Chinese pollution detectable in Marin County, Calif.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by faceking, Apr 25, 2007.

1. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Funny given the scorn 'round these parts that soccer moms get over their SUVs.

"
    Can you see the mayors of Sausalito and Berkeley leading a protest march on the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco? "

American Thinker Blog: Chinese pollution detectable in Marin County, Calif.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimates that on certain days nearly 25 percent of the particulate matter in the skies above Los Angeles can be traced to China. Some experts predict China could one day account for a third of all California's air pollution.

2. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, isn't it wonderfull that the west is being blamed for the world's
    pollution problems. And we're getting this Kyoto protocol rammed down
    our friggin throats, while China and Russia are exempt because they
    are considered developing economies. And today they announce on the
    news that China has just become the biggest producer of Greenhouse
    gases.

:confused:

3. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

If we move all our heavy manufacturing to China, we shouldn't be surprised that she is causing the most pollution. It is rather shallow praise for us to pat ourselves on the back for creating less pollution (in Europe at any rate) and then to criticize China.

You should be glad that you don't have to live in her industrial areas. I have just returned from there and it is disgusting - they will have major health problems coming. But hey we all love those cheap products we have to consume.

4. B_spiker067

B_spiker067 New Member

There you go. Would I rather worry about global warming or worry about Chinese pollution over LA? Well the globe may be warming (I'm not a global warming denier I just don't know the cause of it as of yet) but actual pollution over LA or the butchering of 100 million sharks only for their fins are far more urgent issues for today.

I think we need to go to war. A technological war. We need to conquer fusion and not fear fission in the short term. We also need to take solar to the 60% efficiency levels. Nano solar is also very intriguing.

5. B_spiker067

B_spiker067 New Member

You're funny to think that the pollution is our fault. If they had an Environmental Protection Agency that actually enforced laws they wouldn't have benzene rivers flowing thru their cities. No, no, yeah, the little yellow man can't keep his own house clean because some white Brit won't let him. Give me a break. That is a racist sentiment.

6. earllogjam

Gold Member

spiker067 - Your term "little yellow man" is offensive and uncalled for.

All industrialized "first" world countries have had atrocious histories of pollution worse than that of China and India today, like England during the industrial revolution. Who are we to say that developing countries have no right to pollute the world when we have all done the same thing if not worse? Pollution is a direct product of economic development and raising the standard of living of a country - basically it is cheaper to pollute the environment than to pay for emissions controls, enviromental protection, limits on big industry, water treatment facilities, emmissions control.

Pollution control takes time and capital - How much money does it cost to run a bureaucracy like the EPA and enforce its policies? Look how long America took to clean up places like Love Canal, 3 mile Island, banning asbestos, switching to unleaded gasoline, reducing acid rain falling on Canada (not sure if this is still happening), catalytic converters on cars- all have a huge cost. Look at the pollution atrocities in post war Japan just 50 years ago everything from mercury dumping in the water and untreated sewage pouring into lakes and streams - now they are one of the cleanest, resource efficient countries in the world. All polluting countries realize that in the long run pollution is not sustainable for their population's well being and seek to remediate it when it is economically feasible and possible one step at a time. You're an idiot to think that China and India don't realize that pollution is bad. Bringing the standard of living of 1/3 of one of the world's poorest population (China and India) to US levels without having a pollution problem is impossible.

This global warming issue has underscored that we are one planet and that the health of one country rests on the health of another. America should give pollution remediating technologies- like waste recycling, solar cell, oil refining emission controls, vehicle emission controls, sewage treatment, industrial waste managment, to developing countries free of charge because now with global warming it's in our best interest to have a pollution free China and developing world. We have nothing to loose by giving that kind of technology to the developing world. Case in point - cell phones have reduced the amount of resources needed and pollution produced for a developing country's telecommunication needs, no more land lines, copper cables, telephone poles, clearing forests for lines, cabling underground...etc. It is a technology created in the west that is helping reduce pollution in develping counties and it can be only the tip of the iceberg.

7. B_spiker067

B_spiker067 New Member

I have any number of points in your reply that I would care to tackle. But I'll concentrate on the most important. Why is it a hallmark of many LPSG posters to make very long posts. Okay, yours is only starting to be too long. This might be your first lenghty post (I wouldn't know at this time) but you couldn't possibly expect me to go line item by line item and agree or veto, could you?:confused:

P.S. Thanks for trying to Imus me there at the top.

8. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

FYI Spike, I spend a couple of months a year in the lands of the little yellow men - so I think you should graciously accept that I know a lot more about the situation there than you do. Not least that they are beginning to tackle environmental issues seriously - last year they gave serious budgets for the first time for environmental programmes. If your country gave them access to less polluting forms of fuel, it would also help - these are macro political issues best understood when you are sober in the morning for a while :wink:

China is the industrial manufacturing global giant - they are going to produce pollution, however their 1.5 billion population creates less pollution and waste than your country.

9. B_spiker067

B_spiker067 New Member

I will graciously grant that you know far more about China than I do (you lucky bastard :)

Why do we have to give them anything; environmental technology, cleaner burning fuel, or whatever else you can conjure up?

Last I heard we are running an enormous trade deficit with them. They have a Trillion $ in cash reserves (or is that $200 B), they finance our war in Iraq last I heard, why the fuck can't they buy these things from us?

As far as cost goes in setting up an environmental protection infrastructure... Last idea I had on that was that if I was the benevolent dictator of a third wold country I'd take American regulations en masse tranlate them to my native language and declare them law at a great cost savings. And then go back and undo any evident conflicts with my own circumstances.

Poorly stated is the above but I'm in danger of posting too long a post. But I have to say LordP by and large you're pretty cool.:wink:

Hic, hic, buuuurrrp.... snzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....kjal;skjdfowieksjadf

Draft saved Draft deleted