Christina Fucks Up The National Anthem @ The Super Bowl

D

deleted15807

That's what you get when someone is trying to over-impress, instead of just sincerely relying on their talent.

Concentrating on all that unnecessary change up totally messed her up

That is her Achilles heel. She constantly incessantly tries to stamp her style on every song and it ends up being one big warble session. She's got an amazing strong voice however it's just difficult to find it with all the vocal gymnastics she throws in.

as for Whitney.....

yes as for Whitney.........
Houston's recording of "The Star Spangled Banner" reached the number twenty on the Hot 100 Singles chart in March 1991, making her the only act to turn the national anthem into a pop hit. The single was re-released in September 2001 and peaked at number six on the chart, becoming the first and the only version of the national anthem to achieve that feat in music history.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight

B_Shurewood

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, it is the national anthem -- a song America has chosen to use as a cue to identify itself. I find it truly disheartening that you have integrated that one simple song so strongly into your own identity ...

Previous generations grew-up with a deep reverence for that song and were taught to take pride in this country - NOT to disrespect it in an effort to glorify your own "talents." Yes, I DO identify with that song and proudly so. Your apparent lack of patriotism is disturbing. It is difficult to "celebrate" a performance where the singer does not even care enough to learn the correct words to the national anthem of the country that has provided her with whatever "success" she apparently enjoys. It's just a moment in time ... "forgive and forget" I guess ... I've already forgotten ... what's her last name again? (No, don't tell me ... 'cause I don't care!)

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
She is a good singer, and overreached badly on that one. I can't really diss her, because it's an extremely difficult tune and I've heard it done a lot worse by other so-called 'professionals'. I found Christina's version difficult to listen to, and won't be returning to the Youtube link where I heard it. This is what I listened to to wash her out of my ears: YouTube - Marvin Gaye sings American National Anthem

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Previous generations grew-up with a deep reverence for that song and were taught to take pride in this country - NOT to disrespect it in an effort to glorify your own "talents." Yes, I DO identify with that song and proudly so. Your apparent lack of patriotism is disturbing. It is difficult to "celebrate" a performance where the singer does not even care enough to learn the correct words to the national anthem of the country that has provided her with whatever "success" she apparently enjoys. It's just a moment in time ... "forgive and forget" I guess ... I've already forgotten ... what's her last name again? (No, don't tell me ... 'cause I don't care!)

I don't mean to answer for Paige but I have to say that you are only half-right. I'm not an American but I can see where you are coming from. You should take pride in your country and respect it but just because one person sang a song poorly does not mean that they are disrespecting America. It simply means that they can't sing the national anthem. I agree that she should have learnt the words and could have sang better but your cultural identity has nothing to do with Christina Aguilera and everything to do with you. My point sir is that your country has not been disgraced by this, at worst merely embarrassed and Paige is no less patriotic for thinking differently to you. Anyway, I wish you well. :smile:

B_Shurewood

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
... It simply means that they can't sing the national anthem. ... :smile:
Thanks for your comments "ManofThunder." Your points are well-taken. If one is not up to the task at hand ... then don't take the gig in the first place. Stay home and practice your warbling on some other tune. :smile:

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks for your comments "ManofThunder." Your points are well-taken. If one is not up to the task at hand ... then don't take the gig in the first place. Stay home and practice your warbling on some other tune. :smile:

You're very welcome. We can both agree that she was not as good as she could have been. :smile:

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You do all know that the melody for the Star Spangled Banner is actually an old British drinking song, right? Maybe it's better to have a few before trying to sing it...

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Serves them right for not hiring a natural blonde to do the job. I've always said bleach and peroxide kills the brain cells.
On a side note maybe she thought they could dub it after the take.
But seriously there is no excuse.
It was pointed out to me via a telephone message today that I blew ( had a little skirmish with the high notes) the national anthem once too... I'm happy it was not on national television and the lead on the news the next day. My apologies.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
She's got a lot of talent. I can't be bothered to be upset by the fact that she messed up the words.

Besides, I'd be a hypocrite. I've sung it a million times and I still get them wrong. :redface

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
By the way, did anyone actually watch the Superbowl for the sporting event? :biggrin1:
Fantastic game! One of the best SB's in recent memory, not the least reason because it was so clean, only 13 penalties, 1 bogus and 2 questionable. Great work on both sides, plenty of exciting plays and just enough turnovers, requisite drama to the end, and Aaron Rodgers was flawless and unflappable. When AR won the MVP and drove off in a shiny red convertible, somewhere in a cheap motel room "retired" Packers QB Brett Favre was drinking himself into a stupor, and hopefully not texting pics of his penis.

I liked the commercials. :tongue:
Ordinarily I'd agree, but the commercials were weak this year, imho.

She's got a lot of talent. I can't be bothered to be upset by the fact that she messed up the words.

Besides, I'd be a hypocrite. I've sung it a million times and I still get them wrong. :redface
It's not that hard to get distracted and lose your place, even with songs you know well, maybe even more when you take them for granted. Even Sinatra flubbed the lyric to his signature song New York, New York when he debuted it live in 1978, awkwardly repeating a phrase (just like Christina did) "king of the hill" and worse, right at the very climax of the song. Frank would probably say it was intentional, but I'm guessing his giant ego wouldn't allow him to admit he made a mistake in public. In his most famous recording of it, he changed the phrase to "A number one", but weirdly still continued to repeat it. It always grates on me when I hear that, and lyricist Frank Ebb hated it. Like a lot of artists, the performer's personality and stylings overwhelm the song, but let's face it, who can top ol' Blue Eyes? Well for my money, Liza, who stuck to the original lyric. Wanna see how a living legend can stay true to a song, still put her own unique stamp on it, feel it in her bones, sell it like it's never been sold, and blow an entire f'n stadium to bits? Live?? This is how it's done. :smile:

Prince did the best halftime show. That is all.
You just think that because he flashed his Large Pointy Penis. :shock:

Last edited:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Yeah, game got interesting in the second half, not that I've ever been a fan of either Packers or Steelers. Fact is, first time I've ever rooted for Green Bay was when they faced Atlanta in the playoff.

But I gotta say that early penalty against GB for "excessive celebration" after that 1st interception (and TD) SUCKED. WTF?? Guy had a right to be a little happy, eh? Not liked he danced and all that...

Hey! Why don't they have a flag for that IRL?? Like for weddings. 5 tier cake, ok...but 7 and up?? And one outfit change by the bride, well... but more than one?? Definitely. Ice sculptures?? You betcha. And any reception that has a cocktail hour, a buffet, ANd a formal dinner?? - 15 freakin' yards AND a loss of down. That'll teach 'em.

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Maxcok, thanks for that link. Liza completely sold that song! Amazing.

Well for my money, Liza, who stuck to the original lyric. Wanna see how a living legend can stay true to a song, still put her own unique stamp on it, feel it in her bones, sell it like it's never been sold, and blow an entire f'n stadium to bits? Live?? This is how it's done. :smile:

You just think that because he flashed his Large Pointy Penis. :shock:

D

deleted15807

She actually nails it in rehearsal but she skipped out on the finish :smile:

Rehearsal

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't watch football, but viewed the performance, and thought she did great. I wouldn't have noticed the word-flub had it not been pointed out. I like to hear new versions of songs, especially in the jazz genre, and see nothing disrespectful about doing this with our anthem. This to me displays the spirit of freedom exemplified by the words to our anthem.

YouTube - Charles Ives Organ "Variations on America" John Hong