Chris Benoit

classyron

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't know if anyone on here watches or ever watched wrestling, but I am just sickened by the news about Chris Benoit killing his wife and seven year-old son and then hanging himself. Not only did he choose to take two lives (one an innocent child) but as it turns out it may have been brought on by anabolic steroids. I know people who have met him and they said that he was a seriously down-to-earth, sincere guy. Industry people are shocked because he was such a dedicated family man. He and his wife had some issues a few years back, which now also appear to have been steroid related. Jesus, when are people going to wise-up and stop with all the fucking drugs? It is ruining and ending the lives of too many good people and taking them away from the world.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
Strange you should post this now, I was just browsing Youtube and caught a tribute video to him... a quick google revealed he had infact passed away, but I couldn't find any details confirming how it happened.

A link would be appreciated (I did follow wrestling when I was much younger)

B_ironsoul

Experimental Member
Media
After a while, drugs like this really seriously effect reasoning and brain function. I do not think people ever think it will happen to them, and pressures of his kind of work must have made steroids practically impossible to avoid. Things like this make it so clear that really, nature is far more powerful than we expect it to be.

burns1de

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Jesus, when are people going to wise-up and stop with all the fucking drugs? It is ruining and ending the lives of too many good people and taking them away from the world.

Yeah, it's about time for the government to step in and put a stop to the distribution of Aspirin, alcohol and nicotine. Damn you, drugs! Damn you to Hell!

Mascman4u

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Talk about selfish !!!!!! Why kill an innocent child ???? VERY SAD

In 2003 his wife filed for Divorce and had a restraining order placed against him saying she feared for her and her son's life because of his violent nature.

3 months later they reconciled, and she dropped the order against him. It appeaers there was a history here.

Another odd thing was that his best friend was Eddy Guerro, a wrestler who died a few years ago from Steroid abuse.

The WWE since Eddy's death said they were taking a hard line against steroid use and was testing there wrestlers.....seems they sorta looked the other way with Chris. I guess an investigation will follow

Being 40 years old, 5'10" and 210 lbs of solid muscle would lend oneself to believing he was using, though that alone is not diffinitive of steroid use, unfortunately all the Steroids they found in the house are.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
This reminds me a bit of the recent death of Rob Sager (AKA Brett Mycles), one of the most perfectly built muscle models. He was only 29 and appeared very healthy, but probably abused steroids.
It's not entirely clear that his presumptive steroid use caused his heart failure ... just a possibility that many people have mentioned.
We had a thread: http://www.lpsg.org/et-cetera-et-cetera/44791-rob-sager-died.html?highlight=brett+mycles

HorsemanUK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Strange you should post this now, I was just browsing Youtube and caught a tribute video to him... a quick google revealed he had infact passed away, but I couldn't find any details confirming how it happened.

A link would be appreciated (I did follow wrestling when I was much younger)

news sources and wwe.com are saying the intial report by local police are treating it as a double murder suicide, wife and kid were found dead in seperate rooms and Benoit himself apparently was last to die hense the suicide bit, news over here in uk suggest the police are waiting on some sort of report to determin how exactly all three died.

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
This is a tragedy, though I don't follow WWF; so, I didn't know who he was. What I do know is that steroids are responsible for a similar problem that landed a friend of mine in jail. He didn't kill anyone, but he threatened physical violence and he did some real property damage.

In my friend's case he researched the stuff, figured out which he should use and how much... resulted in beautiful muscles and confidence that he could abuse his body with other drugs and misuse and still recover. It also resulted in whatever bipolar tendencies he already had being exacerbated so that he gyrated between actual suicide attempts and complete disregard for any planning. Fortunately he is now out of jail, clean and seems stable.

