Christmas Letters: Are you sending one out?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

I started doing my Christmas cards last night and was debating whether or not to include one of those letters that tells about my 'year in review'.

I have in past years done the letter thing but the last two years I have either been so depressed or physically ill due to a variety of maladies I didn't even send out cards. :frown1: This year I am feeling better but I think a letter updating folks on my surgeries and such would be depressing. I have noticed that many of these 'holiday letters' tend to be a bit bragadocious.

Do you like receiving a holiday letter that includes an update of that person/familys year?

Do you send out a 'holiday letter'?

How would you feel if you received a holiday letter that wasn't all sunshine and happiness?

2. dong20

Gold Member

Never received one. I tend to get this information first hand.

Nope. Is this a personal custom or a more generalised Americanism?

The same as I'd feel if I received any other such letter.

3. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Personally I feel anyone who'd be interested enough in my life to want to read a letter about it would already know what's been going on in my life.

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

My highly publicized visit with the Pope after discovering a universal cure for the common cold and my welcomed invention of a successful global cooling machine which runs on dust is nobody's damn business.

5. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have received those from friends and they always seem too full of success. You know- George got a big promotion, Jonny finished law school summa cum laud, little sister starred in the class play etc etc... puke. On the other hand I definitely wouldn't to hear all about their problems.

In fact, I thought of sending out a bogus one- I recovered almost all of the kids school trust fund which I lost at the track, Jonny is recovering from crack addiction nicely, little sis had a wonderful 7 lb baby boy and we're pretty sure who the father is!

Why not just send a letter saying how happy you are to be alive and how wonderful it is to have such good friends?

6. D_Roland_D_Hay

D_Roland_D_Hay Account Disabled

I wouldn't send one out, but I don't mind receiving them, especially from people that I don't hear from that often, like an old college buddy or an old friend that I don't keep in touch with much any more. Some of the letters completely brag about the familiy's success, while others are more informative. Sometimes they actually make me laugh--that might not be the intent, but sometimes those letters are so damn silly they make me laugh

Personally, I would make it sunshine and happiness...those are much better. While you may have been ill you could report on how well you are doing and focus on the positives... I say go for it.

7. Principessa

Gold Member

I was thinking about that as an alternative. A few years ago a good friend got divorced and his normally cheery letter, detailed his ex-wifes cheating and lieing to him and many others for months. Since I had been updated as it happend I wasn't shocked by the news.

8. Principessa

Gold Member

I understand why you may feel that way. But I have been blessed with a great number of friends. Some from grad school and college I only converse with quarterly via e-mail. But we still send each other birthday and holiday cards. I know e-cards are quicker, easier; and free, but I think it's nice to take the time to pick out a card, put a stamp on it, and take it to the post office. In this fast paced world we live in I think it says 'I care.' :redface::smile:

9. RedScrotum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think a few lines hand written inside the card is more personal than a typed generic 'we're so wonderful' letter stuffed in with the card.

10. Hippie Hollow Girl

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You sound like me. I like to do the Christmas card thing and I like to add a personal note but I don't say the same thing to everybody. It depends on who I am talking too what my relationship is like with that person and what I want that person to know about my past year. I send a lot of basic Christmas cards with cheery greetings to extended family just to let them know I am thinking of them at this time of the year.

But I like you have already started my Christmas cards...... but I haven't finished them yet. I have good intentions but sometimes the holidays get so crazy. And then I end up just sending the short and sweet...... I am thinking about you cards. But I keep people on their toes..... They don't know whether they are going to get a card from me or not. And it may not make it until after Christmas. I think it is the thought that counts. People that we care about need to know that we care or think about them. We need to do this all year round but the holidays are a good reminder to keep in touch. We need to cherish our family and friends while we still have them.

11. Principessa

Gold Member

I addressed all my cards tonight and they will be sent out in the morning. :cool::smile:

I did not do a letter or even a poem which is unusual for me. People love my poems and haiku; but I have been creatively blocked lately. :rolleyes::redface:

12. D_golden parachute

D_golden parachute New Member

I don't even send cards...

13. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

I HATE Christmas letters. No one ever says anything bad that happened during the year. It's always "Little Timmy, at age 5, scored a perfect 1600 on his SAT and will be attending Harvard in the Fall." Say something that tells me that you're human. "We were saddened by the loss of Grandma at age 104, but give thanks for her long life and legacy." I got a Christmas letter from some friends of mine who talked about how this year they bought a new boat, two new jet-skis, spent two weeks in the Virgin Islands, etc. It was over the top! I would prefer a poem, a brief note that says "we think of you often and cherish your friendship" or something like that, if you are compelled to write a greeting.

Keep it simple and just wish people a Merry Christmas. :biggrin1:

14. Osiris

Gold Member

We do a "Year End Wrap Up" e-mail to all our friends and family stating what we have done and what has gone on complete with pictures.

15. Northland

Gold Member

After the 10th consecutive boring holiday letter from Ann, I can tell you one thing- run the letter by a few close friends first to see how they react. They can keep the letter from being a brag-fest or a slumber-fest. (slumber-fest?!)

One year it was a page on Ann's new fucking car- it had genuine plastic on the sides that looked like wood! She even gave the color of the interior, the type of tires she was using and how many grocery sacks fit on the back seat.

The next year, Ann moved into her very own condo! She took 3 pages to tell us how it was different from her old apartment since she could now select paint colors. That letter also mentioned how many feet it was from the front door to the kitchen for putting away the grocery sacks. Later in the letter we were happy to read about the number of electrical outlets and that there was a double-roller toilet paper dispenser in the bath. I kept staring at the return address which was listed as being on some Parkway- it didn't sound too quiet.

This year the letter was very (mercifully) short. In it we read about her new great nephew. She appears to love him-although she mainly wanted to discuss the movie Them and then compare herself to James Bond.

One year the letter arrived in April and she explained that she had been purchasing new slipcovers that would match her drapes. Or maybe that was the year she went on and on about the dimensions of her walk-in closet. Or was it about her dementia?

I suppose it wouldn't be so bad, except she keeps addressing them to my mother who has been dead more than a decade. Several times I wrote back telling her this; but, that didn't help. I now receive birthday cards for my dead mother as well! It occurred to me that it was pointless to keep telling Ann anything, so I stopped about 3 years ago.

I also receive an annual tome from a man who tells me everything about his grandchildren. And I mean everything! Each and every grade they get in school, all their honors and all their errors as well. It seems little Velda beat up some boy at school and when told to apologize, not only refused, she went over to the principal and punched him. Velda was removed from the school and sent for pshyciatric tests- she turned 10 in August. His grandson Axton- who the hell names their kid Axton?- apparently celebrated after winning a little league game by eating too much candy and- well, the aftermath wasn't pretty. Of course this man also tells me every one of his health concerns. Turns out he had a bunyon which developed into a rather ugly infection. There was also the splinter he got lodged in his pinky finger under the nail. On the bright side he never tells me about his home or car.

I think next year, I'll just toss all the holiday mail in the shredder without opening it.

16. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

I've only received one and it was awful. Maybe if it was happy.

No, and not anytime soon. Maybe when I'm retired.

I have. See below.

Well, you should have read the letter that I received a few years back!
    I send out Christmas cards not holiday cards, and I may write a few words but not a letter. I received a Christmas letter only once and it was so depressing I hope I never receive another one like it again.

The entire letter was so negative and all about her illnesses, hospitalizations, and medical tests. Then she went on and on about her family and who was getting divorced, who suffered a breakdown, who lost their job. There wasn't one positive thing in that letter.

17. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

[rant]ARGH![/rant]

My partner and I usually print up two different sets of holiday letters - the "family-friendly" one we send to family and business associates; the other one, a little more "open" in some areas, that we send to more like-minded folks.

We don't send a list of our illnesses nor crowning achievements. It's more like "things got pretty hectic in the spring, business trips about twice a month, and we squeezed in a mini-vacation while we were in Orlando in April for a conference" or "we've settled nicely in our new house, and after a year, finally got those last boxes unpacked... so now, we have a real guest room!"

For the more open letter, it's things like "We didn't make it to Chicago for IML this year, but we did get to spend a weekend there for CHC's Associate Applicant Weekend. Mid-Atlantic Leather is still a 'go'."

We also write a shorter, personal message in each card.

18. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

I would assume they know what that means. I just read it a few times and can't figure out what the hell you are talking about. :confused::confused:

19. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Don't be silly. Forward the letters from the gentleman to Ann and hers to him.

Either both will get the hint or they'll couple up.

Imagine the letter the following year.:eek:

20. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Suspected reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted