Christa McAuliffe quite exploded

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
A few weeks ago we were assigned to watch The Importance of Being Earnest. In that movie, Algernon talks about his countryside friend. They ask him what happened to him, and he says that he died: "He quite exploded." Then I watch a documentary about Christa McAuliffe last night, and I realized the same could be said about her.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A few weeks ago we were assigned to watch The Importance of Being Earnest. In that movie, Algernon talks about his countryside friend. They ask him what happened to him, and he says that he died: "He quite exploded." Then I watch a documentary about Christa McAuliffe last night, and I realized the same could be said about her.

This was totally inappropriate. THough what you say is true and to some degree witty, it is quite insensitive.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Bad. Very bad. And in poor taste to boot. Glad to see you remember someone's dying in such a tragic accident coinciding with a movie.:mad:

This was totally inappropriate. THough what you say is true and to some degree witty, it is quite insensitive.
No matter how truthful it might've been, it still was in extremely bad taste.

I know. I'm going to hell.
Yup, and i hope you have asbestos underwear too.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
Yeah, and that's some great female empowerment on display in your avatar. It's not like you're reducing women to sexual objects or anything. :rolleyes:

About McAuliffe, it's sad she died, obviously. But for the life of me, I could never figure out what the fuck they were doing sending a teacher into space. The documentary said she was going to teach from space. Um ... WHY? :eek:

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Besides being tasteless the O/P is mostly wrong.

It's been fully disclosed that the crew cabin separated intact from the shuttle and the force of the blast wasn't strong to kill them. It's estimated they may have survived the fall to the surface -if- the cabin didn't decompress. I don't recall NASA ever disclosing whether the cabin decompressed. I know the immediate families were given a "best guess" but that's all.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media

She didn't explode: the vehicle burned, heated up and probably everyone "fried" and it hits the water, falling into pieces.

Trying to stretch a metaphor just to make a point?

What for?

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
Well, I'm sure it was very inspiring for her students to watch their teacher explode on national television. This documentary had footage of her students gathered in a room, balloons everywhere, wearing party hats, all looking at the screen with this stunned look on their faces. It was sick. It was like they were celebrating her death.

To inspire children to take an interest in science.

Do you know what her last words were?

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Yeah, and that's some great female empowerment on display in your avatar. It's not like you're reducing women to sexual objects or anything. :rolleyes:

About McAuliffe, it's sad she died, obviously. But for the life of me, I could never figure out what the fuck they were doing sending a teacher into space. The documentary said she was going to teach from space. Um ... WHY? :eek:

She was to have set up a Telstar system/relay and would have been seen on many TV's in many schools throughout the USA. It was a good idea. It was tragic what happened. Kids had to learn about death instead of watching a teacher do interesting stuff in zero G.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
Besides being tasteless the O/P is mostly wrong.

It's been fully disclosed that the crew cabin separated intact from the shuttle and the force of the blast wasn't strong to kill them. It's estimated they may have survived the fall to the surface -if- the cabin didn't decompress. I don't recall NASA ever disclosing whether the cabin decompressed. I know the immediate families were given a "best guess" but that's all.

Oh, no. I distinctly remember some government agent making a speech that went, "Christa McAuliffe blazed a trail into space." I'm not kidding. He said that. Not realizing how literal his words were. Merely descriptive, it would seem.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Well, I'm sure it was very inspiring for her students to watch their teacher explode on national television. This documentary had footage of her students gathered in a room, balloons everywhere, wearing party hats, all looking at the screen with this stunned look on their faces. It was sick. It was like they were celebrating her death.

You are drawing closer to the line of pointlessness and revealing your lack of empathy again. I saw all that stuff on TV too. My nephews were devastated at the footage. They were expecting some "fun stuff".

Stop being a prick.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
She was to have set up a Telstar system/relay and would have been seen on many TV's in many schools throughout the USA. It was a good idea. It was tragic what happened. Kids had to learn about death instead of watching a teacher do interesting stuff in zero G.

In other words, it was a NASA publicity stunt gone nightmarish, and as a means of distracting from the incompetence and stupidity of the whole thing, they made her into a hero -- when the poor thing never really did anything. (I remember hearing that NASA knew there were problems with the shuttle but allowed it to go through because they were behind schedule.)

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
You are drawing closer to the line of pointlessness and revealing your lack of empathy again. I saw all that stuff on TV too. My nephews were devastated at the footage. They were expecting some "fun stuff".

Stop being a prick.

The Titanic was tragic. It was also, like Challenger, an example of hubris.