Christmas Songs that You HATE

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
eddyabs, I didn't listen to the linked song and fortunately there aren't many Cliff Richard Christmas songs over here, but, you have my sympathies if that helps.:smile:

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't like the parody of Karen Carpenter's song. It subs the words to make the song about being sick. The singer sounds like her. I just think is is so disrespectful of her memory. To me without the Carpenters...it would never feel like the season

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I'd like to add to that list, Silent Night. Heresy perhaps, but I've hated that excuse for a funeral dirge since I first heard it.

Welllll, don't have a funeral soon, Jace, unless you've invested in an asbestos soot (possibly a misprint ... not sure ... we'll check in an hour after the headstone settles).
Heresy, indeed.
(You're half right, as usual. It can't be performed in too soupy a way; but with a tad of astringency, it is the bomb.)

Here's my counter post to the OP's subversion: I love: What Child Is This?, O Come O Come Emmanuel, O Little Town of Bethlehem, and Coventry Carol.

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I hate, "I Saw Three Ships Come Sailing in On Christmas Day in the Morning"

It just doesn't make any sense to me at all.
I can't stand traditional carols that are turned into pop songs. Away in a Manger, Dance remix anyone......They just don't work

I do love:
The Coventry Carol
In the Bleak MidWinter (But it can drag if done too slowly)
The Barra Macneils of Nova Scotia do an amazing Celtic version of the Carol of the Bells.
Enya's The Magic of the Night is pretty. My school choir did it this year and it was beautiful. Children's voices, when they are singing correctly, are not "nails on a chalk board" When they are allowed to shout along in any old key I agree, it can be excrutiating!
Silent Night usually tops the list of favourite carols but it all depends on the version. My family had one of those compilation LPs years ago that contained Silent Night sung by Johny Cash! It was terrible. If ever a voice wasn't suited to that song it was his. But then Stevie Nicks did it too and it was really awful as well.

Novaboy

Whopper-lee

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The season is upon us - 24/7 non-stop xmas music stations, every store running the same track of 30 songs. How much can a person take?

Any songs that push you over the yuletide edge?
:smile:

"Jiggle Bells"
.....jiggle these nuts...why don't U.:biggrin1::biggrin1:

Willy_the_Wonka

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
These make me absolutely want to shoot the speakers out.... :mad:

Moose Springsteen's version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town

The Chipmunk abortion song thing

That sanctimonious, pious Live Aid '84 song

Dogs barking Jingle Bells

Grandma got run over by a Reindeer

Pretty much any recent (the last 25 years) pop singer's take (or original song) on Xmas. There are a few exceptions, VERY few.

Stupid kiddy Rudolph/Frosty/Santa stuff. So peurile.

I DO love:

Vince Gauraldi's A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Gothic or Medieval Hymns like:
  • We Three Kings
  • O Holy Night
  • Angels We Have Heard on High
  • Green Sleeves
Singers with talent, range, grace, and CLASS.....basically, anyone from before 1970. Not that I have any, but to hear some of those is more soothing than the viscera of the last couple decades. Again, there are exceptions either way.

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I just heard that Chritmas shoe song that some earlier posters have trashed.

I couldn't agree more!!!!! What crap. And I think someone said that they made the song into a TV movie??!! I have definately added this song to my hate list.

Novaboy