Chocolate and bacon

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
While going about the internet this morning I came across a listing for something which I've never had-chocolate covered bacon!

Has anyone here eaten this, and what was your feeling about it?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
While going about the internet this morning I came across a listing for something which I've never had-chocolate covered bacon!

Has anyone here eaten this, and what was your feeling about it?

Never heard of it. It sounds bizarre, yet at the same time could be the perfect combination of salt and sweet. I may not be the best judge of culinary greatness as I still love bacon and jelly sandwiches.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Well smother me chocolate and call me breakfast! :eek::wink:

Bitter dark chocolate can be great with meat - various meats - especialy when chilli is involved too. (e.g. La Pagina De La Salsa Mole: What is "Mole?")

As for this chocolate covered bacon thing I see when I google bacon and chocolate, I can't see it being too good - not with sweet milk chocolate.

bacon and jelly sandwiches.

:eek: You done made me hungry!! :rolleyes:

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Never heard of it. It sounds bizarre, yet at the same time could be the perfect combination of salt and sweet. I may not be the best judge of culinary greatness as I still love bacon and jelly sandwiches.
Interesting-I'll need to try that. So far I've only applied the bacon onto the peanut butter sandwich.

Bitter dark chocolate can be great with meat - various meats - especialy when chilli is involved too. (e.g. La Pagina De La Salsa Mole: What is "Mole?")

As for this chocolate covered bacon thing I see when I google bacon and chocolate, I can't see it being too good - not with sweet milk chocolate.

Hello breakfast!

I had figured a dark chocolate would be a more suitable choice for marriage with the bacon.

If you've never had it, do! Better still, try a bunch of them at different Mexican places. I've never had the sauce the same way at different places. Each time it's new and, usually, excellent. There is nothing like it in western or eastern cuisine.

Mole poblano has a strong chocolate flavor which does wonders for pork and chicken, and is amazing on turkey. It's the national sauce of Mexico and every house seems to have its own variation on it. Mexico has given many wonderful ingredients and dishes to the pantheon of world cuisine, but mole is likely the finest.

If you've never had it, treat yourself. It's delicious.

It has an interesting history too. The legend is that Emperor Maximilian was traveling through the state of Puebla when he came to an abbey for the night. The abbey's caretaker was sent to get a cart of fish from the market for the emperor and his entourage, but going up the hill, the cart overturned and dumped the fish. The caretaker returned empty-handed and there was no time to go back to town. The nuns had to make do with what they had. They slaughtered some fowl and started right away to make sauces for it with whatever they had lying around the kitchen. The result was mole poblano. So impressed was the emperor with this wonderful and unique dish, that he had the nuns give him the recipe and it became a regular dish served at court and, eventually, the national dish of Mexico.

Last edited by a moderator:

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I saw Michael Symon make it on Dinner:Impossible the other night. He dusted it with chopped nuts before it cooled completely. Looked intriguing.
I almost watched that show too. I was browsing through to see what was next on Food Network and thought about it. Not sure why I didn't. I knew Symon was going to be on it, and I had enjoyed his work when they had The Iron Chef thing last year.

Chopped nuts, huh? You had to mention CHOPPED NUTS on this site? That's cruel Clyde. (seriously though, appreciate the tip and now, typing in Symon, chocolate bacon is giving me several hits.)

More on Chef Symon: TV : Michael Symon : Bio: Michael Symon : Food Network
and his restaurants: Michael Symon: Lola and Lolita

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Interesting-I'll need to try that. So far I've only applied the bacon onto the peanut butter sandwich.
No, that's too salty! :yuck: You have to use grape jelly, not jam, on toasted white bread with butter.
I had figured a dark chocolate would be a more suitable choice for marriage with the bacon.
Hmm, I was thinking white chocolate actually. Imagine dipping crispy bacon into a white chocolate fondue. :smile: YUMMY!

No, no, no. Not Canadian bacon, I meant the American style of strip bacon. Everyone knows Canadian bacon goes better on a Mountie.
:rofl:
IMO, Canadian bacon is really only good for fast food breakfast sandwiches.

It may be the only way to make bacon a bit more healthy.
What!? :eek: Bacon isn't healthy? :confused: But pork is the other white meat. :biggrin1:

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
I was in Scotland a while ago and they sold Mars bars in batter in the chippy .

My fave at the moment though is strong cheese and banana on brown bread with butter on.

Regarding bacon, i only have bacon on toasted current teacakes,sweet and savoury yummy :veryhappy:

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No, that's too salty! :yuck: You have to use grape jelly, not jam, on toasted white bread with butter.
Oh, I can't digest grape jelly. It leads back to horrific memories of the Platterers and their tune The Grape Pretender, a sad song about a plum destined to be a prune, although she wished to be a raisin (one could say that would have been raisin for living)
Hmm, I was thinking white chocolate actually. Imagine dipping crispy bacon into a white chocolate fondue. :smile: YUMMY!
Sounds good-let me go to the cupboard and get out my fondue pot. Oh silly me, it's here on the nightstand:redface:.
:rofl:IMO, Canadian bacon is really only good for fast food breakfast sandwiches.
and off of Royal Canadian Mounted Police-at least the good looking ones.

It may be the only way to make bacon a bit more healthy.

What!? :eek: Bacon isn't healthy? :confused: But pork is the other white meat. :biggrin1:
Yeah, that one surprised me as well. I could have sworn my doctor told me a pound of bacon weekly would lead to healthier heart.

Mole poblano has a strong chocolate flavor which does wonders for pork and chicken, and is amazing on turkey. It's the national sauce of Mexico and every house seems to have its own variation on it. Mexico has given many wonderful ingredients and dishes to the pantheon of world cuisine, but mole is likely the finest.

If you've never had it, treat yourself. It's delicious.

It has an interesting history too. The legend is that Emperor Maximilian was traveling through the state of Puebla when he came to an abbey for the night. The abbey's caretaker was sent to get a cart of fish from the market for the emperor and his entourage, but going up the hill, the cart overturned and dumped the fish. The caretaker returned empty-handed and there was no time to go back to town. The nuns had to make do with what they had. They slaughtered some fowl and started right away to make sauces for it with whatever they had lying around the kitchen. The result was mole poblano. So impressed was the emperor with this wonderful and unique dish, that he had the nuns give him the recipe and it became a regular dish served at court and, eventually, the national dish of Mexico.
I may have to put Mexico on my travel map.

In the words of our hero Homer Simpson: "Mmm...chocolate" and "Mmm...bacon" Clearly he is wise man.

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

:eek: Cannibal :eek: