Cholesterol: Anyone brought theirs down w/o meds?

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Yes by getting back into daily cardio after letting it slide for a couple years. Did not change my diet which was already pretty clean.

My overall cholesterol dropped some but the most important thing was increasing HDL and lowering LDL & triglycerides.

Reactions: Don Logan

Don Logan

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
the most important thing was increasing HDL and lowering LDL & triglycerides.
I'm still so new to this game that I still need to look into upping HDL. In an emergency move, I've cut out all animal products--meat and dairy.

Reactions: WilliamG

Woofwoofmeow

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm still so new to this game that I still need to look into upping HDL. In an emergency move, I've cut out all animal products--meat and dairy.
I would ask what are your risk factors, incllude family history. Also, hyperlipidemia or high cholesterol can be genetic.

A healthy diet in moderation and exercise will help you immensely! I wouldn’t go rogue and eliminate all animal products. There are good lean proteins that you need because they supply essential amino acids you won’t get in veges! Eliminate the junk food and the cookies, cakes, and pies. Eliminate the drive through windows!

do more research and be informed. Don’t be hard on yourself. You can be healthy in moderation. I hope this helps you some. I’d be happy to talk further!!

You can do it and not be extreme.

Woofwoofmeow

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Red yeast rice. Over the counter at most any grocery store. I’ve taken that and it helps reduce bad cholesterol. Plus lots of cardio and cutting back on red meat.
one more thing, look into the Mediterran (?) diet! It’s healthy and rich in good foods. The people of Ikaria, Greece are (supposedly) some of the healthiest people in the world due to their diet which is base on his. I think that would be something very good that you would enjoy.

Check it out! Diane Kochiles has information on this as well.

palakaorion

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Also, hyperlipidemia or high cholesterol can be genetic.
Yup. All my half-brothers on my mother's side (and me) are Team Crestor. My physician said I couldn't possibly eat poorly enough to explain my wretched cholesterol numbers pre-meds. With meds I'm within normal ranges, though my HDL/LDL ratio could improve; I'm working on that.

Don Logan

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
All good advice, thanks to everyone. I've got a big, untouched bottle of statins sitting in my medicine cabinet. It's my incentive to bring down my numbers naturally. If I can't do it naturally, I'll have to resort to the meds.

Reactions: Curious65

Woofwoofmeow

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Not sure if you're considering vitamins medicine, but I brought mine down quite a bit with krill oil.

I agree with you! that supplement is very good. You just have to find something that doesn’t give you “fish burps”. Not a very pleasant taste!

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
64 here. Two years ago my LDL was a bit high. And my HDL was low. I did the usual things "diet" and exercise (this is all subjective I know). Was a vegetarian for 30 years who included eggs, fish, and dairy (nothing with legs or wings...). But I was not avoiding processed foods as much as I should. Had some weird heart palpatations that sent me to the ER. Scheduled an angiogram. Found a 30% blockage entering the heart. Not enough to warrant a stent. But enough to scare me. The palpatations it seems were stress related to my job.

So I went total vegan (also decided to retire early)... Started reading about and following Doctor Esselstyn. Learned how to really cook. Bought an Instant Pot, Nutri-bullet, and started using my food processor. Now I have not been perfect (little or no oil is tough). But as best as I can I've been eating clean (mostly organic) unprocessed non animal home cooked food. After 6 months my numbers were perfect. I also lost about 25lbs.

My cardiologist was impressed. He still doesn't believe it's the reduction of all oils (he's Lebanese so he'd have a tough time). My blood pressure came down too. I'm still at stage 1 hypertension (bad genetics) so I take a pill to keep me in proper range.

Everyone is different. I know the whole Keto thing is raging... But this is what I did. Hope this helps you!

Edit: There's surprising evidence that just 4 Brazil nuts once a month can lower your cholesterol Here.
I've been doing this as well. BTW, Nutritionfacts.org is a wealth of great information that's been vetted.

Last edited:

Don Logan

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I agree with you! that supplement is very good. You just have to find something that doesn’t give you “fish burps”. Not a very pleasant taste!
Interesting. Never heard of the stuff before this. So are you saying that krill oil does or does not give you those fish burps?

Markyoung873

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Cholesterol...yeah, exciting topic. Gets way more interesting when you realize you're on the road to a stroke. Anyone here brought down their cholesterol substantially without meds? What did you do?
got hereditary high cholesterol, had a stoke age 36.. i wasn’t overweight and didn’t smoke…..they said I was going to have a life time on statins, I said fuck that.

Plenty of fresh greens, water, reduce saturated fats, so more vegetable oil etc. less red meat, cut salt and sugar as much as you can more fish, chicken more cardio and weight sets that get your heart pumping.

I’ve limited myself to one bacon sandwich a week but I still drink lager like my life depends on it.

PM me if you wanna chat.

Woofwoofmeow

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Interesting. Never heard of the stuff before this. So are you saying that krill oil does or does not give you those fish burps?

Fish burps aren’t a bad thing as far as something being wrong they can just be unpleasant but I’m just saying in general that a lot of those supplements that provide fish oil or similar are not made well and can be very unpleasant after they are ingested.

WillieWarts

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I don't get fish burps from Krill Oil. That's why I take it instead of fish oil. It seriously worked wonders.

Don Logan

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I don't get fish burps from Krill Oil. That's why I take it instead of fish oil. It seriously worked wonders.
Yeah. In the ten seconds of research I did, it looks to be made out of plankton or something like that and highly processed. So it seemed less likely to have that stinky fish smell. I'll have to check it out.