Christians Angry Over Gay Rights Laws ....

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Nelly Gay, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Nelly Gay

Nelly Gay New Member

LONDON:
    Hundreds of Christians staged a torch-lit demonstation against laws designed to protect lesbians and gays from discrimination. The demonstartors claim the laws will stop people making decisions based on their faith and say they "actively condone and promote" gay sex.

2. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, they really are being unfairly deprived of their rights, they should be able to use those torches for burning us at the stake, as they used to.

I'm so sympathetic, I'm setting fire to myself right nowwwwwwwwwwwww

3. hunGreek

hunGreek Member

does anyone care really? let them do their thing and the rest of the planet will do theirs..

4. Onslow

Gold Member

Discrimination against Queers? You must be jesting! As far as torches go this could be a major mistake--unless there were 3 of them with music in which case it could be viewed as a torch song trilogy. (Don't blame me, I don't write the jokes I just pass them along).

Two thingss here Nelly Gay I would like to know, where did you accquire this information from--BBC or London Times or the Sun or sonmething else? I like to know these things so I can look for followup stories, if any by the same media. Also, were thesee Christinas from any particular sect of Christianity?

5. Onslow

Gold Member

Funny thing is people said the same thing when a weird house painter by the name of Adolph started going after Queers back in the early 1920s over in Germany and we saw how that didn't effect anybody (well, with the exception of Queers, Jews, Jehovahs Witnesses, handicapped folks, and hundreds of thousands of others who didn't fit into the Aryan mold--which even old Hitler himself failed to fit into,) It doesn't take much for death squads to start working their elimination tactics,

One person starts a protest, otheres join in and get support and media attention and more support and the next thing laws which were designed to protect YOUR rights are negated and new laws put in place which put YOUR LIFE in danger.

Years back there was often an attitude of as long as the Queer doesn;t live on my block its okay and as long as he amuses me it's even okay if he is in a movie or on television. One day some Queers revolted (more revolting than even I am at times) and protested their lack of freedoms--freedom to hold hands, kiss or embrace in public. Because of that you can walk or crawl down the street with your head held high and progress has been slowlyt made over the years, torch protests such as this can turn into a reversal of laws which were designed to protect and after the Queers are shot down, the same so called Christians may go after people who are agnostic or atheist or after Asians or people with any African heritage. Think careful about this before deciding that a group staging a protest against freedoms is perfectly okay--it's not, it is dangerous for aLL.

6. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

The protesters were supposedly from a 'variety of faith backgrounds', although from the images, they look to be the usual bunch of 'rent-a-mob' reprobates with a fundamentalist agenda:

---> Scotsman.com News - Latest News - Challenge to gay rights laws fails

This is the Catholic Archbishop whose remarks first helped to give momentum to this backlash against proposed gay anti-discrimination laws:

---> Don' Impose Your Morality: Catholic Archbishop Attacks Gay Rights Bill

7. Onslow

Gold Member

Thank you.

8. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

Well, let's put that assertion to the test.

Let's revisit these same protestors (or even better, the organizers of the protest) - say, 6 months after the laws are passed. I'm betting that they are still making decisions based on their "faith" and are still as bigoted as ever.

What's wrong with condoning gay sex, anyway? It's not as if hitherto straight people are suddenly going to convert because gay sex is now trendy... :rolleyes:

But we are treading on old ground here....

9. stetree

stetree New Member

Albums:
    There is nothing wrong with condoning gay sex, I mean I condone straight sex so u know what they say alls fair in love and war :biggrin1: .

And your right they dont become gay becouse its trendy they say they are bi so they dont have to do anything lol

10. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Straight sex has been condoned forever and a day so why are there so many gays around? Surely all this condoning would have made them straight would it not?

11. D_Herin_Ghan

D_Herin_Ghan Account Disabled

Fundamentalists are an embarassment to Christians everywhere.

12. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I think this quote sums up the rich hypocrisy of these types:

Archbishop Nichols gave his scathing verdict in a sermon in St Chad's Cathedral. He told the congregation: "The Government must realise that it is not possible to seek co-operation with us while at the same time trying to impose upon us conditions which contradict our moral values.

So, it is his god-given mandate to impose his moral values upon me, but it is unacceptable for me to impose my moral values upon him. Right.

13. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Yes DC that is exactly how "They" want it to be. Yet another of example of Politics and Church cross pollinating. Never the twain shall meet in my book.

Religion in politics has been discussed to death already on LPSG. I don't know why any of us are even surprised although that does not stop our anger and frustration.

I know that this is something you guys in America have had to contend with a lot in recent years. It is far less common in the UK. The worrying thing is that the UK tends to follow American trends with a few years time lapse. This is one I would not like to see cross the Atlantic.

14. B_bennekom

B_bennekom New Member

Fucking religion of ALL types.All it does is get in the way of human growth.Wars? Bigotry?Religion (regardless of the flavor) is at the root of it.Morons.

15. JustAsking

Gold Member

Haha, yes, I never thought of that. Its as if their premise is that gay sex is a guilty pleasure and the only thing that keeps people from doing it is the church not condoning it. Yikes, what idiots.

I think I am going to put this on a bumper sticker.

This whole thing sucks, but I do have to interject that this is what laws are all about. Someone's morality is being imposed on the general public, one way or the other. For example, laws against murder are there because of a moral imposition. This church-gay thing still sucks, though. I can't argue with that.

I does look like this is starting to happen and I am deeply ashamed and sorry that we (the US) are starting to export stupidity to the rest of the world. It seems there are US organizations actively organizing in the UK for teaching alternative theories to Evolution.

However, don't forget that this is the legacy of driving out all the Puritans, Anabaptists, etc from England such that they came over here to settle. Actually, its really not funny.

I particularly like the Nazi comparison that someone made in a previous post. Its that kind of rhetoric that is needed to wake people up. I am sure that there were plenty of moralistic justifications that the Nazis used early on for castigating certain ethnic groups and gays. Its a slippery slope. It might be valuable for us to go and see if we can find any old speeches that Nazis made about gays and refer to them in OP-ED letters to newspapers.

16. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I cannot fully agree with your comments. There are some who feel the need to get others to live by their morals and standards but not all.

Try reading some of JustAsking's and Freddie53's posts on the subject of Religion. They are shining examples of how people of faith should behave towards others.

17. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Right on cue - I was writing this as JA posted his - and not as a response to what he posted.

As usual JA some great points and food for thought for all.

18. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    Normally, when Hitler is brought up in a forum discussion, the discussion is dead.

But, since the parallels are particularly disturbing, it's actually relevant.

Comparing gay rights to murder being illegal isn't a fair comparison, though. Gay rights laws enable people to be good to each other; laws against murder prevent (or recommend) people being bad to each other. To protest against gay rights is to wish bad things upon other people.

I'll say this -- if more Christians are offended by this kind of anti-human behavior, then they really should speak up and help squash the fundamentalists.

I'll ALSO say this: If the fundamentalists are so focused on the nitty-gritty of biblical doctrine, then they must be correctly following biblical doctrine. And, if this is what the good book REALLY means...

19. JustAsking

Gold Member

Lee,
    Yes, I am in complete agreement with you. I only brought up the murder laws because although they are "obvious" laws, they still represent someone's idea of morality. And everyone with those particular morals consider murder to be a danger to society. Similarly, fundamantalists consider homosexuality to be dangerous to society. I am not defending it, however.

That being said, I agree with your differentiation. Restricting someone's rights should only happen when there is a clear and present danger to society. Gay marriages certainly don't qualify for that. In fact, the irony is that the fundamentalists are causing laws to come into effect that restrict the ability of gay people to have loving, long lasting relationships that are protected under the law. They are in a sense promoting promiscuity instead of stable relationships. Idiots, for sure.

I agree completely with your notion that mainstream Christians should be strident and vocal about fundamentalism. That's why I advocate using the "Nazi" language. If enough mainstream Christians feel guilty by association, then perhaps they will begin to articulate how fundamentalism is religion gone nasty.

20. dags

dags New Member

I'm sorry they feel that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted