Choosing the role of "roadside distraction"

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Kevbo, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Kevbo

Kevbo Member

I live in Florida and we have year-round distractions here:

weekend charity car-washes

By which I mean a local organization runs a somewhat ad hoc car-wash in a parking lot somewhere and uses the proceeds to benefit their charity.

The "distraction" part comes when the charity has anything to do with adolescents, such as funding the local high school's band trip to a competition somewhere. Because, invariably, young (usually underage) women in bikinis will be out by the side of the road, waving signs and jumping up and down.

The slowdown effect on traffic is measurable, especially compared to a car-wash not involving young women, such as for the Cub Scouts. What I'm wondering from the women here is...

...how do you feel about underage women playing this particular role? I am guessing that it is almost entirely self-selecting; they show up that day in their bathing suits and volunteer to flag down potential customers rather than actually wash cars. (I haven't participated in one of these in many years so I'm mostly guessing.) I am speaking mostly of teenage girls, older than tweens but not yet out of high school.

I suppose that there is some newfound vanity at work here ("I've got boobs now and want to show them off"?) but I worry that the young women are essentially objectifying and pigeonholing themselves, especially if they avoid an essentially easy task (washing a car with a dozen other people helping) for an even easier one (stand by the side of the road with a sign and act animated).

Oddly enough, many of these car-washes are church-related and the same phenomenon holds if young women are involved. You'd think that there would be a stricter dress code (one-piece bathing suits for women?) and not so much "advertising" by the side of the road, but no.

Thoughts?

Kevbo

2. D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat Account Disabled

What's the problem? They're doing a good job! Sex sells and they're learning it at a young age.

Kidding. I think it's disgusting and gives women a bad rep for playing the old "you can look but you can't touch" game.

3. YoungHungMachine

Looking in from the 'window' on this situation yes its a very bad thing. I vetoed this actually happening at my church, though after graduating high school ( I was 18 mind you and knew most the girls at the carwash), I stopped for the high school's wash. Granted most of the girls were 16-18, and I did much enjoy the viewing, and they knew it... I did not touch or make a pass; though as a young male of course it crossed my mind.

I think the above poster is correct, sex sells. They wear barely more clothing to school half the time anyways, they watch mtv, they've learned this at a young age- its not going to change, besides they were able to to get that bus paid for to travel to the competition now werent they!

4. dolfette

Gold Member

i wouldn't let my daughter do it.

5. whatireallywant

Gold Member

If they were over 18 there would be no problem - they can do what they want.

The problem here is with them being underage. Although, in a way, I can still see it, because when you do car washes you get wet, so it makes sense to wear a swimsuit. And if what you wear for a swimsuit is a bikini, well, why not?... But on the other hand, it is treated like a "sex sells" kind of thing, which would be fine if the participants were not underage, but the age of the participants makes it more of a problem.

6. whatireallywant

Gold Member

And church groups sponsoring these events???!!! That definitely was NOT the case of the churches I went to growing up! Those churches had a hard enough time with women wearing one-piece swimsuits when they were actually going swimming! :eek:

I can't help but wonder if the churches sponsoring these are also doing the whole double-message thing that girls today are getting - dress in skimpy clothes and show off your body but ABSOLUTELY NO premarital sex! Sheesh! :rolleyes: Now, I'm not going to comment too much on this because of the underage factor, but I do think that a lot of people are brought up sexually repressed, especially in fundamentalist religions. And the double messages are a combination of repression and confusion! (I'm a fan, not underage mind you, of wearing skimpy clothes if you have the body for it AND having premarital sex! No double message there! :biggrin1:)

7. MickeyLee

Gold Member

average age of a runway model 14-17
    average age of female pop star 15-20
    average age street prostitutes begin hooking 14-17

americans likes to hypersexualize young women for profit. shaking not-nearly-legal ass on the side of the road, to raise money for the after school activities meant to teach young women self worth and independence.....it's like baseball and apple pie.

only more demeaning. :smile:

#7 MickeyLee, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  8. Patchos

Gold Member

I think the issue lies with the pigs who go there to ogle them.

9. sassy Lisa

sassy Lisa New Member

So you say that men who like to ogle are pigs and then I see in your profile that you provide plenty of eye candy for them to see. I take you like pigs then.

10. Patchos

Gold Member

I'm talking about ogling underage girls.

11. sassy Lisa

sassy Lisa New Member

I see, it is okay for a man to ogle adult females but they have to decide who is an adult and who isn't. Sorry that doesn't fly with me, I have seen plenty of teenage girls who look like they are in their twenties and My sons teacher who is twenty six looks like she is thirteen.

Truthfully the double standards of this thread are outrages. Why do you feel you must damn people for doing what comes naturally. Just because someone looks at anyone does not mean a damn thing, they are viewing beauty. The charity groups that wish to allow them to wear bikinis is their choice. Have you ever done one of these car washes, they are hot, you get wet and on a good day you are busy as hell. You rarely think about being sexy or being a tease to get someone interest, all your doing is trying to raise money so you can take a trip that usually cost two thousand dollars or more. Get over yourselves.:rolleyes:

12. Patchos

Gold Member

That's your opinion. I disagree.

13. sassy Lisa

sassy Lisa New Member

Why am I not suprised.:rolleyes:

14. Patchos

Gold Member

Then why bother arguing the point.

15. Ed69

Gold Member

Cuase knotted panties are fun to ogle!

16. sassy Lisa

sassy Lisa New Member

:eek:
    Wow I thought I was expressing my opinion didn't realize this was a debate.

17. Patchos

Gold Member

Save me jebus.

18. dolfette

Gold Member

i'm with patchos.

i see good looking lads, i think ''wow, he's a good looking lad.'' and then leave it at that, because he's young enough for me to have birthed and there's something very seedy about ogling teens.

i would have a low opinion of a 30+y/o man who slowed down to drool over teenagers.

19. Enid

Gold Member

Albums:
    My home is wherever reality seems elastic and the
    Wait a second, your signature line reads "It's just my opinion what's your problem???" -- so what exactly is wrong with the way Patchos expressed her opinion? She did so calmly and didn't tell you your opinion was wrong. And you had to use 2 eye rolly faces at her. If it's just her opinion, what is your problem?

To the OP -- I guess I'm somewhere in the middle on this issue. On the one hand it seems innocent enough and I usually wouldn't give it more than a passing thought. But on the other hand if we're discussing pronounced cases of older people ogling the underage girls then I find that a bit distasteful. All depends on context though.

#19 Enid, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  20. Kevbo

Kevbo Member

Thanks for the responses, everyone...

I want to second the notion that sometimes, it's very difficult to tell a young woman's age from a glance. In the last decade or so, it seems that the process has seriously accelerated from "What a cute, adorable, young lady" to "Is she legal (because she sure looks legal)?". I think the only rule-of-thumb that applies with the scenario I painted is that any women you see "advertising" for a car wash are almost certainly underage, simply due to what the charity is usually for -- high school organizations.

I think I'm going to start another thread because there is an obvious arbitrariness here :->.

Kevbo

#20 Kevbo, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted