1. douchenbaggin

douchenbaggin New Member

I hit the gym pretty regularly, I run, hit the bench presses, numerous ab machines, free weights, yada yada. [mainly upper body work outs]

Ive always had decently defined abs since I can remember from swimming and such, but what I was wondering is would running more say like 2-4 miles a day increase the definition in my abs? Giving me more of that chisled look?

2. kjguy

kjguy Well-Known Member

Albums:
    hmm... it would probably help. But only if your doing core exercises and eating decent too. For the best results, we have to do it all. I dont' do it all all the time either but I don't think simply running will be enough.

3. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

You have to do cardio, watch your diet and crunches, lots of crunches

4. Bongo7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Also, make sure to do more legs. The legs when worked hard burn more calories than anything. Make sure you are doing sets of 20 at moderate exertion. It will really help to keep you lean.

5. douchenbaggin

douchenbaggin New Member

Sweet, thanks guys.

Forgot to account for that fact I do eat pretty healthy and also would still be doing the same exercises just not as much running. Basically just increasing how much I run and when.

6. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    What turned my four-pack into a six-pack was doing leg raises.

7. Stephenmass

Gold Member

Albums:
    ML,

That worked for me too when I had a "4 pack". Those damn last two at the bottom were a bitch to get them to show. Cardio yes, diet yes, but you have to exercise the lower portion. Abdomen is actually one large muscle, it's defining it that sux.

8. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I envy all you guys for having a six pack. It's the one thing that still eludes me after many years at the gym. One of these days, dammit!!!! :biggrin:

9. RealityCheck

RealityCheck New Member

first change your eating habits, then start cardio. It's 60% food, 30% cardio and only 10% crunches. The only way to get and maintain your sixpack.

10. douchenbaggin

douchenbaggin New Member

Wow, no joke leg lifts can define that?

I always kind of snuffed at leg workouts because my calves are pretty big from skateboarding and other activities.

I guess ill start hitting the leg machines then damn. Any specific machines and any certain reps for me just starting out?

11. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    Leg raises: lie on a mat on your back, arms by your side or splayed out a bit for balance. With your feet touching eachother and keeping the legs straight, raise both legs up to more than 45 degrees but less than 90 degrees, then slowly lower them to an inch off the floor, but don't touch the floor or rest them between raises. Three sets of 10 reps to start. Increase the reps as it gets easier over time.

#11 MarkLondon, Sep 25, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  12. diesel418

diesel418 Active Member

Albums:
    Well you guys might have defined abs-but I can bench press 500lbs! I hate all you lean six pack guys! J/K... I am seriously jealous though. Variety plays a big role in seeing physical gains. I am a serious weight lifter. I hit the gym 5-6 times per week, I am an ex national champ/ All-American Powerlifter-I know my way around the weight room... I've switched my routines up and am concentrating more on cardio and kettlebell training. Not sure if anybody's tried it, but it's super-hardcore! My body fat has significantly decreased and I've packed on about 25lbs of lean muscle in about 10 weeks.

13. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
  14. douchenbaggin

douchenbaggin New Member

Thanks Mark, thats what I was assuming, I remember that routine from the gym in high school. Turns out it wasnt such a joke after all :p.

My main reason for working out really is to stay in shape as I have asthma and also stay cut and lean. Not necessarily looking for the 'power' look per se, but it would be nice lol.
    Like mark said I also dont have that body style for that, although im a pretty big guy for my size I guess.

Some kid in high school accused me of using steroids because my upper body was so much bigger :p, for being such a little punk kid who started things he would never run his mouth to me lol

15. D_CountdeGrandePinja

D_CountdeGrandePinja Account Disabled

alot of yard work helps out too. A good stress reliever, too; that is besides the obvious!!!

16. Hockeytiger

Hockeytiger Active Member

1) Low body fat is most important. It doesn't matter how hard you work your abs if they are covered by even a relatively thin layer of fat. This is also the most difficult part. Many people simply don't have the body type to get down to the body fat % level necessary without completely overhauling their lifestyle. Generally, you need to be below 10% for good definition and that ain't all that easy if you don't have the body type.

2) As such, cardio and diet are most important to get body fat % down.

3) Here are some exercises to work on those abs;
    Saxon Bends-Good to stretch your abs
    Hanging Leg Raises-Good for those lower abs (but it is a bitch to do)
    V-sit ups on wall-nice and uncomplicated, but be sure that only your heels are touching the wall and legs are straight
    Hanging Knee Tucks-great for abs, biceps, and shoulders but is VERY difficult, but if you can do a full rep of 20 you will be the envy of the gym.
    Alternate knee cross-ups-nice for when you want some variation, but can be tough on the back.
    Hanging alternate twisting knee tucks-only do these if you have a good strong grip.
    Leg swings-great for those lower abs and gives your arms a rest if you've been doing some hanging exercises

4) Don't get too narcissistic about it. If you just want to show off your abs, then I'd suggest not turning your life upside down for it. It isn't worth it. I've known people who went on near starvation diets and spent hours and hours at the gym just trying to get better abs. As I said, it isn't worth all that.

Draft saved Draft deleted