Christmas Traditions

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Bardak thanks for sharing that. Our family celebrated in Hawaii much the same way. I've been wearing red underwear on New Years Eve for as long as I can remember.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I like reading about traditions. However, as you know, so many things on the net are now without reference. One in particular is about candy canes representing the J in Jesus and the blood of christ in the red. This has just been pushed by Chrsitians. It was white forever and just bend candy to hang better for selling on a cart. The red was added later by a candy company for marketing. Whenever I read sites now that list these traditions I look up their candy cane for a ref point of accuracy. Anywho, St Nick is another one that is really played with...I'm not sure the real origin is known...but the one above seems close.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love the German Belsnickles and Black Pete! They don't play. If you have been showing the wrong part of your anatomy all year, Pete leaves you a bundle of switches to take care of the problem. LOL!

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks for that; it was fun to read!

And here I thought you didn't wear underwear! :yikes:
I do on New Years Eve!
Ok, next year i'll spend Christmas in NYC... :biggrin1:

Alas I think I will be in Honolulu next year, but call Nick8 you will have a blast!

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love the German Belsnickles and the Dutch Black Pete! They don't play. If you have been showing the wrong part of your anatomy all year, Pete leaves you a bundle of switches to take care of the problem. LOL!

Of course Black pete has been having it hard lately. There are those who feel his is a racist through back to the dutch part in the slave trade.

Sinterklaas

Sinterklaas has a long red cape, wears a white bishop's dress and red mitre (bishop's hat), and holds a crosier, a long gold coloured staff with a fancy curled top. He carries a big book that tells whether each individual child has been good or naughty in the past year. He traditionally rides a white horse.
[edit] Zwarte Piet

"Zwarte Piet," Sinterklaas' helping hand Black Pete, has his origin in the bishop's legendary past. Three small Moorish boys were sentenced to death for a crime they did not commit. The bishop intervened and they were saved. To show their gratitude, the boys stayed with Sinterklaas to help him, tumbling and jumping on rooftops on Sinterklaas night to deliver presents. Their black skin may refer either to their Moorish background, or to the job of chimneysweep, an option is corroborated by their clothes, reminiscent of an Italian chimneysweep's costume and Pete's rooftop occupation. Another background story for Pete is that he is the devil who was enslaved by Sinterklaas. Nowadays, children in the Netherlands are told that the Pieten work for Sinterklaas voluntarily and that there is a special school in Spain where they learn their trade.

Arrival
Sinterklaas arrives

Sinterklaas traditionally arrives each year in mid-November (usually on a Saturday) by steamboat from Spain (even though the bishop was originally from Asia Minor). Some suggest that gifts associated with the holy man such as Mandarin oranges led to the misconception that he must have been from Spain. He is then paraded through the streets, welcomed by cheering and singing children.[6] This event is broadcasted live on national television in the Netherlands and Belgium. His Zwarte Piet assistants throw candy and small, round, ginger bread-like cookies, either "kruidnoten" or "pepernoten," into the crowd. The children welcome him by singing traditional Sinterklaas songs. Sinterklaas also visits schools, hospitals and shopping centers. After this arrival all towns with a dock have their own "intocht van Sinterklaas" (arrival of Sinterklaas). Local arrivals usually take place on Sunday, the day after he arrives in the Netherlands or Belgium. In places a boat cannot reach, Sinterklaas arrives by train, bus, horse, or even carriage.

Last edited: