those people were farmers... what profession are they meant to do in the city? It's a major problem. And of course, most people in China and out of it don't even know it's happened because there's no freedom of press there.

Fair assessment is worth-while. We must see countries for both the good and the bad they're doing. That's why I find Drifterwood so hypocritical in general.

Draft saved Draft deleted