Christians barred from being foster carers decide not to launch appeal

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by B_stanmarsh14, Mar 11, 2011.

1. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

A CHRISTIAN couple have decided not to appeal against a High Court decision that ruled their views on homosexuality were a bar to them becoming foster carers.

Justice prevails for once.

No matter who the respective foster parents are, long as they can offer a child who by it's own right has gone through a traumatic experience as it is, a loving family with a stable relationship, that is what matters most.

Religious beliefs should NOT be a condition in taking a child on, as it will end up breeding a discriminable attertude in to the kid.

2. MickeyLee

Gold Member

first... the article says the couple fell short of qualifying... one of reason listed happened to be religious belief. going by the photograph the husband is outside of age qualifications. there might also be issues with finances, housing, stability, etc.,. as usual the most sensational aspect gets the headline.

if religion is the only hold up - how would teaching a child to discriminate against homosexuals, and no doubt other undesirable types, be considered a loving family and a stable home environment?

would you be okay with white supremist couple adopting a child? knowing they will teach jr all the hate they can muster? no, most people would instantly support the court’s decision.

of course religious belief should be considered. the conservative Christians have moved far away from the humble, modest, loving and life in the service of christ message. They teach hate, prejudice and worse... check out a documentary Jesus Camp to get an idea of what devout Christians are doing to their children.

back to the foster kid in question, what if he/she turned out to queer? how would these people react to the child? how would their bigotry affect this child's sense of worth/self?

if gay people can't adopt children, christians can't foster a kid.
    i mean christians are the main reason gay people can't adopt children, seems fair to me.

3. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

Whilst I can see why you would feel this way, we also seam to forget who is the most important one here, the child.

We are lucky in the UK (Via an EU directive I believe), in that foster agency's et al, are NOT permitted to discriminate on the grounds of sexuality.

No amount of pro / anti bigotry should ever get in the way of bringing up a child, and especially ones that are fostered, as very often, they have gone through so much trauma already as it is.

As Gandhi once said..... an eye for an eye, leaves everyone blind.

#3 B_stanmarsh14, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  4. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    What if the child happens to grow up to be gay? How is that a loving environment?

That articles states that they were rejected because of their views on homosexuality, not because they are Christian. I agree with this decision. I would not if it said that they were rejected because they were Christian. Defending your own bigotry using religion as a basis doesn't make it permissible. A rule disallowing bigots from fostering children, regardless of the reason for that bigotry, doesn't sound discriminatory to me. Non-Christian homophobes aren't allowed to foster children either. That makes it a non-biased decision.

#4 petite, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  5. Meniscus

Gold Member

It's hard to take a position on this case because I don't know the exact guidelines, the rationale behind them, and in what way(s) this couple failed to meet them.

On the very broad question of whether or not Christians should be allowed to foster kids...as much as I don't want them passing on their views on homosexuality, the alternative is for the state to start scrutinizing religions and deciding which are OK and which are not. Or we decide that no one who holds beliefs that aren't rationally or empirically verifiable (i.e., anyone who is religious) can foster a child. Either way, you have the state supporting some religions over others, or taking an anti-religion stance. That's a dangerous in more ways that my poor, tired brain can even begin to contemplate.

6. MickeyLee

Gold Member

this, what Ms. Petite said.

Draft saved Draft deleted