Of course, there will always be the guys like George Burns who smoked cigars and still lived to be 100? And then there's Arnold S. who seems to have survived his steroid years and become a somewhat respected governor. The problem is that we know that steroids and nicotine are dangerous, but some insist on believing they will be the lucky few who are not negatively effected.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think it's really sad, and even sadder is that it will continue to happen. I think there is too much emphasis on being the best...being undefeated...too much pressure and not realistic, but then, maybe that's just me. I remember when Lyle Alazondo died of a brain tumor brought on by his use of steroids and his death bringing awareness to the problem, but sadly, all these years later it's still going on.

BigFan

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
For any who are interested in more information, I am currently watching a story on this on Scarborough Country on MSNBC. These shows all repeat at least once throughout the night/morning, so no matter your time zone, you should be able to catch it. If not, try the MSNBC website.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My guess is that this tragedy has more to do with a perpetrator/captive dynamic in the relationship than with anabolic steroids. As of about ten years ago, when I last studied this, highly respected medical/psychiatric experts (Yesalis, Pope) were saying that the primary risk of steroids are of a legal nature.
Judith Herman has written brilliantly and extensively about these sorts of relationships.
Dave

Duality

Experimental Member
Media
I first got into pro wrestling right around the formation of the nWo (1996). I was 11 years old. Since then, I have always considered myself a fan of the sport, and have always defended it with more passion than any of you defend your favorite sports team. People in my life have long since learned: don't put down wrestling in front of Duality, lest they want to be made to look like a fool for the next hour.

These guys give their body for our entertainment, and to put it simply, aside from a few top stars (Hogan, Rock, etc.) are not given enough in return. This is just another in a long long long line of pro wrestling related tragedies. They've only gotten worse in time. Now a wife (who I realize was also part of the wrestling biz for a period) and child have died on top of a grappler. It's disturbing and disgusting.

I haven't watched WWE programming in months (I mostly just watch TNA nowadays... the 'McMahon' way of things just isn't entertaining to me anymore, on top of the fact that his family is one of the biggest reasons why these guys aren't 'given enough in return'). But I turned on RAW last night, knowing there was supposed to be a comedy show centerred around the supposed 'death' of Vince McMahon - 'so bad it's good TV', I figured. However, when I turned on the TV, on the screen was Chris Benoit vs Dean Malenko from WCW Hog Wild. I was excited at first - a solid PPV match involving two of the best technical wrestlers of my time on free TV? Awesome! Then the 'remembering Chris Benoit' graphic appeared on screen. I was floored. I immediately went online, and discovered his family was killed too.

I cried last night, not a lot but the fact remains. Within a year of my jumping from WCW fandom to WWE fandom, Benoit jumped ship too. He was always on my TV, for a decade. For half my life. Easily one of my favorite wrestlers... and all things considered, one of my favorite television personalities, ever.

And I wake up this morning to find the story completely changed. He wasn't found dead with his family, he killed his family, then himself. What the fuck?! I still can't believe it. This news has left me unsettled in a way no news story has in years. I can't get this outta my head.

Maybe some good can come of this. Maybe the public will start to see just what a minefield the life of a pro wrestler is. After all, if things don't change, this will happen again.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don't know if anyone on here watches or ever watched wrestling, but I am just sickened by the news about Chris Benoit killing his wife and seven year-old son and then hanging himself. Not only did he choose to take two lives (one an innocent child) but as it turns out it may have been brought on by anabolic steroids. I know people who have met him and they said that he was a seriously down-to-earth, sincere guy. Industry people are shocked because he was such a dedicated family man. He and his wife had some issues a few years back, which now also appear to have been steroid related. Jesus, when are people going to wise-up and stop with all the fucking drugs? It is ruining and ending the lives of too many good people and taking them away from the world.

I think that it is weird that WWE would have tribute to this guy...a guy who used steroids and kills his family and himself. What kind of example is that? I think that it is fucked up.

classyron

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think that it is weird that WWE would have tribute to this guy...a guy who used steroids and kills his family and himself. What kind of example is that? I think that it is fucked up.

When they found out the facts they pulled all of the tributes and merchandise.