Christmas Music....

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
But it isn't a month ago now, so I don't see how that is relevant to getting ready for Christmas now. And the only holiday I can think of between now and Christmas is Thanksgiving, which is primarily an American holiday, and is almost here.

I start getting ready for the Holiday's 364 days in advance. I buy all the cards for the following year and all of the wrapping paper and ribbon I will need the day after Christmas when it's on sale. I start buying gifts in July and put them away. Around the end of October I address my cards and put stamps on them.(So I can just post them the day after Thanksgiving) This weekend I'm wrapping all of the gifts that need to be mailed and will take them to the post office next Friday.
Then I will start the holiday baking. I usually put my tree up and decorate the apartment the second week of December. It's never too early to start. I was a bit taken aback yesterday when I heard Christmas music playing in the supermarket; they usually start it the day after Thanksgiving.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
I'm curious what holidays you guys have before Christmas?

We celebrate the originally Saint-Nicolas/Santa Claus (Sinterklaas) at the 6th of december. Christmas is a holiday for the Christs, has nothing to do with gifts for children and Santa Claus.
On the 6th of December Saint-Nicolas gives the kids presents.

Here is some information: Sinterklaas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I start getting ready for the Holiday's 364 days in advance. I buy all the cards for the following year and all of the wrapping paper and ribbon I will need the day after Christmas when it's on sale. I start buying gifts in July and put them away. Around the end of October I address my cards and put stamps on them.(So I can just post them the day after Thanksgiving) This weekend I'm wrapping all of the gifts that need to be mailed and will take them to the post office next Friday.
Then I will start the holiday baking. I usually put my tree up and decorate the apartment the second week of December. It's never too early to start. I was a bit taken aback yesterday when I heard Christmas music playing in the supermarket; they usually start it the day after Thanksgiving.

The paper and ribbons thing aren't a bad idea to be sure. And I'm not surprised by the supermarket thing, though it is a bit strange. After all it's a bit early to buy your Christmas dinner, since Thanksgiving dinner hasn't even been served yet. I may be that they play radio stations, or it could be corporate radio that they are required to play.

I don't prepare for the holidays myself though. I'm in no position to get people gifts and the like. I know it is a bit selfish, and I always feel bad about it. I try not to ask for things though, I get what I get. So I never expect anything really expensive or extravagant. Someday though I'll be able to put smiles on their faces with something besides my presence. :wink: :tongue:

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
We celebrate the originally Saint-Nicolas/Santa Claus (Sinterklaas) at the 6th of december. Christmas is a holiday for the Christs, has nothing to do with gifts for children and Santa Claus.
On the 6th of December Saint-Nicolas gives the kids presents.

Here is some information: Sinterklaas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is interesting. For most Americans Christmas is much more about giving than Christ. I know that is how I feel, and have always felt about Christmas. This is a predominately Christian nation, and has been for a while. So I don't see a big deal about us celebrating Christmas while you guys celebrate Sinterklaas. The spirit of them are the same, they just happen to be on different days. The spirit of the holiday is what is important. Maybe it is because my family is, and especially my parents, not religious. I had no idea why it was called Christmas for a long time, and I never saw mangers or depictions of the nativity scene. So I could be wrong on that aspect, but it isn't like I lived under a rock.

I don't mind the consumerism aspect of Christmas either, so long as a bunch of people are happy on the 25th. I know I will be! I'll be with my family eating and having a good time. We also have a birthday on Christmas for a cousin. Actually we'll be having another birthday just after Thanksgiving too.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
Christmas is nice in some ways. But so forced in other ways. At christmas you should be happy and celebrate it with your family. But when something isn't going like it should be or you have an argument or fight, then Christmas is ruined. People just expect too much these days from Christmas.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Isn't it pathetic to be busy with Christmas already...

I think it depends on where you live.

I've already taken advantage of the warm weather and have about half my lights up.
Today, if the weather gets warmer, I'll do the rest.

I've always been a HUGE christmas kid. I've been decorating (tastefully) since I was a little shit.

A proud Bronners Christmas shopper, Christmas Light and ornament collector, Planet Christmas Member, and decorator of many homes - I think it's great people celebrate the season.
(If you want to learn how to do controlled light displays look to Planet Christmas)

We've been fortunate to have warm weather this late in the season, so most folks are putting up, but not lighting until after thanksgiving.

I love about 90% of the christmas songs out there.
There's a few that are especially potent for me

Celene Dion - O' Holy Night

One that is a bitch to deal with is Little Drummer Boy (I always start crying)

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Christmas is nice in some ways. But so forced in other ways. At christmas you should be happy and celebrate it with your family. But when something isn't going like it should be or you have an argument or fight, then Christmas is ruined. People just expect too much these days from Christmas.

But I do remember how pretty your tree was last year. This has always been the time of year to spend with family and friends and share the spirit of the season and enjoy delicious food and love and laughter. The only time the holidays are perfect are on the made for television movies about the holidays. Just relax and enjoy!
http://www.lpsg.org/114690-show-me-your.html

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
But I do remember how pretty your tree was last year. This has always been the time of year to spend with family and friends and share the spirit of the season and enjoy delicious food and love and laughter. The only time the holidays are perfect are on the made for television movies about the holidays. Just relax and enjoy!
http://www.lpsg.org/114690-show-me-your.html

I like decorating me tree...
But last year made me realise that Christmas is overrated, much overrated. I heard things that I didn't expected to hear on christmas... it putted christmas in a whole different light and made me realise that all the fuss about christmas is nothing compared with what happens in daily life.